Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Using a laptop with indash screen???

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2001, 10:37 PM

Using a laptop with indash screen???

Does anyone know if this is possible? I'd like to have the Pioneer indash screen and hook a laptop up to that so I'd be able to pick and play mp3's off of that, and play dvd's. Does anyone know if it's possible? I know physically hooking everything up would work. But I'm not sure what the video would be like and if when you're in window's and using the indash screen, if any of the words are visible clearly... any help on this matter would help greatly. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-12-2001, 07:18 PM

Go read up on q pc I think they have a way of hooking up laptops...prob not the exact thing your looking for but my give you ideas.
Old 11-12-2001, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by max'n out
Go read up on q pc I think they have a way of hooking up laptops...prob not the exact thing your looking for but my give you ideas.
Sorry I don't think i know what q pc is... is that kinda like PC magazine?
Old 11-13-2001, 07:44 AM

Re: Using a laptop with indash screen???

Originally posted by Keh mon
Does anyone know if this is possible? I'd like to have the Pioneer indash screen and hook a laptop up to that so I'd be able to pick and play mp3's off of that, and play dvd's. Does anyone know if it's possible? I know physically hooking everything up would work. But I'm not sure what the video would be like and if when you're in window's and using the indash screen, if any of the words are visible clearly... any help on this matter would help greatly. Thanks in advance.
I know some of the .org members have done PC install in their car. I think this is possible if you have a laptop with TV out. I know my dell does. I dont know how clear the video would be though. If the video on your regular screen is clear when you use tv out from your laptop, it should be preety good. Also, hooking up laptop would make more sense if it works, cuz if you park on street you can take it home with you and also it would be easy to transfer mp3s to laptop then having a pc in your car. Any more input guys?????
Old 11-13-2001, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by Keh mon

Sorry I don't think i know what q pc is... is that kinda like PC magazine?
q-pc is in car computer...they do alot of different kinds of in car computer entertainment...including full computer systems with wireless internet and mpegs...like i said this is prob more than ya want but might help ya look around a little.
www.q-pc.com
Old 11-13-2001, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by 1Phat Max

I know some of the .org members have done PC install in their car. I think this is possible if you have a laptop with TV out. I know my dell does. I dont know how clear the video would be though. If the video on your regular screen is clear when you use tv out from your laptop, it should be preety good. Also, hooking up laptop would make more sense if it works, cuz if you park on street you can take it home with you and also it would be easy to transfer mp3s to laptop then having a pc in your car. Any more input guys?????
yeah that's exactly why I love this idea... the only thing that stays in my car is the screen... Plus I'd have use to map's on cd's, hooking up a gps unit that my dad has to the laptop, mp3's, dvd's, divx also which is good. anything else? wireless ethernet maybe? who knows.

Originally posted by max'n out

q-pc is in car computer...they do alot of different kinds of in car computer entertainment...including full computer systems with wireless internet and mpegs...like i said this is prob more than ya want but might help ya look around a little.
www.q-pc.com
Yeah I'm just looking to add an indash screen to the laptop... thanks for the help and the link... I'm checkin that out now.