Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Bose question (in DEPTH)...please help..?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 11:26 PM

Bose question (in DEPTH)...please help..?

hi,
i have just finished re-wiring my entire car (95 max), running speaker wire from the back (where i have a PPI 2 channel amp) to the rear and the front speakers. I have placed a set of 4 ohm fultrons (electrostatic tweeters) in parallel with the bose components up front, and the rear bose in series with that, for a total of approximately 1.8 ohm load per channel into the PPI. After crossing over the signal at 150 Hz, the ppi pushes this setup BEUATIFULLY. However, here is the problem.....the signal i pulled off the Stock Bose (or, Clarion, actually) head unit with a line level-rca converter is PURE GARBAGE! The only reason I know the setup i have is good is that i bypassed the headunit, and ran my Laptop straight in to the PPI, which sounded AWESOME. Now, I would like to know what converter I could buy that would give me a good clean signal from the stock headunit. I have seen one at http://www.linkmeup.com/pd4.html that looks fine (well, the specs look fine) but the price of $150 seems WAY too much. What other converter would do the trick? Also, i have a Clarion Equalizer I have installed that I would like to control the speakers and the subwoofer, however, it wouldn't even accept the signal from the cheap converter, or the laptop as a valid signal....and i know it works because i hooked it up through a signal loop from my stereo in the house and it worked fine. Would these expensive adapters have the correct signal for it?

thanks for giving this long message some thought...

b
Old 11-14-2001, 04:15 PM

Re: Bose question (in DEPTH)...please help..?

Originally posted by Autofanatic
hi,
i have just finished re-wiring my entire car (95 max), running speaker wire from the back (where i have a PPI 2 channel amp) to the rear and the front speakers. I have placed a set of 4 ohm fultrons (electrostatic tweeters) in parallel with the bose components up front, and the rear bose in series with that, for a total of approximately 1.8 ohm load per channel into the PPI. After crossing over the signal at 150 Hz, the ppi pushes this setup BEUATIFULLY. However, here is the problem.....the signal i pulled off the Stock Bose (or, Clarion, actually) head unit with a line level-rca converter is PURE GARBAGE! The only reason I know the setup i have is good is that i bypassed the headunit, and ran my Laptop straight in to the PPI, which sounded AWESOME. Now, I would like to know what converter I could buy that would give me a good clean signal from the stock headunit. I have seen one at http://www.linkmeup.com/pd4.html that looks fine (well, the specs look fine) but the price of $150 seems WAY too much. What other converter would do the trick? Also, i have a Clarion Equalizer I have installed that I would like to control the speakers and the subwoofer, however, it wouldn't even accept the signal from the cheap converter, or the laptop as a valid signal....and i know it works because i hooked it up through a signal loop from my stereo in the house and it worked fine. Would these expensive adapters have the correct signal for it?

b
if u have high-level speaker input in the amp or in the eq...try using that...eliminate the convertor alltogether...
Old 11-18-2001, 08:08 PM

Re: Re: Bose question (in DEPTH)...please help..?

Originally posted by Yellowbrother

if u have high-level speaker input in the amp or in the eq...try using that...eliminate the convertor alltogether...
no, i don't have high level inputs.....but that wouldn't work anyhow for the dirty signal is coming from the output from the bose amps....
Old 11-18-2001, 08:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Bose question (in DEPTH)...please help..?

no, i don't have high level inputs.....but that wouldn't work anyhow for the dirty signal is coming from the output from the bose amps....
i didnt have any prob with my signals....or maybe it's just my ears...
Old 11-18-2001, 11:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bose question (in DEPTH)...please help..?

Originally posted by Yellowbrother

i didnt have any prob with my signals....or maybe it's just my ears...
did you use the level inputs for just a sub, or did you use it to run your interior speakers as well?
Old 11-19-2001, 03:28 AM

Re: Bose question (in DEPTH)...please help..?

hi,

b

Check out sounddomain.com. They have a product there made by Peripheral (spelling?). It's an OEM interface made for the Bose stereo. I don't know if they offer them for your generation Max or not. For my '01 they are $50 each and you need one for both front and back channels. Haven't tried it yet myself, but this is what I'll probably do in the near future.

Tony
Old 11-19-2001, 01:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You know what I noticed about the PD-4 from www.linkmeup.com?? It's the only Bose interface that'll take the RCA output (pre-out or line out) from your new headunit and feed it to the rest of your Bose system (bose amp then speakers). All the other bose adapters I've seen take the speaker output of the new headunit and feed it to your bose amp/speakers. So, the PD-4 will be cleaner with less distortion since there's only one stage of amplification.

DW
Old 11-19-2001, 01:39 PM

Re: Re: Bose question (in DEPTH)...please help..?

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes

Check out sounddomain.com. They have a product there made by Peripheral (spelling?). It's an OEM interface made for the Bose stereo. I don't know if they offer them for your generation Max or not. For my '01 they are $50 each and you need one for both front and back channels. Haven't tried it yet myself, but this is what I'll probably do in the near future.

Tony
yeah, i just ordered one of these, should be here next week, i'll let you know how it sounds.... I would like to get the PD-4 that dwapenyi was talking about, but it would cost $150 + $X for the wire harness, and, for that price, i might as well buy a used Eclipse or something...
Old 11-19-2001, 04:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Bose question (in DEPTH)...please help..?

yeah, i just ordered one of these, should be here next week, i'll let you know how it sounds.... I would like to get the PD-4 that dwapenyi was talking about, but it would cost $150 + $X for the wire harness, and, for that price, i might as well buy a used Eclipse or something...
Thanks, I would really like to know how it works out for you.

Tony
Old 11-30-2001, 09:51 PM
ABS

New Device

I also found this device called the LOCB. Does anyone have any experience with it? I called the company and it seems to do everything we need . . . convert stock Boxe head unit output to a regular live level signal . . . Check it out: http://www.soundgate.com/adj-loc.html