Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Issues with Non-Bose Sound System (6th Gen)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 05:22 AM

Issues with Non-Bose Sound System (6th Gen)

I have an 04 Max with the Non-Bose system. After doing alot of reading and getting confused time after time I think the majority of owners on here really dislike their stock and Bose premium systems and suggest aftermarket... I do want to say I appreciate that all of you guys have that ability and know-how to teach us "audiologically challenged" how to properly establish a good system according to your preferences into your vehicle. I have no knowledge of anything at all that goes on with audio in my car let alone other things such as the engine. I am trying to and want to learn but need someone to take it tremendously slow that I may understand.

Here is my situation: I have the non-Bose system and last winter the CD Player simply stopped ejecting CD's. It plays CD's well until I hit a bump then it will stop and take about 20 or so seconds to revive itself. I was on a search at the stealership to get this replaced but it came with a 270.00 price tag and 4-day vacation for Xima. I wanted to switch to the Bose system because my friend hooked me up and I received all 4 door speakers and the 2 Bose trunk speakers for free after I told him two of my speakers were busted.. he just didnt know that I had non-Bose so he just sent whatever he had.. With that being said... the Bose speakers he gave me are only 2 years from an 06. I dont really want to go and buy speakers for an aftermarket system because I dont mind the Bose system especially since I have the speakers for the Bose system... my cuz has an 07 with Bose and I really like the sound of it. I'm not a huge audiophile but it suits my needs...

My question is, though, besides those 6 speakers and the 6-disc Bose headunit (which I can get for 40.00 from my friend :-D) what else would I need to do to my Max to get that system working??? Also, would I need to replace the tweeters from non-Bose system with Bose tweeters? Any help is much appreciated.. I'm just tryin to get my stuff working again and those 2 busted speakers out of there... Many of you will simply say do aftermarket, but I dont want that.. so anyone who has the skill or know-how and who actually likes the Bose system that can give me some advice or direction I would be grateful!!
Old 12-19-2008, 07:01 AM
Suspension Yoda

Your concerns are well thought out. I can understand your preference for Bose, however going from non-Bose to Bose is simply not feasible. The main issue lies in your wire harness. Non-Bose cars are wired with a completely different harness than Bose vehicles. Your car simply does not have the proper wiring necessary for it to be plug and play.

You would need the Bose amp, which is located under your rear deck. Even if you went to mount that in, there are no wires running to it from your HU, and there are no wires running from it out to your speakers. And adding those wires in for usage of Bose, well the benefit does not justify the means.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

With that being said, I am one of 'those people', and I can confidently say that your efforts (and funds) will be much more efficiently spent towards aftermarket equipment.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:20 AM

^ what he said. i have an 06 without the bose option as well. the wiring layout for each option is completely different. you can technically make it work, but it will be pretty laborious sourcing and installing everything else to make it plug and play. with the time and money spent doing that, i would suggest going aftermarket instead.