Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

No power to radio or center console clock

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No power to radio or center console clock

I hit a pretty bad pot hole the other day and now my headunit and center console clock do not work. I checked all the fuses and found nothing blown. I also checked the fuse on the radio and nothing was wrong there. I have a pioneer avic n2 head unit. Does anyone have any advice on what to check next or have had this problem themselves.

Thanks
Update:
I finally solved the problem. I initially checked all the fuses once and did not see any blown fuses. I checked both fuse banks (in the engine bay and under dashboard). On Monday it snowed and I tried adjusting my mirrors after cleaning ice off of them. I noticed I could not control the power mirrors. So today I as determined to check the fuses one more time especially the one for the power mirror. This time around I used a flashlight to shine on each fuse as I took them out. Low and behold the power mirror fuse was blown. It was tough to see that it was blown because the dark spot covered where the metal had separated. Once I replaced the fuse I gained power back to the clock, radio, and the power mirrors. Patients can be a b*tch but it sure pays off. I was dreading taking my car to a dealer for an electrical issue.

Last edited by ironmax; 01-21-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Suspension Yoda

You checked all the fuses? Including the ones under the hood?

Once you're sure they're all good, get out a multimeter and get behind the radio to start checking wires. I've never heard of a pothole blowing a fuse. A pothole pulling/disconnecting a wire, possible if things are not secured down.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:05 PM

I will double check the fuses and all wires behind the dash.
Originally Posted by djfrestyl
You checked all the fuses? Including the ones under the hood?

Once you're sure they're all good, get out a multimeter and get behind the radio to start checking wires. I've never heard of a pothole blowing a fuse. A pothole pulling/disconnecting a wire, possible if things are not secured down.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:12 PM
tastey wheat

if there is a bare wire behind the unit and you hit a pot hole pretty hard it could definately bump the wire enough to touch some metal somewhere. Def check behind the radio, but since your clock stopped as well Im betting its a fuse. +1 to checking fuses under the hood.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:01 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!update problem solved !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Suspension Yoda

......What was the issue?
Old 01-21-2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
......What was the issue?

I initially checked all the fuses once and did not see any blown fuses. I checked both fuse banks (in the engine bay and under dashboard). On Monday it snowed and I tried adjusting my mirrors after cleaning ice off of them. I noticed I could not control the power mirrors. So today I as determined to check the fuses one more time especially the one for the power mirror. This time around I used a flashlight to shine on each fuse as I took them out. Low and behold the power mirror fuse was blown. It was tough to see that it was blown because the dark spot covered where the metal had separated. Once I replaced the fuse I gained power back to the clock, radio, and the power mirrors. Patients can be a b*tch but it sure pays off. I was dreading taking my car to a dealer for an electrical issue.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Suspension Yoda

Nice job - a multimeter on each fuse would have told you for sure which was blown.