Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Parametric eq settings

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 02:40 PM

Parametric eq settings

i no longer have a stereo system with simple treble and bass adjustments--now i have one with a crazy eq and i cant get it set to sound right--i listen strictly to rock--there are 4 different graphs on the eq (representing 4 frequency ranges) which can all be adjusted in various ways (slope, freq., volume)--does anyone else have a complicated eq setting recommendation for me i'll try anything at this point (after spending as much $$ as i did)--yes i know it depends on the speakers, amp, listener, ect.. i'm really venting b/c i just want my stereo to sound right but any ideas would be appreciated

thanks
Old 11-15-2001, 07:41 PM

which one is it or list all that it has and i'll tell ya where to start
Old 11-15-2001, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by max'n out
which one is it or list all that it has and i'll tell ya where to start
Kenwood 910DVD player with Kenwood DD/DTS Processor
these freq. are off the top of my head but this is basically what it looks like
1st band:60/80/100/120/140
2nd band:240/320/500/650
3rd band:1.2k/2k/3k/4k
4th band:6k/10k/12.5k/15k
Sub +/- :strictly for adjusting the sub amps volume

each band (once a freq. is chosen) can be turned up or down
and the range (slope) of freq. whose volume you adjust can be widened or narrowed

then there is this thing that lets you position the sound to a particular seat--i'm just leaving that set to 'ALL'

there are tons of other factors but these are the first things one would want to adjust when using this HU

thanks
Old 11-15-2001, 08:16 PM

I think I know the one your talking about is it the KGC-6042A. If thats it I can tell you how to do it. If thats not it tell me. Once I know I'm thinking of the same one I'll get ya going.
Old 11-16-2001, 03:25 AM

no, it's the Kenwood 910 (DVD player with widescreen LCD)
and (901)Dolby Digital/DTS Processor

<---------check homepage for pic
Old 11-16-2001, 06:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by max'n out
I think I know the one your talking about is it the KGC-6042A. If thats it I can tell you how to do it. If thats not it tell me. Once I know I'm thinking of the same one I'll get ya going.

The KGC-6042A is a 1/2-DIN, 11-band graphic EQ, not a 4-band parametric EQ.
Old 11-16-2001, 08:31 PM

Sorry it took me awhile to respond. It's tuff to adjust a parametric eq. But here is what you may want to try. ON the 1st band try selecting 120 at a 12db slope This is the lower end of the midbass...as for boost and cut it's hard to say thats up to you. This is gonna be things like kettle drums (deep powerfull things). Band 2 I say try 320 that would be just after the upper end of the midbass and beginging of the midrange alot of stuff in that area. Again at a 12db slope. ON the 3rd try 2k this is gonna be the uper end of the midrange beginging of the high end. at 12db slope. aND ON the forth either 6 or 10k your really gonna have to play with that again at 12 db slope.

Heres'why I say these things. I like the 12db slope cuz it tends to blend the speakers better when they are not real close together and since I saw no kicks I assume there not. The sub volume I assume is taking care of everything below 100hz. So you have that taken care of. Then by using the bands I said you can cover some areas where you can get alot of good effects. I'm not a big fan of parametric eq's and im not real familer with this one so I hope this helps get you going. If theres more I can explain let me know.
Old 11-18-2001, 04:44 PM

Thanks

max'n out--
thanks, i tried what you said and noticed a huge improvement--it's well on its way to sounding perfect, i guess i just have to keep listening and adjusting until i get it just right
one thing i have notice in having a system like this is that you begin to notice all the imperfections in the recording process (missed notes ect...), which i kind of like b/c it makes the music more realistic (less like it was made by some machine and more like it was made by a set of imperfect humans)
Old 11-18-2001, 05:13 PM

I'm glad I could get ya going in the right direction. The real problem is once you get into it you want more and more and more. So next your gonna want a 30 band eq with phasing and a crossover, da conveter and so forth...ah it never ends
Old 11-22-2001, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by mattattax

then there is this thing that lets you position the sound to a particular seat--i'm just leaving that set to 'ALL'
you should set the seat selector to the one that you use the most. For me when I drive I Drive mostly alone so I have it for the Front Left seat. If you drive around with another person put it on the Front section. It might sound a little bit wierd at first, but it really makes the whole sound experience that much better. The selection All is basically like having it off, which is just a waste of the feature, and you did pay all of that money so why not put it to good use.
Old 11-22-2001, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by THAWABUTT

you should set the seat selector to the one that you use the most. For me when I drive I Drive mostly alone so I have it for the Front Left seat. If you drive around with another person put it on the Front section. It might sound a little bit wierd at first, but it really makes the whole sound experience that much better. The selection All is basically like having it off, which is just a waste of the feature, and you did pay all of that money so why not put it to good use.
it just sounds really wierd in any other position, kind of like i'm in a tunnel--right now i'm working on blending the tweeters with the mids, they sound like they're a mile away from each other and kind of making me wish i just got coaxials
Old 11-22-2001, 11:45 AM

Both front seats should be able to image good. However with speakers in the factory locations it's gonnna be extreamly difficult.

As far as blending the mid and tweet try taking the tweet to a six db roll off.

Also what are the choices for seat selecter...maybe somthing can be dun there.
Old 11-22-2001, 01:38 PM

how do you think this would sound?

-leave the mb quart tweeters in their position (where the stock ones were)
-get rid of the mids, buy some Premium series mb quart coaxials for the doors
-set the crossover to where the high frequencies are split between the 2 tweeters (the one from the components and the one from the new coaxials)

if anyone thinks this is a good idea, which high freq. should the tweeters from the components get? the higher freq.?
and which high freq. should the tweeters on the coaxials get? the lower high freq.?

What do ya think?
thanks
Old 11-22-2001, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by mattattax
how do you think this would sound?

-leave the mb quart tweeters in their position (where the stock ones were)
-get rid of the mids, buy some Premium series mb quart coaxials for the doors
-set the crossover to where the high frequencies are split between the 2 tweeters (the one from the components and the one from the new coaxials)

if anyone thinks this is a good idea, which high freq. should the tweeters from the components get? the higher freq.?
and which high freq. should the tweeters on the coaxials get? the lower high freq.?

What do ya think?
thanks
If you'd like to do that..it can be dun but prob better to do seperates down low and another set of tweets up in the pillers...this is dun quite often in competions...of course most have kicks not with speakers in the door. But it could work of the same princleple.

But with that kind of set up I'd run the lower tweet from 3k up and the a piller tweet at 10k up.