Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Aftermarket Deck With Bose Spkrs

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 01:22 PM

Aftermarket Deck With Bose Spkrs

ok can this be done? originally i thought you can install an aftermarket stereo deck and it would be compatible with the bose speakers. Circuit City tells me that i cant - that i have to replace the speakers as well because (according to the sales rep) the aftermarket decks have their own amp and since the bose has amps in each spkr it will overpower the speakers. but then i go down to this aftermarket stereo shop and they tell me yes it can be done (mixing deck with bose)......so who's right here?

im thinking brandwise of Pioneers and Kenwoods for the deck

but if i do get the pioneer or kenwood deck AND 4 new pioneer or kenwood speakers, how much better will a separate amp make the sound or will it be good enough without it?
Old 11-15-2001, 01:27 PM

u can do it with the bose speakers, but you have to buy an adaptor, just do a search on nissan bose adapter and you will find it for around $50
Old 11-15-2001, 06:31 PM

Re: Aftermarket Deck With Bose Spkrs

bull****, ive done it, just make sure you block out the lows if not youll blow the speakers. buy bass blockers. also i wouldnt recomend playin it too loud
Old 11-15-2001, 11:01 PM

Re: Re: Aftermarket Deck With Bose Spkrs

Originally posted by cornaisp
bull****, ive done it, just make sure you block out the lows if not youll blow the speakers. buy bass blockers. also i wouldnt recomend playin it too loud

because you did it doesnt mean its right.... the bose speakers operate at a VERY low impendance like .5 - 1 ohm.. so go ahead and run your head to them and watch it smoke under the low load...

Adam
Old 11-16-2001, 06:44 AM

so, both of you guys are saying that the bose adapter is a piece of .....?
Old 11-16-2001, 07:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I did the search on google and found this;

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/PERNISAH4

$54. I wonder how it is quality wise. All along I've been contemplating replacing the head unit of my Bose as well. I was thinking of using the PD4 from www.linkmeup.com, but that sucker costs $150. I am a bit of an audiophile, so wizz bang features is not as important to me as SQ, so features like 24 bit burr brown DACs work for me. . oooohhh baby! And I'd be happy to live without a remote. I just need MP3/CD with a changer or multi CD in dash receiver, like the new Bose in the 02 Maximas.

I've been thinking of replacing my headunit with the Clarion Pro Audio DXZ815MP plus a Bose adapter. I also like the JVC ...SH99 but it comes in only silver, and I want it to blend in (black and wood) with my interior. The clarion has an optional black faceplate and green leds, a perfect match for my car.

What do you guys think of the Clarion and either of the Bose adapters?? I've alreayd heard rave reviews for the JVC . .wish it came in black.

DW
Originally posted by lamboz1
u can do it with the bose speakers, but you have to buy an adaptor, just do a search on nissan bose adapter and you will find it for around $50
Old 11-16-2001, 07:57 AM

Definately doable

This is definately possible. I have Pioneer Deh-P730 with my factory bose in my 95 max. The guy who installed it didnt even use an adapter. He just spliced the wires!!!! And i have been running this setup for more than 6 mo. Nothing wrong with my speakers yet and they sound very clear and loud compared to my old POS bose deck which skipped every 10 sec. I would say you go ahead and do this and you shouldnt have any problems.
Old 11-17-2001, 08:03 AM

which shop?

i am not very good at car stereos, so i have to take it to a shop...i am just wondering which shop does this custom installation from bose to something else? because i been trying to find one that will do it, but all of them were saying that..it's not doable..i got to swap out everything... .grrr... i live in dallas, TX any suggestions?
Old 11-18-2001, 03:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Aftermarket Deck With Bose Spkrs

Originally posted by 2000MaximaSE

because you did it doesnt mean its right.... the bose speakers operate at a VERY low impendance like .5 - 1 ohm.. so go ahead and run your head to them and watch it smoke under the low load...

Adam
I agree with this guy. If the speakers run at 1 ohm you will definitly run into some problems with your deck, since you deck will most likely only be stable down to 4 ohms. It might even overheat and then you wasted your money. So I would either figure out some way to run the speakers in paralel or serial or buy the adaptor.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:14 AM
xarfox

Re: Re: Aftermarket Deck With Bose Spkrs

Originally posted by cornaisp

Bass blockers are for little speakers and the like

bose in max is all 6" does not require bass blockers
all you have to do is set the crossovers in the headunit to not pound the speakers with lower than 40-50 hertz

Old 11-21-2001, 08:31 PM

....ya know what maybe i should just go with all new speakers instead of running an aftermarket deck to bose spkrs; doing it the other way seems to be too much of a conflict
Old 11-22-2001, 12:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Either way you go is complicated.

A) replace the whole systems, headunit, amp, 4 speakers, or
B) Replace the Bose headunit with an afetrmarket unit and a bose adaptor.

Part B is easier, though. The weakness to the bose system is that the 6.5" speakers just can't handle the amount of bass the system produces at high volumes. They produce plenty of bass, but hi volumes over-exert the speakers. It is mostly apparent in bass haevy music like R&B, rap, hip-hop etc. If that's not a problem with you then I would go with part B.

DW

Originally posted by Maximan190
....ya know what maybe i should just go with all new speakers instead of running an aftermarket deck to bose spkrs; doing it the other way seems to be too much of a conflict
Old 11-22-2001, 03:37 PM
xarfox

do the whole thing

i would save up the moeny and redo the whole system

factory speakers have a normal life of about 5 years , if your keeping your max for awhile you'll notice they just aren't that great

or just through a sub on it and make the speakers play all highs so they dont get worn out

you do that by turing bass down and rear fade up