Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Question on swapping interiors in 6th gen without Bose

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 06:19 PM

Question on swapping interiors in 6th gen without Bose

I have a 6th gen with the cheapo factory radio, and decided I want to throw a new stereo into it. I already decided on the Pioneer AVIC-F700BT headunit, mainly because I'm not worried about DVD since I have my Ipod Touch as a video source, and am much more interested in the Navigation then DVD anyway. But I have been looking into doing the interior speakers, and since I've never had a car with an 8-speaker system, I'm not exactly sure how it sounds the best when going aftermarket. I was looking into an MB Quart component system for up front, and coaxials in the rear. But I'm not sure wether I should pick up 2 sets of coaxials for the rear (pair in the doors, pair in the rear deck), or just put one set and if so, which location would give a better sound. I'm going to be running them off of a Rockford Power Series T4004 I have. I'm in the starting steps of putting this together, going to be doing it over the next few weeks, just thought I would see if I could get some input from people who know more about the stuff then me, and that have done it in their 6th gens. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:27 PM

honestly dude go into a sound shop....i dont listen to music in the max cuz the exhaust sounds better...but when i did have a system in my prior car, i just when to a custom shop (not like best buy) and talked to them for a couple hours on what i wanted
Old 01-26-2009, 12:49 AM

better if he talked to us here. many audio shops will f*ck you over if they know you're a rookie in the audio world. they're main thing is to sell, not necessarily help the customers...

anyhow, i would just put the speakers in the rear doors. you won't be able to hear them from the front seat anyhow...it's mainly for rear fill/pleasing the passengers. i would just take out the rear deck speakers completely in case you're going to add a subwoofer later down the road. it'll help vent the bass into the cabin. plus, i don't know about you, but if i'm a rear passenger, i would hate to have the music blasting near ear level from the sound waves reflecting off the back window.

you're on the right track though. get components up front and simple coaxials in the rear. in my 6th gen, i have my front speakers amped, and the rear speakers powered off my radio.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:02 AM
Suspension Yoda

To the OP, you're on the right track. I agree with ^^ statements. Leave the rear deck empty.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:20 AM

thanks guys!

Im not a real rookie, I mean when I had my altima I had a pretty good setup, MB Quart Q-Series components up front, with some MB Premiums in the rear deck powered by an Ecplise 4 channel, 2 JL W3v2's powered by a JL 500.1, and an eclipse indash for a HU. It was just a way different situation because it was a much easier setup as far as knowing locations to use and what I needed to get the right sound out of the car.

I haven't quite decided what I'm going to use for speakers, but am almost positive i'm going to stick with MB Quarts, having liked the sound I had in my Altima. But am still looking into JL Audio XR's that a friend of mine has that I can pick up pretty cheap.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:18 PM

hehe not saying you're a rookie or anything...that was more of a general statement.

but yeah, if you love how the MB Quart sound, stick with them. i recommend rainbow or DLS though.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:51 PM

lol, its all good.

I've read good things about DLS, but haven't known anybody with them so I've been iffy on them. Are they really worth the cash?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:01 PM

imo yes, they are the most natural sounding speakers i've heard so far...and i've heard quite a few sets in town at various audio meets. dynaudio is another favorite on this forum, but i've yet to listen to a set of dynaudio, so i can't make any comments about them.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:07 PM

at what level do they start to become pretty good? Are the reference and performance series decent, or do you need the Ultimate or Iridium before they get really good?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:47 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by Blkmagic
at what level do they start to become pretty good? Are the reference and performance series decent, or do you need the Ultimate or Iridium before they get really good?
Reference would start to sound very good, anything above is excellent. They win a TON of awards for their products worldwide and it is well deserved.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:47 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
hehe not saying you're a rookie or anything...that was more of a general statement.

but yeah, if you love how the MB Quart sound, stick with them. i recommend rainbow or DLS though.

I concur.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:50 PM

So Pearl, I know your really knowledgable about this stuff, here's the 4 sets of components I've narrowed it down too, what do you think I should go with?

JL Audio XR650-CXi
DLS Reference R6A
Boston Acoustics SL60
RE Audio RE6.5 Comp
Old 01-29-2009, 06:20 AM
Suspension Yoda

DLS > Boston. The other two I'm not too familiar with.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:52 AM

The OP isn't far from mendon99's shop.......

SoundFX on route 2 in West Warwick.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:20 AM

yea, I'm familiar with the place, actually used to work at the Best Buy 2 minutes down the road. I might swing by there and see how much to install the Avic-F700BT.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:58 PM

The Bostons is a nice set, but very power hungry from my experiences with BA. The tweeter can be a little sharp for my liking though, but overall a nice set. I would get the DLS set from that list though. Have you looked into Rainbow?

Pearl is definately the guy to go to!
Old 01-29-2009, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
The Bostons is a nice set, but very power hungry from my experiences with BA. The tweeter can be a little sharp for my liking though, but overall a nice set. I would get the DLS set from that list though. Have you looked into Rainbow?

Pearl is definately the guy to go to!

I haven't looked into rainbow....any retailers you know of that I can check out online? and I would let Pearl do the install, but he's WAY too far away lol.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:53 PM

the only retailer i trust dealing with rainbow is Pearl. i ran two different rainbow setups in the past, the soundlines and then the germaniums, before i got my iridiums. the germaniums are a very nice set if you don't want to spend too much.

http://www.rainbow-audio.de/