Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Independent Fogs

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 11:40 PM
CJS4 2001

Independent Fogs

The first mod my firend wants to do to his car is independent control for front fogs...I know on some cars, it is possible to rewire the fog relay to trick it into thinking the headlights are on when they really aren't. haven't played with a maxima yet and I don't want to without consulting with someone who has. If not, is it possible to have them come on with just parking lights?...if somebody has performed this mod, I would appriciate any feedback..TIA

Old 11-21-2001, 10:08 PM
mb1

search
Old 11-22-2001, 06:28 PM

Look below the fog light relay(passenger side fender under the relay box) Look for the fog light relay. You will have to take apart the relay box(x2 10mm bolts) to get acces to the bottom of the relay. once you get to the wires coming off the fog light relay look for a green/yellow wire that should have double silver dots on it.

Follow this wire down into the harness below the overflo tank(has to be removed, x2 10mm bolts). Cut back the electrical tape and find that wire(twords the bottom of that harness). There will be about three other green/yellow wires. Makes sure you find the one with the double silver dots on it or the one that matched the green/yellow off your fog light relay.

Cut that wire(green/yellow) in half, and with a scrap piece of wire attach one end to the green/yellow(off the relay box) and the other to the (+) of the battery. Now flip on your fog light switch. They should come on, high beams and all!!

Now back to the main harness you cut open. Look for a thick dark blue wire leading into the realy box(make sure to test this wire for constant power(power should be there with the car completly off)

Now tap the green/yellow wire into that blue wire(strip back the sheething on the blue wire and wrap the new wire in/around it and tape off very well).

**The blue wire is a constant power lead. That means that the fogs WILL NOT turn off with the ignition.

Last make sure you cap off the other end of the green/yellow wire and tape up you connection very well.

Now you have stock fogs with stock switch totally independant from eveything else. or you can find another one of the ticker wires that only works with the igntion turned on(that will make the fogs shut off when you power down the car) its up to you.

hope this helps, e-mail me with any more questions.

Anthony