Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Anyone else upgrade their stereo system some how? Where did you start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 10:29 AM

Anyone else upgrade their stereo system some how? Where did you start?

I have a 2007 SE and the sound system is definitely not bad, but I HATE how it turns it down when its loud. I know its so your speakers don't blow but I would rather have more powerful speakers that I don't have to worry about the system turning them down at louds parts of the song. Being a musician I hate having to say that my stereo is the reason the song isn't sounding right when I'm showing people my stuff. I think i'd also be interested in a sub or 2 in the trunk.

I'm mainly looking to see how you guys with the same setup have dealt with your systems, or how you upgraded them.

Also, I'm pretty sure I don't have the bose system that could have come equipt.

thanks!
Old 06-13-2009, 11:27 AM

not sure what all you'd have to do. might be some wiring harnesses you'd have to get to bypass amps and all that.

id check out crutchfield.com they have a bunch of information on what it takes to redo factory systems.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:45 AM

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2009, 02:49 PM

I had a lot of kick *** systems and my advise to u is to look around on craigslist, you can get great deals on barely used stuff. Buy a headunit, amp, and subs. Research them all - make sure u find the right products for what u want. Then go to a good shop and purchase inside speakers and have everything installed!
Old 06-13-2009, 02:52 PM

I have an 07 with the Bose system and its pretty amazing how much it really sucks.Heres what you'll need:

Wiring harness
ant. adaptor
And of course your new equipment

If you using another double din you dont need a dash kit.Do not buy one if its a double din!!

Go here for part numbers.You can get all you need from Best Buy.
http://www.metraonline.com/
Old 06-13-2009, 03:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It turns down by itself? First think I did was add a sub box to the Bose system. I felt it lacked some bottom end.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:38 PM

if you have bose like I did then you have to change all the speakers if you replace the head unit. speakers are rated at 1/2 ohm each, whereas most head units are 4ohm out. then wires and amps and subs. I have about 3k invested in my setup. go to a car audio installation shop and see what your options are. also research here www.crutchfield.com
Old 06-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Im nt an expert in this but ill tell u one thing for sure. if u gt new equipment dnt try to save money and gt it installed frm som cheapo .. make sureu go to som1 good cuz i gt my system installed by this guy who was the cheapest i cud find and i ended up having to pay over 4k to get my car fixd. the guy ran the wiring thru the rong area in the engine and the car ended up gettin on fire and left me maxima-less for som time until it gt it fixd.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by wnaseem
Im nt an expert in this but ill tell u one thing for sure. if u gt new equipment dnt try to save money and gt it installed frm som cheapo .. make sureu go to som1 good cuz i gt my system installed by this guy who was the cheapest i cud find and i ended up having to pay over 4k to get my car fixd. the guy ran the wiring thru the rong area in the engine and the car ended up gettin on fire and left me maxima-less for som time until it gt it fixd.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
if you have bose like I did then you have to change all the speakers if you replace the head unit. speakers are rated at 1/2 ohm each, whereas most head units are 4ohm out. then wires and amps and subs. I have about 3k invested in my setup. go to a car audio installation shop and see what your options are. also research here www.crutchfield.com

You sure about that? I think a few guys on here have added a new HU to their bose system and things worked out just fine. I'm thinking of adding a sub/amp to my bose. Mids and Highs sound just fine to me.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:41 PM

check out the audio forum we have here.

first thing i did to mine was change out the head unit to an aftermarket one.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax

Thanks! You got any picks up your head unit? Does the head unit really effect that much? Did it get rid of the volume safety vontrol?
Old 06-14-2009, 10:29 AM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

IBTM!!!!
Old 06-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

get two 12" sony xplodes, already in the enclosure
and a 750 watt amp
cheapest setup to fix that problem :]
Old 06-14-2009, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by rock_drummer
Thanks! You got any picks up your head unit? Does the head unit really effect that much? Did it get rid of the volume safety vontrol?
yeah, the source is very important. if you run crap through expensive wiring, amps, and speakers...you'll just have very loud crap. i highly recommend eclipse units.

what do you mean by "pick up?"
Old 06-14-2009, 07:27 PM

yeah, the source is very important. if you run crap through expensive wiring, amps, and speakers...you'll just have very loud crap. i highly recommend eclipse units.

what do you mean by "pick up?"

Haha my bad I meant "you have any pics of your head unit?"
Old 06-14-2009, 09:46 PM

oh, it's an Eclipse CD5100.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:14 PM

i have a 12inch alpine r12 in the back with a hifonics titan hooked onto it. The box itself has obviously holds the sub but i bolted the amp onto the back because the seats were not wide enough to screw the amp onto the back of. As for the wiring i had my friend do it all. He took out eh flooring and ran all the wires under the carpeting so its hidden and then it pops out in the trunk to connect the amp to.

You can go to best buy and pick up an 8 gauge wire set for about 75 bucks and an a 17ft rca cable for around 17 bucks and also a something converter. I cant quite remember what its called but there is a converter you will need if you still have the stock head unit in the car still

hope this helps
Old 06-14-2009, 11:53 PM

just stick a subwoofer in the the trunk hahah
Old 06-15-2009, 12:21 PM

A subwoofer wouldnt change the fact that it automatically turns the volume down at the loudest parts of a song though, right? Thats really my main problem. I'm down to get some subs but it would be awesome if I could keep the stock HU-unless the stock one really decreases quality.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:55 PM

oh, it's an Eclipse CD5100.

Nice, do you have pics of what it looked like before? Did you have to cut that hole out?
Old 06-15-2009, 01:57 PM

Yeah i saw the audio forum but I'm really only interested in seeing what people with the 6th gen (preferably the 2007 in particular) because Im curious to see what people did with the setup that I have-since the head units all have different sizes, ect.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:37 PM

how much would it cost to install one of those screens that slides of of the dash?
Old 06-15-2009, 06:35 PM

I added a small 200 watt Rockford amp and a 10" sub in the back. I just used to sub output from the bose and ran it into the high powered input on the amp. It won't blow the windows out but the extra sub takes care of all the bass so that you can turn the bass down on all the other speakers which lets you play them louder. Sounds much better and isn't too expensive if you install it yourself like I did.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:16 PM

Here's my 07 SE w/Bose system install.

http://forums.maxima.org/audio-elect...m-install.html
Old 06-15-2009, 09:42 PM

nope, no need to cut out anything. that's an aftermarket dash kit by Metra. you take out the stocker and replace it with the Metra unit.

the cubby hole and AC controls will need to be swapped over to the Metra kit.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tyutyunnik
I added a small 200 watt Rockford amp and a 10" sub in the back. I just used to sub output from the bose and ran it into the high powered input on the amp. It won't blow the windows out but the extra sub takes care of all the bass so that you can turn the bass down on all the other speakers which lets you play them louder. Sounds much better and isn't too expensive if you install it yourself like I did.
Nice, thanks man that made a lot of sense. So where do I wire the amp to if I'm keeping everything else stock?
Old 06-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have an Eclipse too, its a great unit but I went with a kit that put the stereo a little high. The kit doesn't leave you much pocket but I don't use it anyway. Another thing the color is a little off, but I just wanted the stereo higher in the dash. I'll a CF cover or something for it later.

Last edited by Apollos2; 06-16-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:52 AM

nope, no need to cut out anything. that's an aftermarket dash kit by Metra. you take out the stocker and replace it with the Metra unit.

the cubby hole and AC controls will need to be swapped over to the Metra kit.
Nice, thanks! I see it doesnt fit a 2007. I found this but it looks like a completely different situation.. http://cgi.ebay.com/NISSAN-MAXIMA-20...3%3A1|294%3A50
Old 06-16-2009, 12:02 PM

I upgraded all my factory speakers first. Then headunit
Old 06-16-2009, 01:18 PM

Changed Audio System

I changed out my deck in my 04 Maxima, when i was doing the stereo what i found was that the speakers are wired to the bose amp and i wanted the deck to supply the power to the speakers. u will need to split the wires from the amp and wired them directly to the radio. you can find them right behind the radio and don't have to replace all the speakers, you need a voltage tester to find which speaker is which.

The stock Bose speakers are pretty good. Only the mids dont put out that much.

I wish i had some pictures to show you. Its not that complicated. or maybe for me because my friend does custom installs and really took the time to check out all the wiring. PER SAY A PERFECTIONIST.

Pioneer DEH-980BT
Image Dynamics 12 D2 V3
Kicker ZX1000.1
Cascade Trunk, Door Panels, & Head Liner.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:24 PM

I personally would only use brands such as Alpine, JL Audio, JBL, rockford fosgate, ect. That's speaking from A LOT of personal experience.

Stay away from Sony Xplode, or anything that retails realy cheap and claims high watts.

You need to do more research on your own to find out what u want. Go listen to systems in ppls cars. Your not gonna be happy if you buy a system bc some ppl on a thread told you what to do.

Personally, one 10 inch sub is a waste of money in my opinion.

My last setup was an alpine headunit (wouldn't use anything else) JBL components, Alpine 6.5's, a 12 farad battery cap, 2 12" Alpine type R's and a 1500.1 Power series Rockford Fosgate amp. When the guy at tweeter installed it he said it was the best sounding, loudest system he did in over a year. I also saved a **** load of money by getting the amp and subs for 480 dollars, when the amp alone retails 799. I bought everything else brand new however. know where to cut corners and where not to.....
Old 06-16-2009, 02:27 PM

So if I start by getting an amp and subs.. How much would I expect to pay to have it installed? Or could a regular person do it theirself?
Old 06-16-2009, 03:01 PM

caps are totally useless. they're more of a drain on your electrical system than anything.

a "regular" person can install them just fine. feel free to post up any questions regarding audio installation and we'll try to help as much as we can. but do post in the audio room more.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:45 PM

caps are totally useless. they're more of a drain on your electrical system than anything.

a "regular" person can install them just fine. feel free to post up any questions regarding audio installation and we'll try to help as much as we can. but do post in the audio room more.

Caps are useless?? LOL. Im guessing you never owned a system with any amount of power....
Caps are A MUST with any decent system - unless you like to replace batteries all the time.. NOT having a cap is what puts a strain on your electrical...

Last edited by 04CleanMaxx; 06-16-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:42 PM

infinity kappa's are some of the best speakers on the market. so if you can get those get those because they are just all around great speakers. with a new head unit i was looking at getting a kenwood KVT-512 with built in nav. That can run around 350 refurbished. And then dash kit and then install so your going to be looking around 500-600 all said and done. Best buy will wire and install everything for around 70 bucks

i know i cant advertise on here but if anyone is looking for a subwoofer, amp, wires, and custom box, i know it will fit in the maxima just PM me

Last edited by lighty0770; 06-16-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:02 PM

^^^ infinity speakers are very good!
Old 06-16-2009, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by 04CleanMaxx
^^^ infinity speakers are very good!
well of course i mean they do have the word infinite basically in their brand name and their greatness obviously is infinite
Old 06-16-2009, 06:59 PM

I decided to change the entire system after I got sick of the infamous driver side speaker malfunction (cutting out randomly) and the lack of clarity. I only kept the tweeters in the A-pillars and I added a single 12" sub. It sounds kick **** now!
Old 06-16-2009, 07:28 PM

you could replace everything. i got a headunit first then i bought subs. i have 3 10" subs and a kenwood amp. loud *** bass. you will need new door speakers and rear speakers too because your bass will over power those foor. i got new clarions with an amp just for those four. sounds extremely amazing. even with the bass vibrating the crap out of the car i get the crisp clean sound of the other four speakers including the tweeter. it all cost me like 1500 but it's worth it. you sure as hell dont have to have it that loud but no matter at what level you have it will sound nice. also im getting an equilizer. my cousin had one and it tweeked everything real nice

Quick Reply: Anyone else upgrade their stereo system some how? Where did you start?