Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Upgrading from Alpine Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:04 AM

Upgrading from Alpine Type-R

I'm currently running a single Alpine 12" Type-R powered by an Alpine MRP-M650, all running at 600watts at 2-ohms in a 1.75^2ft ported box tuned to 35hz. Don't get me wrong, this setup is great, but I'm looking for something more, basically the next step up in terms of sq AND spl, while sticking to a single sub setup.

I'm definitely going to upgrade the box to something larger and tuned lower, but as for the sub, any suggestions? Nothing too crazy, but maybe something along the lines of a Diamond Hex Pro, Alpine Type-X, or maybe even a Rockford Fosgate T1. The sub will most likely be fed with an amp in the 750-1000 watt range, so keep that in mind (and a good brand, so lets leave that out of the question). So, what do you guys suggest?
Old 08-11-2009, 12:20 AM

from my experiences, the type x won't be louder than the type r. you need to give it a bit more power. also, lower tuning will hurt a bit on the output. keeping a higher tune will yield more output.

what's your budget? i would give audioque hdc12's a try.

http://www.audioque.com/aq/HDCSeries.htm
Old 08-11-2009, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
from my experiences, the type x won't be louder than the type r. you need to give it a bit more power. also, lower tuning will hurt a bit on the output. keeping a higher tune will yield more output.

what's your budget? i would give audioque hdc12's a try.

http://www.audioque.com/aq/HDCSeries.htm
True about the tuning, but I was thinking that getting a sub that can handle more power and increasing the box size will help balance out the output lost by lowering the tune. I'd only lower it down to 30/32hz, also. With this, I was hoping for basically an increase in SQ while still getting an SPL boost from the larger box and better sub.

My budget would be around $250 for the sub alone, but I'm also looking on eBay, craigslist, and other forums for good deals (I don't mind buying used as long as it's in good condition). Those subs remind me of Digital Designs subs. Have you heard these yourself?
Old 08-11-2009, 01:02 AM

nope, haven't heard them myself, although i was very close on picking one up. yeah they're pretty comparable to the DD3512. Some say the HDC is louder, some say DD is louder...so I think it's really a toss up and whoever have the better install will be louder.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:19 AM

After doing some reading, Audioque and DD are sister companies and work in the same warehouse. Supposedly the HDC has a more powerful motor than the 9500 series DD, but that could just be speculation.

What other options are out there? From what I've read, it seems the HDC312 is geared more towards SPL. Plus, buying all the other things needed to get it to perform it's best would take more money overall than what I'd like to spend.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:49 PM

how about Fi Audio Q 12? it's a pretty good sql sub that i ran for awhile. pretty musical while able to get pretty dang loud (it was loud enough to make my rear window flex a bit). i had it in a 2.1 cu ft box tuned to 32hz.

Last edited by AscendantMax; 08-11-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:51 PM
tastey wheat

cant go wrong with either of those subs.

Fi Q/BL, or AQ HDC3

search caraudio.com classifieds