Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Powered Sub or not???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 04:17 PM

Powered Sub or not???

Im looking at getting rid of my 2-12's that I have and downgrading to something a little smaller. I also want the setup to be something that doesnt take up alot of space in the trunk... should I go with a powered subwoofer setup (if so, what kind) or a setup consisting of maybe a 10" slim mount sub and enclosure and amp, etc?? I am on a pretty tight budget with a child on the way (I still like things that make me happy sometimes Which powered sub setups and single sub setups do you guys think are the best bang for the buck?? Open to everyones opinion.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2009, 01:50 PM

As far as powered subwoofers go, the Infinity Basslink and Basslink2 are popular options here. If you were interested in buying one for relatively cheap, PM me.

The only other powered subwoofers I've seen were Bazooka bass tubes and you probably wanna avoid those at all costs.

As far as single sub setups go, that's very open ended and although it's going to be easier to upgrade it's gonna be more expensive. I know the Infinity Reference 1052W/1062W subs are more flexible to fit in the slimmer profile boxes so if you were to go with a non-powered setup that would be an option worth considering.

PM me if you were interested in going with Infinity, I can probably get you a good deal on a complete sub/amp setup.

IMO you're probably better off going with a sub/amp setup that you put together. You get more flexibility as far as power and enclosure options go.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:17 PM

Ok i ended up going with just a simple setup consisting of a power acoustik 10" (p3-10w) 800w RMS and 2000w max dual 2 ohm and a power acoustic BAMF 1800/2 which puts out 760w rms bridged at 4 ohms maxs at 1800w. Im thinkin if i wire these bad boys to 4 ohms they should do the trick. All for less than $200. Anyone heard any of these subs before...let me know what to expect....should I be excited for UPS to drop them off or lower my head in disgrace?
Old 08-27-2009, 09:55 PM

power acousik is pretty much cheap raw bass. they do get pretty darn loud though.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:41 AM

Those 1052w flat out suck. I had two of them in a ported box and fed them 500 watts rms each off of two monoblocks and they both sounded bad and didn't put out any bass. When I worked part time before grad school at a electronics retailer we had a few demo ones and regardless of the box, they were terrible.

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
As far as powered subwoofers go, the Infinity Basslink and Basslink2 are popular options here. If you were interested in buying one for relatively cheap, PM me.

The only other powered subwoofers I've seen were Bazooka bass tubes and you probably wanna avoid those at all costs.

As far as single sub setups go, that's very open ended and although it's going to be easier to upgrade it's gonna be more expensive. I know the Infinity Reference 1052W/1062W subs are more flexible to fit in the slimmer profile boxes so if you were to go with a non-powered setup that would be an option worth considering.

PM me if you were interested in going with Infinity, I can probably get you a good deal on a complete sub/amp setup.

IMO you're probably better off going with a sub/amp setup that you put together. You get more flexibility as far as power and enclosure options go.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:09 AM

My buddy had a couple 10s and they were super loud. Not the cleanest bass ive ever heard but they got the job done which is basically what im looking for...just a little extra bang bc the rear deck speakers arent doing it. ANOTHER ? THO...SHOULD I FIRE THE SUB REGULARLY IN THE BOX OR DOWNFIRE IT IN THE BOX? I really dont know the pros/cons of either I guess maybe it depends on the type of sub?? Could someone please tell me what the pros/cons of each are? Thanks in advance
Old 09-17-2009, 09:06 PM

I'm looking for something simple to add some bottom end to my system...don't need to have it heard 2 blocks away but want to help the stock system out some...

"PM me if you were interested in going with Infinity, I can probably get you a good deal on a complete sub/amp setup.
"
I'll PM you and see what you can do...

Great place you guys have here!
Old 09-17-2009, 11:24 PM

PM replied man.