Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Aftermarket antenna for Maximas... suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 11:23 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Aftermarket antenna for Maximas... suggestions?

Had my power antenna, emblem and trunk keyhole shaved off when the car got repainted. Looks great, but poor reception (unless I'm in NYC). Suggestions on a good aftermarket antenna? Where can I get it?

tks. AnGe
Old 12-03-2001, 12:59 PM
Disco Biscuit

Ange,
Have you considered buying a Volkswagon antenna from like the Jettas and Bettles and mounting it? I wouldnt think that the reception would be bad.
Old 12-03-2001, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by Whitemax
Ange,
Have you considered buying a Volkswagon antenna from like the Jettas and Bettles and mounting it? I wouldnt think that the reception would be bad.
I'm not sure about the compatibility issue (if any).
Old 12-03-2001, 03:43 PM
MaximaRversion2

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl

I'm not sure about the compatibility issue (if any).
Its been done , it was on a previous maxima of the month , i htink from like , 2 months ago. im looking for an aftermarket antena too, one of those short black rubbery looking things ,,, having a hard time finding one

Old 12-03-2001, 04:53 PM
Disco Biscuit

As far as compatability, I would think the only issue "might" be the connector to the antenna, but that can be spliced in. Just a thought.
Old 12-03-2001, 05:37 PM
www.autotalk.com

I have that VW antenna on mine and it works great. Do youhave aftermarket headunit? where ever you will purchase the antenna they will send you the plugs anyways. I forgot the website but if i find it i will let you know.
Old 12-03-2001, 08:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Aftermarket antenna for Maximas... suggestions?

Had my power antenna, emblem and trunk keyhole shaved off when the car got repainted. Looks great, but poor reception (unless I'm in NYC). Suggestions on a good aftermarket antenna? Where can I get it?

tks. AnGe
Ange
i have 3 friends that have the vw antennaes (sp) on their cars. I know 2 of them got them from recyclers, and they both have really good reception, and as far as i know there was no difference in the connections. The only thing they needed was the nissan converter.
Let me know if you need any more help.

Brian
Old 12-04-2001, 12:33 AM

tks. AnGe
What did you do with your old antenna?? Would you be interested in selling it?? Mine broke in a stupid car wash and I'm in need of another. Thanks
Old 12-04-2001, 12:39 AM

tks. AnGe
how bout we trade cars?
Old 12-04-2001, 02:02 PM

Why not use a bmw m3 fish fin looking antena.
Old 12-04-2001, 03:33 PM
MaximaRversion2

Originally posted by max'n out
Ive never seen that , got a pic ?
Ange since someone BROKE MY ANTENNA TODAY !!!!!!! when closing my trunk (my wing hit it because the radio was on ... damn) . do you mind me asking about what it costs to get the antenna shaved and such ?
If i cant go that way , anyone know where i can get one of those short black rubber ones , like the one cheston has ?

Old 12-04-2001, 05:06 PM

i thot those were the receptors for the GPS navigation. my sister's M3 had her antenna built in the roof so it was like our 5th gen max where teh antenna couldn't be seen 'cept it was in the roof instead of teh windshield.
Old 12-04-2001, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by mingo
i thot those were the receptors for the GPS navigation. my sister's M3 had her antenna built in the roof so it was like our 5th gen max where teh antenna couldn't be seen 'cept it was in the roof instead of teh windshield.
Maybe it is? I thought it was for the radio to.

sorry MaximaRversion2, I don't have pics but you can see it on bmw's site just look at teh back top of the roof. It's not gonna be cheap to shave it off, and repaint it.
Old 12-04-2001, 08:07 PM

Max4speed: I have a Pioneer h/u ..

Big_Dawg: I have to ask the shop where they left the antenna after they took it off. I have random OEM parts laying around at the shop. Just haven't gotten around to pick 'em all up. I'll let you know before this weekend.

MaximaRversion2: I don't know how much it would cost to have the trunk keyhole/antenna shaved, primed, sanded and repainted. Rough 'guesstimate' would be $400-500+. All depends on the extent of what you want to do, and the bodyshop you go to ofcourse. I'm positive it's a fraction of the cost compared to the entire repaint/repair/bodywork project.

Malz: Lets trade cars... By the way, raced a 2k M3 Sunday night. JoO missed it.

WhiteMax, Maxima42: Thanks for sharing your insight. Imma look into vw antenna.

Old 12-04-2001, 08:20 PM

Big_Dawg: I have to ask the shop where they left the antenna after they took it off. I have random OEM parts laying around at the shop. Just haven't gotten around to pick 'em all up. I'll let you know before this weekend.

MaximaRversion2: I don't know how much it would cost to have the trunk keyhole/antenna shaved, primed, sanded and repainted. Rough 'guesstimate' would be $400-500+. All depends on the extent of what you want to do, and the bodyshop you go to ofcourse. I'm positive it's a fraction of the cost compared to the entire repaint/repair/bodywork project.

You raced a 2k m3??????? There is no 2k M3, went from 99 to 2001.
Old 12-04-2001, 11:08 PM

2k's were e36 m3's. i think they still sold them then but was still the e36 body style...
Old 12-05-2001, 01:10 AM

Cool...........thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Old 12-05-2001, 04:21 AM
MaximaRversion2

GOd your car is hot ...

Old 12-05-2001, 05:57 AM

Sorry- I don't keep up with cars as much as you guys. But yes, it was a red m3 convertible.. 2001 body. I'm sure I'll see that bastard again
Old 12-06-2001, 07:56 PM

Is that a sarona kit? Nice wheels.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by MAXTOUT
Is that a sarona kit? Nice wheels.
Uh huh- ****-rona kit...

thank u fer your kind words
Old 12-13-2001, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by big_dawg

Cool...........thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Sorry Big Dawg: Checked with the shop today and they junked it a while back when they were redoing my car
I have stock rotors/calipers if anyone's interested
Old 12-14-2001, 01:01 AM

Sorry Big Dawg: Checked with the shop today and they junked it a while back when they were redoing my car
Thanks for checking for me anyways......
Old 12-14-2001, 01:27 AM

hi, did you ever have stock mudguards? I might be interested
Old 12-14-2001, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by Nismo

hi, did you ever have stock mudguards? I might be interested
sold it a while back with the Stillen lip ..sorry
Old 12-14-2001, 12:05 PM

[/B]
Nice car, It looks so clean and the Sarona body kit awesome! I heard some people had trouble fitting the kit onto the car, what's your personal experiance with it?
Old 12-15-2001, 01:53 AM
Former Sponsor

ANge? u wana trade cars with mua? muuwaahahahhha cool what about mingo? =)

so yupperz... ummm what head unit do you have? I'll ask some people about what we can do for lil black antennas... I'm in the market for one too... shaved= pretty

soooo when ya wana do the trade?

-Malz
Old 12-15-2001, 07:51 AM

Sarona Kit Looks Great

Originally posted by norton2099
Nice car, It looks so clean and the Sarona body kit awesome! I heard some people had trouble fitting the kit onto the car, what's your personal experiance with it?
Miserable...absolutely miserable experience. Looks great, but tons of headaches from the time the shop test fitted. It's a joke. Paper thin fiberglass material (cracked one sideskirt already). Nothing lines up right (ie- fender linings had to be zip-tied). Pain in the A$s for any body shop who's installing it I can go on and on about it but that's just the tip of the iceburg.

Malz: You sure u want to trade cars?
I have Pioneer DEH-5200. $150 and its yours..hehehe

Old 12-15-2001, 08:10 AM
Former Sponsor

hmmm maybe I'll trade the stillen kit for the Sarona... and the 5spd and my rims... (everything on my car thats worth a damn!) wouldya still be down?
plus my car is low mileage!! 49K miles!!

annnd ya can keep ur Pioneer hehe i got my Eclipse just wondering about the plugs if ya had to get a new antenna

i'll catchya later! I'll try to find an antenna for us and whoever else is interested and big_dawg you can have my antenna when i get a new one!
Old 12-15-2001, 08:35 PM

tks. AnGe
how much did that cost to shave that?
Old 12-16-2001, 02:11 AM

Re: Sarona Kit Looks Great

Miserable...absolutely miserable experience. Looks great, but tons of headaches from the time the shop test fitted. It's a joke. Paper thin fiberglass material (cracked one sideskirt already). Nothing lines up right (ie- fender linings had to be zip-tied). Pain in the A$s for any body shop who's installing it I can go on and on about it but that's just the tip of the iceburg.

Wow... at least it looks real nice though
Old 12-16-2001, 06:32 PM

Re: Re: Aftermarket antenna for Maximas... suggestions?

Originally posted by puremax
how much did that cost to shave that?
" I don't know how much it would cost to have the trunk keyhole/antenna shaved, primed, sanded and repainted. Rough 'guesstimate' would be $400-500+. All depends on the extent of what you want to do, and the bodyshop you go to ofcourse. I'm positive it's a fraction of the cost compared to the entire repaint/repair/bodywork project (roughly $7500). "
Old 12-17-2001, 09:10 AM

Re: Sarona Kit Looks Great

You had to zip tie your fender linings too? I thought I was the only one with that problem. Only difference was my back bumper cracked instead of the sideskirt. And you're right about the fit, my friend who painted my car and installed the kit told me to never ever bring him a kit like that again. The fiberglass is so thin, he was afraid to buff out the bumpers because he was afraid the pressure would make them crack. Oh well, at least it looks good. Did I tell you about how Sarona flat out lied and told people I was happy with the kit and it fit perfectly?

Miserable...absolutely miserable experience. Looks great, but tons of headaches from the time the shop test fitted. It's a joke. Paper thin fiberglass material (cracked one sideskirt already). Nothing lines up right (ie- fender linings had to be zip-tied). Pain in the A$s for any body shop who's installing it. I can go on and on about it but that's just the tip of the iceburg.

Malz: You sure u want to trade cars?
I have Pioneer DEH-5200. $150 and its yours..hehehe

Old 12-17-2001, 02:16 PM

Re: Re: Sarona Kit Looks Great

Originally posted by Shadow
You had to zip tie your fender linings too? I thought I was the only one with that problem.. Only difference was my back bumper cracked instead of the sideskirt. And you're right about the fit, my friend who painted my car and installed the kit told me to never ever bring him a kit like that again. The fiberglass is so thin, he was afraid to buff out the bumpers because he was afraid the pressure would make them crack. Oh well, at least it looks good. Did I tell you about how Sarona flat out lied and told people I was happy with the kit and it fit perfectly?
No kidding.. I read your post on that somewhere..
One of my clear corner popped out of the front bumper and hanging on its wires while I was on the road... WTF
My sideskirt cracked from a freak accident when I was gettin the vb mod installed in my friend's garage (left 'porta'ramp ricocheted behind my front wheel). Nonetheless, I brought it back to the shop and had them fix the sideskirt with xtra fiberglass so it looks/feels thicker than before.

Verdict- Sarona sux big lousy baLLz
Old 12-17-2001, 07:47 PM
MaximaRversion2

Re: Re: Re: Sarona Kit Looks Great

No kidding.. I read your post on that somewhere..
One of my clear corner popped out of the front bumper and hanging on its wires while I was on the road... WTF
My sideskirt cracked from a freak accident when I was gettin the vb mod installed in my friend's garage (left 'porta'ramp ricocheted behind my front wheel). Nonetheless, I brought it back to the shop and had them fix the sideskirt with xtra fiberglass so it looks/feels thicker than before.

Verdict- Sarona sux big lousy baLLz
anyone seen their "phase II" fender flares on www.custommaxima.com they look almost cool, but the quality and fit concern me a lot. So far the only pic is on a civic ,and i think civics fenders are best left untouched, but the max might be able to use some flavor... we will see i guess. anyone seen them on a max yet ?

Old 12-18-2001, 11:50 AM

Phase II fenders...

Originally posted by MaximaRversion2
anyone seen their "phase II" fender flares on www.custommaxima.com they look almost cool, but the quality and fit concern me a lot. So far the only pic is on a civic ,and i think civics fenders are best left untouched, but the max might be able to use some flavor... we will see i guess. anyone seen them on a max yet ?
n/c
All the flare is just plain overkill... but to each their own
Old 12-18-2001, 12:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sarona Kit Looks Great

Well, if you want something milder, my new Z3 fenders will be available within the next couple of weeks. My shipment will be arriving soon. I do think the PhaseII fenders will be overkill, plus they flare out. Which means your wheels will look really tucked in.

Originally posted by MaximaRversion2

Old 12-18-2001, 01:27 PM
MaximaRversion2

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sarona Kit Looks Great

Originally posted by Shadow
Well, if you want something milder, my new Z3 fenders will be available within the next couple of weeks. My shipment will be arriving soon. I do think the PhaseII fenders will be overkill, plus they flare out. Which means your wheels will look really tucked in.

do you have any pics ??