Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

New High Amp Alternator Just Arrived! Pics Inside!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 02:33 PM

New High Amp Alternator Just Arrived! Pics Inside!

Ok so, my alternator was beginning to whine, and whine pretty bad. I figured since Nissan wanted almost $700.00 for a new STOCK one installed, I would use this opportunity to "upgrade" to a high amp alternator from DC Power Engineering Inc. and just do the install myself. Total cost with shipping was $523.49. The alternator itself was the max amperage that they offered, a whopping 275amps....of which 140amps (hot) is at idle vs. 80-90 amps from the stock unit. Its an OEM direct fitment too. The build quality of this thing is just sick! Have to go get 0 gauge wire to run from the alt to the battery, but other than that, seems stright forward. To bad most wont see it after the install. Ok, here are the pics....

So next is the replacement of the Bose amp and speakers.
I just ordered the new Zed Leviathan 6 channel stereo class D amp No subs, just replacing all 8 speakers with all Focal speakers/components. X- Box Elite sits in the box awaiting install. Lmk what you guys think. Am I missing anything else? All wiring will be upgraded, either a Kinetix or Optima Yellow top will be the new battery. Sooooo with this said I still have my 8 channel A/D/S amp that will need a good home. If anyone is interested, lmk. Thanks
Old 02-26-2010, 03:34 PM

***'in SWEET man, I need one of those bad boys!!

I just did the BIG3 and it made a BIG difference and have a brand new Diehard Gold (which is still under warranty) soon as its done Ill get a Yellow top.

Im sure those Focals will sound badazz!
Old 02-26-2010, 03:46 PM

beefy.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:52 PM

nice! i would love to get a beefier alt, i need to do the big3 badly
Old 02-26-2010, 03:57 PM

Understood about the BIG 3. lol I have a grounding kit from Racingline in the garage that I bought a few months back, and still have not installed. Gues when I install the alt, I should go ahead and do the grounding kit......finally! Yeah this thing is indeed beefy! lol
Old 03-06-2010, 01:00 AM
RR5

That DC alternator does look great, but in my search for alternators I hit this page

http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/hiampalrefor.html

Any thoughts?
Old 03-06-2010, 05:11 AM

Look pretty decent, but it may not work for 6th gen Maximas, same configuration as the 3rd gen Altima. Its rated at 190 amps, the DC is rated at 275, with 140 amps at idle, and the full 275 avail able at 1500 rpms.
Originally Posted by RR5
That DC alternator does look great, but in my search for alternators I hit this page

http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/hiampalrefor.html

Any thoughts?
Old 03-06-2010, 05:26 AM

thats nice i like it. I will be doing an alternator soon. Its like 4th on my to-do-list
Old 03-07-2010, 04:15 AM

Would love a write up on it. Does your new alternator have a smaller pulley? Why do you need to run 0 gauge though?
Old 03-07-2010, 06:44 AM

IIRC, its because there is now a larger current flow
Old 03-07-2010, 07:10 AM

Bingo! With this much current available, the last thing you would want to do is restrict the flow. Improper wiring can lead to a straight up burn down of you car. lol Long story short, the factory wire is not able to supply the flow needed for this alt to work properly.
Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
IIRC, its because there is now a larger current flow

Last edited by 4DRZ; 03-07-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:00 AM
RR5

Originally Posted by cfr94
Would love a write up on it. Does your new alternator have a smaller pulley? Why do you need to run 0 gauge though?
This is no writeup, but does have written steps for removing the alternator. Does not seem entirely impossible for a garage or weekend mechanic.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by RR5
This is no writeup, but does have written steps for removing the alternator. Does not seem entirely impossible for a garage or weekend mechanic.

No need to remove radiator. Just loosen the ac compressor so that it could be moved around and the alternator comes out.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:40 PM

Really? Everyone that I have talked with prior to doing this had to. I had to also, just wasnt enough room to get at it any other way. Wonder if your model has a lil more room in there. Did you replace your alternator?
Originally Posted by SonicDust187
No need to remove radiator. Just loosen the ac compressor so that it could be moved around and the alternator comes out.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:55 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

What da hell is you doing here
Old 03-10-2010, 02:22 PM

I did alternator job twice, on a 99 SE Maxima. All I had to do was take out the 4 bolts holding the ac compressor and move it to the side to give extra space to work on the alternator. After moving the compressor I was able to remove and install replacements.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:50 PM

I'd suggest 2/0 welding cable with that alternator, or at least some higher end 0 gauge: kicker or knukoncepts higher end offering. What kind of audio are you running?
Old 03-10-2010, 05:48 PM

Leviathan 6 channel with ONLY all 8 Bose speakers replaced with ALL Focal components. However...I will be adding a few things later. The biggest draw will be the XBox 360 Elite.
Originally Posted by torontomaxi
I'd suggest 2/0 welding cable with that alternator, or at least some higher end 0 gauge: kicker or knukoncepts higher end offering. What kind of audio are you running?
Old 03-10-2010, 05:49 PM

Hey Pedo-Bear!!! Stop following me! lol j/k I am just shooting the biz over here. Sharing, you know. Dont worry i dont stray too far from "home"
Originally Posted by nismos14
What da hell is you doing here
Old 03-11-2010, 05:51 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Lol as you can see this was / is home for me and has been for a long time.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:02 PM

Lmao.... Didnt even notice all of the posts. wow! lol
Originally Posted by nismos14
Lol as you can see this was / is home for me and has been for a long time.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

A word of caution...

I've installed 2 alts in my 5th gen.. I would highly suggest getting a belt tension gauge to determine the proper belt tension.. I didn't in my first install and made it too tight. Over a short period of time, the belt ended up ruining my AC compressor which I have yet to fix. Also make sure that your pulley isn't smaller. I just received my 200amp alt from iraggi (another good spot to get one for a little cheaper), and to achieve 150amps at idle, he replaced the pulley with a smaller one made of aluminum. For the belt, he suggested going down in size by half an inch. (Stock belt is 43.5", so I am picking up a 43) in order to keep proper tension.

This one is super easy to use

http://www.amazon.com/Gates-91132-Be.../dp/B000CRDLZM

all you have to do is press this down at the middle position of the longest travel area of the belt. when the correct tension is applied, it clicks.. sort of the same way a torque wrench clicks when set. Then it displays the deflection or tension amount of the belt. I think the correct deflection is 1/4 inch if the distance from one pulley center to the other pulley center is 7 to 11 inches. Trust me on this one, if the belt is too tight, you will mess up your ac compressor and alt over a short period of time.. if it's too loose, you run the risk of the belt slipping off.. Something you don't want to look past.

Another note. The stock alternator was very very stuck when I tried yanking it out. Once I finally got it loose, I was using so much force that I pulled it directly into my radiator (since I took the radiator fan out for room.. it is a tight squeeze). I put an alt-sized hole straight through the rad.. fluid everywhere, so watch out for that too.

And yes, this is my very first post in a forum that I've been a part of and has helped me through a lot of crap with my car for 6 years now... I guess it's time I actually contribute.

Also, I'm running a Cerwin Vega Stroker 15" in the trunk on a Powerbass D class 1500 watt amp, CDT audios in the doors on an Arc Audio 150x4 class A. All 0 Gauge including the Big 3. Good Luck on the install! I'll be doing mine today or tomorrow.

I almost forgot. You need to run a 1/0 gauge ground as well from alt to chassis.. not sheet metal. If there is no place to do it, then post your cable at the mounting ear bolt that is closest to the back of the alt housing. You won't get everything out of the alt if you don't match your positive current with equal negative.

Last edited by idrive; 03-12-2010 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:27 PM

is that the price im looking at for an high output alternato ?? =o!!! holy shiznit.. i was thinking around 350 or so wat the duce.. any body got some links to some high alty options
Old 03-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

After a few days researching before buying mine.. I've found, based on many positive reviews from other Car Audio Forums, that iraggi is the way to go. It's an ebay store, but don't let that push you to thinking it's crap.

http://stores.ebay.com/Iraggi-Altern...nd-Electronics

some testimonials

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/boa...gi-alternator/

The only bad reviews I've read were from people that installed it wrong, or had it installed wrong. If you're putting a high amp alt in your car, wires need to be upgraded and better grounds need to be found.. If you get a mechanic or car audio shop to do it, make sure you know what they're doing and where they're posting grounds, or if they're even upgrading the wiring at all!! It's not their car, they just want your money!

My 200Amp alt was 350 after shipping. You really can't get any cheaper than that if you're looking for something that won't burn out in a year.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:23 PM

Looks really nice! I like the price better than what I paid, lol, but i am happy, or should I say happier after installing this and then having it tested for "the" numbers. Stock belts and all, and at idle it is producing 170 amps! I thought it was a mistake. That is 30 over what they say in the specs. Big 3 was done, kinetix battery up front, and much more power than I will ever need. I admit Dave's customer service may be a lil "challenged" lol, but the goods are, well, very good. Please let us know what kind of numbers you get with your new alt after install and such. Very interested. Good find
Originally Posted by idrive
After a few days researching before buying mine.. I've found, based on many positive reviews from other Car Audio Forums, that iraggi is the way to go. It's an ebay store, but don't let that push you to thinking it's crap.

http://stores.ebay.com/Iraggi-Altern...nd-Electronics

some testimonials

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/boa...gi-alternator/

The only bad reviews I've read were from people that installed it wrong, or had it installed wrong. If you're putting a high amp alt in your car, wires need to be upgraded and better grounds need to be found.. If you get a mechanic or car audio shop to do it, make sure you know what they're doing and where they're posting grounds, or if they're even upgrading the wiring at all!! It's not their car, they just want your money!

My 200Amp alt was 350 after shipping. You really can't get any cheaper than that if you're looking for something that won't burn out in a year.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:39 PM

ok 350 sounds more like it..lol.. im looking into the site now.. deff goin wit these guys
Old 03-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just finished install today. I forgot how unfun that is... Somethings up with my radiator fan when it kicks on.. winds up realllly loud and is making some funky noises.. picking a new one up tomorrow. I'll put numbers up after, since it was dropping voltage badly due to the fan. During the test run, the voltage didnt drop past 14 with the system blaring. That was before the fan kicked on.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

iraggi does a 270 as well for 4 and change...would come down to warranty for me....im looking to do this same time as the header install as i just threw an autozone one in before i left so i wouldnt run out of warrant.
im interested in that 8 channel ads by the way lol.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:00 PM

I will PM you with pics. This amp is not for the faint of heart, it is HUGE! lol
Originally Posted by Cant_Get_Ryte
iraggi does a 270 as well for 4 and change...would come down to warranty for me....im looking to do this same time as the header install as i just threw an autozone one in before i left so i wouldnt run out of warrant.
im interested in that 8 channel ads by the way lol.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:31 PM
RR5

This is interesting, Iraggi Alternator shows two listed for the 2001-2003 maxima 3.5L one is $350 buy it now with a 1 year warranty and the other is $450 with a 2 year warranty.

Is that extra $100 for the additional year of warranty really necessary?
Old 03-17-2010, 05:58 AM

thats how they get u.they dont care bout this recession! lol
Old 03-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So, two weeks later... Aside from my AC compressor starting to die, the iraggi holds up! I'm running about 2k watts, stressed the alt to see how far the voltage drops. On heavy drum and bass, at idle, it never went below 12.5v. I don't have a meter to measure amps right now, so all I can offer is voltage readings. Which, by the way, if any of you guys have a pioneer AVIC series HU, don't trust their on-screen voltmeter. Mine is off by at least an entire volt. The reading I get at battery, at idle, nothing running, is a strong 14.5... The HU gives me 13.6 under the same conditions.

Anyway, I think, as far as bang-for-buck goes, Iraggi is the way. I should've gone for the 250 amp.. (every amp = about 10 watts give or take) since I plan on replacing the arc 4100 with a Zapco ref 1000.4 in the summer.

What I don't like about it - smaller pulley - I understand the purpose behind it, more amps for revs, but I feel like this will diminish the life of the alt. I can tell that the DC amp 4DRZ got has the stock size pulley.. I mean, that thing is beefy and will probably never die.

I also went the cheaper route because I'm not sure how long I plan on keepin my current Max for, but I still needed to UG the alt and I love my audio. She's 10 years old now and everything but the engine is starting to die on me.

Picked up a memphis 5 band EQ today, gonna go install!
Old 03-28-2010, 02:38 PM

seductive!!
Old 03-28-2010, 05:06 PM

ight so i want to order an alt from these IRAGGI guys.. so if i put thier alty on i have to get smaller belt?... also i sent a message to them dudes on ebay and they neva got bak to me yet...
Old 03-29-2010, 07:20 PM

ANYONE ELSE ORDER AN ALTY FROM THESE GUYS?? IS IT A STRAIT BOLT ON ANYTHING I SHOULD KNOW ABOUT AS FAR AS THE WIREING OR HOOK UP GOES..!!!!!
Old 03-31-2010, 12:23 AM

BUMP!!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2010, 01:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

the alt is a straight replacement.. stock bolt-on.. you will need to add larger wiring to the existing wiring, its not that hard. if you don't then its not worth it. not sure what size belt your 03 takes, but it needs to be 1/2 inch shorter than the stock belt since the pulley is smaller. look it up at the autozone website to find your stock belt size and subtract a half inch and purchase that belt size instead.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:05 PM

ok is see maxima 97 99 2000-2003 are all these years altys the same>?
also is there a big difference between the 220 alty and the 200 alty
Old 04-03-2010, 11:18 AM

I wonder if Nissan makes an alternator for a different car that is more powerful then ours and bolts right in?
Old 04-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

mechman was just offering a 50$ discount on caraudioclassifieds.org. his is a 220 amp offering. Im going with the DC Power. Noted their 240 but its worth the extra for the 275 to me got alot going on turns out they are 15 minutes from where i grew up, and ill be there during midtour when i fly in a couple weeks for leave.

Quick Reply: New High Amp Alternator Just Arrived! Pics Inside!