Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Car Audio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 08:22 PM

Car Audio Upgrade

So iam getting tired of my BOSE cutting out, and I want to get a new stereo system.

I am looking at the Pioneer AVIC-X910B7 and some good speaker's what do you guys recommend?

I wanna keep my hands free controls as well, "steering wheel controls"

If anyone has suggestions let me know.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Ill admit that i was happy with my rainbow germanium setup with the dual 6.5s. in a properly sealed door they were decent. een just running a single pair for a bit actively.
other than that i was alot happier with the nobelliums, but i can also say that if you dont want to drop coin like that that you can get away with a set of the Polk Momos and be pretty good. I wasnt wild about the tweeter when i ran them, but the mid actually wasnt that bad considering what it cost me.
Other than that there is a set from pioneer that has gotten some really good reviews on the boards (ca.com) and arent too expensive. even cheaper there are ppi comps floating around on there that not too long ago were fairly cheap and can still be had for reasonable prices. recommend getting with 6spdcoupe (Don) if your gonna go extravagent, hell make it at least accessible if its too much most of the time lol. great guy. i drove to jersey to get mine when they came in and have dealt with him a few times. good guy.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:50 PM

get a sub. it will make any type of music sound so much better. you dont have to blast it to make it sounds good
Old 05-07-2010, 12:09 PM
faster than you think

I just bought Alpine CDA-105. It's still on the way to me. Hopefully sound good enough to run it for year and upgrade my speakers.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Suspension Yoda

This is an old thread...but....

What's your budget? I have an Alpine CDA-9856 for sale if you're interested. And I'm in East Brunswick, not too far from Hamilton.

You'll need a PAC Steering Wheel Interface module to retain your steering wheel controls. They make them for most aftermarket decks out there.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:36 PM

yeah a good sub will help make your system sound better
Old 06-16-2010, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by JordanBertini
yeah a good sub will help make your system sound better
duh noob
Old 06-16-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
duh noob
Iam dying in laughter. no seriously I am. I can't believe that wasn't sarcasim.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:33 AM

would this have been better

"no **** sherlock"
Old 08-03-2010, 12:02 PM

I have been trying to find a similar solution. I didnt get an answer in the FAQ so here it is again. Any help is hightly appreciated:

I have been on Maxima.org for the past couple of days trying to look for a solution for my 6th generation Max without Bose. Here is what I am looking for: I want to keep the original cd player as I do not like the aftermarket look. Plan of action is to get a PAC NIS2 and hook up my zune to it. A couple of my speakers are torn so I figured I would change them as well. I am looking for some help in the following:

1. I am planning to get 6.5" speakers for the front and rear doors. Will I need any adapters/mounting brackets or is it a simple swap. Crutchfield says I will have to splice the cable for the speakers. Is there any available harness? Also will a 4 ohm speaker do? I know the Bose system is 1 Ohm but I donno what the non bose speakers are.

2. The rear deck. This is where I am confused the most. Does my car come with a 6X9 or 8" subs? My plan is to replace them, get an amp to power them. Brings me back to the head unit: I do not think there is a line out. Should I use the wires that are going into the back speakers or should I buy a line out kit from PAC? I am not looking to add a sub box. I wanna keep the install as clean as possible.

Also are there are tutorials for me to open up the panels/console/rear deck? I have been finding everything for the 4th and the 5th generation.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Suspension Yoda

1. You'll need brackets for the speakers. Use MDF rings. If a harness exists, then Crutchfield would/should have it. So if they're telling you that you have to cut the two wires, then you likely have to cut because no adapter exists. Since you're non-Bose, you don't have a separate amp. Which means that your HU is the amplifier. It's running your speakers at standard 4ohm. You don't need a converter of any sort, just connect your aftermarket speakers (which are also a standard 4ohm) to the speaker wire.

No matter where you are in the car, the wires you use will be high-level. So either get an amp that has high level inputs, or get an LOC. Where you hook up the LOC is your choice. You can connect it behind your factory radio and run a long RCA to your amp. This method is best if you EVER plan on changing your radio, the RCA's will already be run for you.

Or you can connect it to the rear speakers and use a short RCA (assuming your amp will be in your trunk)

Where are you located?
Old 09-15-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
1. You'll need brackets for the speakers. Use MDF rings. If a harness exists, then Crutchfield would/should have it. So if they're telling you that you have to cut the two wires, then you likely have to cut because no adapter exists. Since you're non-Bose, you don't have a separate amp. Which means that your HU is the amplifier. It's running your speakers at standard 4ohm. You don't need a converter of any sort, just connect your aftermarket speakers (which are also a standard 4ohm) to the speaker wire.

No matter where you are in the car, the wires you use will be high-level. So either get an amp that has high level inputs, or get an LOC. Where you hook up the LOC is your choice. You can connect it behind your factory radio and run a long RCA to your amp. This method is best if you EVER plan on changing your radio, the RCA's will already be run for you.

Or you can connect it to the rear speakers and use a short RCA (assuming your amp will be in your trunk)

Where are you located?
djfrestyl: Believe it or not the car does have an amp! Its between the 2 6X9s in the rear deck. My car speakers were cracking after sound was above 21, so I went ahead and got 3 sets of speakers (front and rear doors and rear deck) but the crackle continued. I unplugged the small amp in the back and I hear music from 4 speakers and not the rear deck. The crackle is gone now, but I have no bass at all now. The amp is factory and not aftermarket. (Clarion en-1204D). I am wondering if I should get a replacement from ebay (about 55 bucks) or should I get a small amp which I can power the rear deck 6X9. Not looking to spend too much.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Suspension Yoda

If you don't want to spend much, then just get a replacement amp (same one).
Old 09-16-2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
If you don't want to spend much, then just get a replacement amp (same one).
I was wondering if I can get a cheap amp with high level inputs. Also will I be able to run the power from the current harness and not run RCA (effectively eliminating the line out need from the stereo). Let me know. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by mitrals
I was wondering if I can get a cheap amp with high level inputs. Also will I be able to run the power from the current harness and not run RCA (effectively eliminating the line out need from the stereo). Let me know. Thanks!
I'll add my two cents....You can buy a amp with high level inputs. But, it always sounds like crap. RCA's all the way. Really, you should just get a new headunit your already more than half way there. Your sound quality would drastically improve. Your cheating yourself at this point....IMO
Old 09-17-2010, 06:10 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by mitrals
Nope you can't do this. It's not the level of the signal, its the impedance of the amp. The bose system runs at 2ohms. Good luck finding an amp that will output for door speakers at 2 ohms. You'll either blow the amp, or blow the speakers. If you want to replace the amp, you HAVE to replace the speakers.

And I agree, run RCA's. The Bose HU outputs pre-amp line level signal.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So I have an '08 Max and just had the Bose Factory Radio replaced with a Pioneer Avic x920bt with NIRD-01. They put in some high level to low level filters in the line (not sure if this is correct). Now it sounds MUCH worse than stock. I would have assumed replacing the head unit would have made everything sound much better. What is the correct way to replace just the head unit using the NIRD 01 interface, I miss my factory radio now...
Old 09-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Suspension Yoda

They didn't install it right, take it back. Whatever converters they used either were not configured or wired properly, or simply not the right ones to use.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:10 PM

when i had a blazer my bose BUMPED ppl heard me comin. when i got my 97 max se my radio didnt work right. i think it needed a new faceplate. but i wanted my alpine in anyways. i got that in n wat not but my speakers dont sound as good as it shud. i read that aftermarket decks put out too much for the speakers. 13 year old car anyways so i said screw it . im gonna save up money n maybe get some apline spr-17s. plus i got 2 10s ready to go in the back jus havent done it yet.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:39 PM

if yu trying to have yur shyt to knock yu need a good radio..... good radio good sound ...... get pair of components in the front im big orion guy in the back get mids now yu can go with one 12 or two .... now yu need amp to power everything up 5 channel amp or go with set up of two amp .... 1 channel nd 4 channel nd yu should be good (alpine9887 radio) (orion xtr pro speakers) (sub orion) (amps orion)
Old 09-17-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by yualreadyknow908
if yu trying to have yur shyt to knock yu need a good radio..... good radio good sound ...... get pair of components in the front im big orion guy in the back get mids now yu can go with one 12 or two .... now yu need amp to power everything up 5 channel amp or go with set up of two amp .... 1 channel nd 4 channel nd yu should be good (alpine9887 radio) (orion xtr pro speakers) (sub orion) (amps orion)
??? What ??? Is this english?
Old 09-18-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Joeker82
??? What ??? Is this english?

hahahhaha
to me it didnt make sense. maybe the amp part but thats about it. but im still goin wit gettin 4 alpines 2 in the front 2 in the back. then hookin up the subs.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:48 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

lolz @ this thread.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Suspension Yoda

Well, I tried to help and that didn't work, so I'm out of this thread. Good luck to all of you.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:00 PM

to get the best sound out of yur systems yu need a good radio ...... alpine 9887 is amazin radio it have build in cross over....if yu dont know what cross over is ... yu can take out the bass out of yur speaker......yu dont need bass in yur car speaker let the sub do it all work ..... yu need 4channel power up yur car speakers.... nd dont go by the watt... go by rms .. the higher rms the better .... dont get cheap amp kit either yu need atleast 4g wire that more then enough to upgrade later on in the future meaning(more powerful amp or sub i spend 4g on my car systems alone...... just my front speaker alone are 350.......if yu need advice pm ill help yu out
Old 12-30-2010, 05:20 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

to get the best sound out of yur systems yu need a good radio ...... alpine 9887 is amazin radio it have build in cross over....if yu dont know what cross over is ... yu can take out the bass out of yur speaker......yu dont need bass in yur car speaker let the sub do it all work ..... yu need 4channel power up yur car speakers.... nd dont go by the watt... go by rms .. the higher rms the better .... dont get cheap amp kit either yu need atleast 4g wire that more then enough to upgrade later on in the future meaning(more powerful amp or sub i spend 4g on my car systems alone...... just my front speaker alone are 350.......if yu need advice pm ill help yu out
What?

What did you spend $4g's on?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:12 AM

radio speakers subs amps
Old 12-30-2010, 08:45 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

ok.. what brands what model numbers?
Old 01-17-2011, 07:20 PM

pioneer pioneer pioneer could never go wrong with them or Kenwood receivers
Old 01-17-2011, 08:10 PM

SOMEBODY! Please, PM this guy for stereo help! HAHA! I think we should sticky this! This is some good s**t. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:06 AM

i think i need a new radio wit the crossover in it. cuz too much bass goes to my bose speakers n it sounds like crap. plus im thinkin of gettin a sellenium horn for high treb, **** is loud lol