Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Non Bose head unit plug question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:16 AM

Non Bose head unit plug question

So I bought a Scosche adapter for 74+ Nissans the problem with it is it comes with four plugs, I am guessing to fit multiple generations. I am installing a Clarion into a 97 SE non Bose, did all the speakers yesterday, that was fun. My question is which plugs do the 4th gen use so I can remove the other plugs to save space ...

I am guessing it's the new style A group? I don't want to take apart my stereo and then figure out which one, I need to be able to have it ready to go in.

Also, should I connect the chassis ground into the harness, or just ground it off the frame somewhere inside there?
Old 10-24-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by xj0hnx
So I bought a Scosche adapter for 74+ Nissans the problem with it is it comes with four plugs, I am guessing t fit multiple generations. I am installing a Clarion into a 97 SE non Bose, did all the speakers yesterday, that was fun. My question is which plugs do the 4th gen use so I can remove the other plugs to save space ...

I am guessing it's the new style A group? I don't want to take apart my stereo and then figure out which one, I need to be able to have it ready to go in.

Also, should I connect the chassis ground into the harness, or just ground it off the frame somewhere inside there?
kinda hard to see what's going on there? Your gonna need your normals..red, black, yellow. As far as the ground goes, use the factory ground out of the harness. I would hook up what you need and then assess what you don't need. That way you won't clip anything you need
Old 10-24-2010, 01:30 PM

I've already got the adapter wired in, I left the amp remote, amp ground (going to go ahead and connect my RCAs for my amp), and chassis ground unconnected, but I will go ahead and connect the chassis ground from the new deck into the harness. I was unsure which set of plugs the the factory radio use's since the harness is for 1974+, but I got done what I needed to today and should have enough day light to get it in regardless of any hang ups.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:03 PM

Grrr ...so everything is wired according to the Scosche wiring scheme, but nothing. I plugged it in and the antenna just went up, with the car off, I then hooked in the chassis ground to a bolt under the radio area, and it went down ...weird. But I am getting no power to the head unit. Back to the FSM I guess.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:31 PM

W0ot! Got it, the Scosche harness had the 12v switched in the wrong spot, moved it down to the number 7 spot and voila. Interesting though, it didn't need a bracket to mount the radio, or pocket, they both bolted right to the OEM frame.

And if anyone is using the 74+ Scorsche harness (NN032), it's the A set, so if you want to remove the other two, and clean up the harness ...do it. There will be four unused wires off the harness, three blacks labeled amp ground, and chassis ground on the big plug, and another labeled chassis ground on the small plug, a blue/white amp remote, this is provided you use the chassis ground straight out of the head unit to a ground on the frame like I did.

I connected my RCAs, and the remote wire for my amp that I'll be putting in when I get time, this shouldn't cause any issue? The bundle is stuffed up under the center console off to the passenger side.

Last edited by xj0hnx; 10-24-2010 at 04:34 PM.