Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

How sealed is sealed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 09:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How sealed is sealed?

I just finished building a fiberglass subwoofer box. The volume seems very low, it just isn't hitting like it was with in the ported mdf box that it came in.

The sub is a 10" JL Audio 10W1v2-2. The enclosure is about .1 cubic ft larger than the recommendation.

I covered the box with felt and have felt between the sub and the box. Would this be causing my problem?

I'm driving the sub with a Rub5.800.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2011, 09:24 AM

it should be fine if the sub is properly screwed into the box. i've had carpeted boxes in the past, and as long as the sub is tightly screwed/bolted in, there shouldn't be any leaks around the sub's frame. is there a gasket on the sub?

also, you do realize that you'll lose quite a bit of output when going from a ported box to a sealed one right?
Old 12-04-2011, 10:08 AM

If you want loud shaking bass your best bet would be ported. What happened is normal, you should be getting some cleaner bass with the sealed enclosure but not nearly as loud.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:49 AM

What the last too posters said, LOL
Old 12-05-2011, 11:14 AM

sealed = cleanest, tightest sound
ported = still decent sound, more bass
bandpass = boom boom
Old 12-06-2011, 03:01 PM

Sealed boxes are ideal for smaller subs such as a 10" box and for different types of music as well. Sealed boxes provide a very tight and clear bass but lack in the deep tone that ported boxes provide. It really depends on the type of music you listen to. I prefer music with lots of bass so I have 2 12" sub in a ported box. Another aspect of the ported box is the tuning frequency. If the tuning frequency of the box isn't matched to the subs that you put in it then it can actually damage the sub by not having the right amount of air in the box to "cushion" the sub and it will end up damaging the voice coils. A ported box is better suited to new music with lots of bass and a sealed box is better suited to music such as classic rock where the bass isn't so pronounce.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Sealed boxes are ideal for smaller subs such as a 10" box and for different types of music as well. Sealed boxes provide a very tight and clear bass but lack in the deep tone that ported boxes provide. It really depends on the type of music you listen to. I prefer music with lots of bass so I have 2 12" sub in a ported box. Another aspect of the ported box is the tuning frequency. If the tuning frequency of the box isn't matched to the subs that you put in it then it can actually damage the sub by not having the right amount of air in the box to "cushion" the sub and it will end up damaging the voice coils. A ported box is better suited to new music with lots of bass and a sealed box is better suited to music such as classic rock where the bass isn't so pronounce.
hmm...

1. a sealed box can be used for any sized sub, not just small ones. you can have a sealed 15 (which i had for awhile) or even an 18 if you have the space.

2. sealed boxes can give a VERY low extension in response. the air "spring" in the box will control the sub very effectively. the downside is that you tend to need a lot of power to do so, or have a very large box volume to compensate for smaller amps. ported boxes can drop very low too, but you can't deny the notion that sealed boxes can do the same.

3. tuning frequency isn't 'matched' to the subwoofer per se...but in how you want the setup to sound. higher tunings will tend to be a bit peaky in the response, and provide a lot of output. boxes tuned lower will have a flatter response, while sacrificing a tiny bit of output. mechanical damage (not necessarily the voice coil) to the sub usually happens when it's being played below the port's tuning, where there is basically no air dampening on the cone. you can damage the suspension/bottom out the sub.

4. soooo...ported boxes tend to be a lot louder than their sealed counterparts, but you'll lose a little bit of accuracy (but any nicely designed subwoofer will remain pretty accurate, even in a ported enclosure). sealed boxes takes up a smaller footprint, and the output isn't nearly as much as a ported box...but you gain a bit of accuracy.

Last edited by AscendantMax; 12-06-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:31 PM

shocknwave, I suggest you educate yourself before you try to help others. nice try tho lol
Old 12-06-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
hmm...

1. a sealed box can be used for any sized sub, not just small ones. you can have a sealed 15 (which i had for awhile) or even an 18 if you have the space.

2. sealed boxes can give a VERY low extension in response. the air "spring" in the box will control the sub very effectively. the downside is that you tend to need a lot of power to do so, or have a very large box volume to compensate for smaller amps. ported boxes can drop very low too, but you can't deny the notion that sealed boxes can do the same.

3. tuning frequency isn't 'matched' to the subwoofer per se...but in how you want the setup to sound. higher tunings will tend to be a bit peaky in the response, and provide a lot of output. boxes tuned lower will have a flatter response, while sacrificing a tiny bit of output. mechanical damage (not necessarily the voice coil) to the sub usually happens when it's being played below the port's tuning, where there is basically no air dampening on the cone. you can damage the suspension/bottom out the sub.

4. soooo...ported boxes tend to be a lot louder than their sealed counterparts, but you'll lose a little bit of accuracy (but any nicely designed subwoofer will remain pretty accurate, even in a ported enclosure). sealed boxes takes up a smaller footprint, and the output isn't nearly as much as a ported box...but you gain a bit of accuracy.

You are more than right... I would also like to add that with a sealed box, you can overpower the subs by sometime 2-300 watts. take for example my setup is a Mach 5 audio IXL2.2 in a sealed 3.6 box with batting "thinking" its a 5.5 cube box, powered by a RF 1000.1bd which gives out 1300RMS... and the sub is rated at 900 watts, I NEVER have reached full excursion and I love the tight bass it gives without being out of control, i get amazing extensions down to 20hz, its just not as "loud" as a ported box, but my setup is literally indestructable, which I love because I am known to have a tendency to CRANK it
Old 12-07-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Brudface
You are more than right... I would also like to add that with a sealed box, you can overpower the subs by sometime 2-300 watts. take for example my setup is a Mach 5 audio IXL2.2 in a sealed 3.6 box with batting "thinking" its a 5.5 cube box, powered by a RF 1000.1bd which gives out 1300RMS... and the sub is rated at 900 watts, I NEVER have reached full excursion and I love the tight bass it gives without being out of control, i get amazing extensions down to 20hz, its just not as "loud" as a ported box, but my setup is literally indestructable, which I love because I am known to have a tendency to CRANK it
I can vouch for the 1000.1bd that things is a ****ing monster
Old 12-07-2011, 04:19 PM

Get a ported box if you want it louder, you have to dynamat the whole car if you want it to sound clean if sealed.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:38 PM

deadening the the car is beneficial, regardless what sub/box setup you're using.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:07 PM

deadening the the car is beneficial, regardless what sub/box setup you're using.
Well, it does add weight so you need to keep that in mind too.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks for the replies. I adjusted the amp and am happy with the levels now.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:20 AM

DO NOT use dynamat... It's overpriced and there is other product out there for a much better price and quality. Check out SecondSkin deadeners if you want to look into sound deadening.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:17 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Dynamat is fine, and the price (when you look in the right places) is usually about the same or less than second skin damplifier..