Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Laptop in a maxima

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:17 PM

Laptop in a maxima

Hey all, I own a 97 4th gen maxima and I want to put a laptop in it to control the audio components(and maybe for additional mods should I take the maxima that far) My question is how do I wire the laptop up so that the laptop will charge while the car is on/running?

The ideal situation would be a cord that can plug into the power outlets but haven't seen anything like that for sale for a laptop and wonder if one can be made

Also I have a usb adaptor in the back of my after market radio but I'm not really sure if it's compatible with a laptop so I guess I'll have to find another way to send my music from my laptop to my speakers...

I've searched around but google failed me and and nothing relevant came up on the forum search and nothing came up.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Grimix
Hey all, I own a 97 4th gen maxima and I want to put a laptop in it to control the audio components(and maybe for additional mods should I take the maxima that far) My question is how do I wire the laptop up so that the laptop will charge while the car is on/running?

The ideal situation would be a cord that can plug into the power outlets but haven't seen anything like that for sale for a laptop and wonder if one can be made

Also I have a usb adaptor in the back of my after market radio but I'm not really sure if it's compatible with a laptop so I guess I'll have to find another way to send my music from my laptop to my speakers...

I've searched around but google failed me and and nothing relevant came up on the forum search and nothing came up.

You have several options...for power, buy a power inverter for like $20 like this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000WS...dir_mdp_mobile

For getting sound from the computer to the radio, you can buy a code that will plug into the headphones jack of the computer that then plugs into the head unit (if you have that mp3 port on your head unit) or u can buy a FM transmitter.

Here are some links
http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/det...11&ev=prodView

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/det...11&ev=prodView

Hope this helps and is the info u were looking for.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:08 PM

How about a netbook instead of a laptop?
Old 12-07-2011, 06:10 PM

The power inverter helps but my radio lacks a headphone type jack to plug an ipod in. This is the model radio I have
http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cda-117

Theres an ipod adapter wire coming from the and underneath the the radio. I know there is a usb jack on the back side of the radio but I'm pretty sure I haven't seen a headphone jack. There are two aux red and blue type connections on the back of it but using those to send power to my two woofers
Old 12-07-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by abrahams600
How about a netbook instead of a laptop?
I have an old laptop sitting around I was plannin on selling but figured this my be a better(more fun) idea

But if a netbook would make it easier may consider going that route.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Grimix
The power inverter helps but my radio lacks a headphone type jack to plug an ipod in. This is the model radio I have
http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cda-117

Theres an ipod adapter wire coming from the and underneath the the radio. I know there is a usb jack on the back side of the radio but I'm pretty sure I haven't seen a headphone jack. There are two aux red and blue type connections on the back of it but using those to send power to my two woofers
Not sure about the USB but if you don't have the ipod jack on your head unit you'd have.to go with the FM transmitter which would plug into your laptop headphones port and send the sound via the selected FM Channel to your radio. If you go that route though, get an FM transmitter that has rechargable batteries so you don't uave to keep It pluged in all the time.