Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

5th Gen Tweeter Placement

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 04:04 PM

5th Gen Tweeter Placement

Ive had a nice set of components in my 5th gen for a while now but have grown weary of the shrill sounding highs. Ive wondered if aiming them towards the windshield (they are currently mounted in the stock location) might smooth out the almost painful sound. I realize I could change the angle of the tweeters myself in about ten minutes but Id like to get some input before I go ripping my A pillars off.

My question for you 5th genners is this: Where do you have your tweeters mounted? Has anyone experimented with different angles/locations?
Old 03-14-2012, 01:16 PM

what kind of components are they? and odds are you'll have to experiment with different tweeter locations to get the best sound for you.

try taping the tweeters to the dash, play with the angles, and see how they sound.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
what kind of components are they?
this. might wanna switch to a soft dome tweeter.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:31 PM

The components are Auditor RIP 165s. Not sure as to the type of tweeter- the documentation isnt the best.

Im also running these off of a Pioneer head unit. Sounds decent but Im looking at getting a good 4 channel amp.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:07 PM

hmm, looks to be some sort of metal dome from what i can google up about those components. metal domes can be quite harsh (although not all metal domes are harsh...some of the higher end speakers can sound quite good)

that said, i personally find soft dome tweeters a bit more pleasing to my ears. you can try to bounce the tweeters off the windshield. maybe it'll cut down on some of the harshness. you can also try some EQing to lower the higher notes.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:47 PM

Would an amp smooth out the highs or make them brighter?

And what are your thoughts on something like this? Though Id hate to basically throw away the current tweeters.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:57 PM

no, the amp will just make your speakers play louder without stressing your head unit. so essentially it'll play cleaner, but that wont necessarily resolve the harsh sound from your tweeter.

you can try to adjust the treble down a bit to see if that helps. but yeah, i personally prefer soft domes. if i were you, i'd try to sell your components and just get another set. mis-matching isn't ideal since the crossovers might not match the other speaker's ideal frequency range.

but yes, the polks in that link should play softer than your current tweeters.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:18 AM

Check your cross over for different setttings. Many block style cross overs will have some type of jumper to add db to the tweets. In my experience they come pre configured for the most tweeter db gain.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:59 PM

Cross over is not adjustable unfortunately. Ive tried turning down the highs which resulted in less ear bleeding but a very noticeable loss in detail. These components sound awesome they are just hard on the ears.

If I do end up selling them and getting something else, what would y'all recommend in terms of components in the $200-300 price range?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:22 PM

for that price range, hands down i recommend rainbow audio soundlines

http://www.rainbowcaraudio.com/slc265-25ng.html

i ran a set in the past, and they are very hard to beat for the price IMO. you will love the cal25 silk dome tweeters...hell the entire set sounds very well balanced. great midbass response, nice detailed extension without the crazy harshness. your ears will thank you.

contact pearl96max for more info.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
for that price range, hands down i recommend rainbow audio soundlines

Contact pearl96max for more info.
Thanks for the recommendation, though at the moment Im running my system off a cheap Pioneer head unit with no amp and stock wiring. Those speakers look nice but I fear my current system will let them down.Im not sure if I should dump the cash into those speakers or on a better head unit and actual amp.

Is pearl96max a distributor?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Mesa
Thanks for the recommendation, though at the moment Im running my system off a cheap Pioneer head unit with no amp and stock wiring. Those speakers look nice but I fear my current system will let them down.Im not sure if I should dump the cash into those speakers or on a better head unit and actual amp.

Is pearl96max a distributor?
IMO, upgrade your head unit and get an external amp. the amp doesn't need to be anything huge though...

save up some more funds and get some better speakers. invest on some good equipment now and you'll enjoy them for years down the road.

and yes he's an authorized dealer.