Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

2002 Maxima...To replace complete sound system???

Old 01-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2002 Maxima...To replace complete sound system???

Just purchased a mint condition 2000 Maxima. It has the Bose system. Not bad but I prefer to gut and replace the system. So I ask....

What head unit is recommended? I prefer a Pioneer.

I will be installing new HU, with XM, replace all four door speakers, add two amps (4x4) and (Mono) and dual 12 inch subs in box and re-wire all components.

Now what do I do with all this Bose stuff, I been reading about? Just trash it or can any of the components be used? or should I sell them all on EBay?

If a rewire and complete new install, what problems will I be faced with? Is the body structure strong enough for dual 12's? Should I Dynamat the doors and truck?

Any and all recommendations would be most appreciated.

Thank you...
Old 01-12-2013, 06:58 PM

I replaced mine with a pioneer DEH-80PRS bought the wiring harness, install kit, and steering wheel controls adapter from crutchfield, ran all my RCA wires to the trunk, power ground and remote wires ran, replaced the door speakers, made note of what color the wires were to EACH speaker, and when i removed the bose amp from the trunk i spliced into the same color wires so that i could hook the speakers up without having to run all new wire to them, and if you dont want a BIG system, i suggest you replace the factory 8" woofer with a very good free air 8" woofer. I cut the entire rear deck out of my car and put in two twelve inch woofers in the deck. *IF* i could do it again, which i can i suppose, i would have done two 8" woofers or two 10" woofers and ported the box.
I have a thread about two twelves in the rear deck on here.

matthew
Old 01-13-2013, 10:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So are you saying that all wiring comes back to the trunk? Radio wiring? Speakers wiring? I take it there's an amp in the trunk. Just got this vehicle, so forgive the dumbness. I currently have 2 - 12's in a box that will go in the trunk, along with the amps.

So if I understand correctly....I should be able to do the following.....

1. Mount Headunit and steering control.
2. Run RCAs (Line out & Sub output) from HU back to amps in trunk.
3. Run XM signal cable back to trunk.
4. Install speakers in doors...noting wire color coding.
5. Disco speaker wiring from factory amp and run to new installed amp.
6. Connect XM wiring to XM tuner control.
7. Run new power cables to battery for amps.

I will run RCAs on passenger side and run Power cables on driver's side, to keep noise to a minimum.

Are there any documentation available...service manual, wiring manual, etc?

Am I on the right track?

Thanks...

Last edited by bigdog4all; 01-13-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by bigdog4all
So are you saying that all wiring comes back to the trunk? Radio wiring? Speakers wiring? I take it there's an amp in the trunk. Just got this vehicle, so forgive the dumbness. I currently have 2 - 12's in a box that will go in the trunk, along with the amps.

So if I understand correctly....I should be able to do the following.....

1. Mount Headunit and steering control.
2. Run RCAs (Line out & Sub output) from HU back to amps in trunk.
3. Run XM signal cable back to trunk.
4. Install speakers in doors...noting wire color coding.
5. Disco speaker wiring from factory amp and run to new installed amp.
6. Connect XM wiring to XM tuner control.
7. Run new power cables to battery for amps.

I will run RCAs on passenger side and run Power cables on driver's side, to keep noise to a minimum.

Are there any documentation available...service manual, wiring manual, etc?

Am I on the right track?

Thanks...
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/2002/

There's a link to all of the FSM for your car. Everything else seems pretty spot on. If you have a Bose system then there are two amps. One under the rear deck that runs all of your door speakers and tweeters. A second amp is built into the subwoofer itself (although you can ignore the sub, it receives everything from the main amp). Also, when installing my Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH I put the XM tuner in the dash. I found the clock in the center of the dash is the perfect place to hide the XM antenna. I have both my XM and Nav antenna on top of the clock under that cover and they work fine (aside from XM cutting out every once in awhile when I go under a bridge).
Old 01-13-2013, 03:53 PM

yep, everything posted sounds good, i ran a new remote wire for the amps from the head unit, i didnt note which one turned on/off the factory amp so i just used a new wire ran with my RCA cables. i ran everything on the drivers side, it was a tight fit with 4 gauge power wire, but it did work fine, no signal noise that i can tell.

matthew
Old 01-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I would like to thank everyone for all the information you have provided. Especially the FSM links. That was just what I was looking for.

As to the Power cables and the RCAs cables. I have always been under the impression that they should be ran on opposite sides of the vehicle for noise reduction. As to the floating ground, if it appears....One can ground the RCA connection at the Headunit to the ground of the Headunit.

Now to just hope for some warm weather to start and complete the project.

Thanks again...