Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Best Speakers for the money

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 12:55 PM

Best Speakers for the money

Could anyone suggest the best sounding speakers for my non-Bose 5th gen and where to buy for the best price?

My headunit is 180-watt Clarion ADX 5655z. As of now, I don't plan to drive speakers with an amp, but would like my new speakers to withstand more power should I choose to drive them through amp. I plan on spending under $100/pair...also interested in a pair of tweeters, since my 2000 GXE came with basic setup w/o tweets.

I was about to roll to local Best Buy, but have a feeling it is possible to save money by buying elsewhere.
Old 01-19-2002, 02:09 PM
Neice Anne

Re: Best Speakers for the money

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
Could anyone suggest the best sounding speakers for my non-Bose 5th gen and where to buy for the best price?

My headunit is 180-watt Clarion ADX 5655z. As of now, I don't plan to drive speakers with an amp, but would like my new speakers to withstand more power should I choose to drive them through amp. I plan on spending under $100/pair...also interested in a pair of tweeters, since my 2000 GXE came with basic setup w/o tweets.

I was about to roll to local Best Buy, but have a feeling it is possible to save money by buying elsewhere.

Diamond Audio 6 1/4 components get the best ratings as far as SQ on most speaker review websites... also Focal, Boston, Infinity Perfect speaker sets are awesome, it depends on your budget.. get em on EBAY for sure if you want the best price you can possible get.. and just a note for you, don't worry too much about power handling, as long as it's above like 100 watts, and deck watts don't mean much, your deck won't really be sending 180 watts to the speakers, prolly around 33-50% of that... amp power is a different story..

Old 01-19-2002, 09:16 PM

Re: Re: Best Speakers for the money

Originally posted by Neice Anne

Diamond Audio 6 1/4 components get the best ratings as far as SQ on most speaker review websites... also Focal, Boston, Infinity Perfect speaker sets are awesome, it depends on your budget.. get em on EBAY for sure if you want the best price you can possible get.. and just a note for you, don't worry too much about power handling, as long as it's above like 100 watts, and deck watts don't mean much, your deck won't really be sending 180 watts to the speakers, prolly around 33-50% of that... amp power is a different story..
Diamond really needs an amp. Most head units put out 5-12 watts x4.
Also my non bose came with tweets, you sure you don't have them? But I think you should decide to get an amp or not get an amp first. That will better help pick speakers.
Old 01-19-2002, 11:14 PM

if you are planning on spending 100 dollars a pair.. try ebay for some clarion component for the front... and some 6 1/2, 6 3/4 for the back. The compnet set will give you the tweeter and the mid bass. don't worry about over powering the speakers.. most of the speakers nowaday can handle 100 watt easy.
Old 01-20-2002, 07:16 AM

yes, my 2k GXE came with am/fm/tape and 4-speaker setup, I dont have any tweets. I do not want to have a competition-type system, just something nice for myself. As of today, I don't see myself throwing add'l $$ towards and amp, think that my headunit is powerful enough to run these 4 speakers.

Guys, you listed some of the models I should look for. Can you please also list model numbers, and prices you'd consider good deals on those. I need smthg to compare against. Best Buy stores do not stock a s**t. May try E-bay.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:12 AM

yes, my 2k GXE came with am/fm/tape and 4-speaker setup, I dont have any tweets. I do not want to have a competition-type system, just something nice for myself. As of today, I don't see myself throwing add'l $$ towards and amp, think that my headunit is powerful enough to run these 4 speakers.

Guys, you listed some of the models I should look for. Can you please also list model numbers, and prices you'd consider good deals on those. I need smthg to compare against. Best Buy stores do not stock a s**t. May try E-bay.

Probbably the best speakers for the money are the New Infinity Kappa series speakers. I beleive the 2k max has 6.75" speakers so you can get the Infnity Kappa 6.75" 652.3i You can get them for $149.95 in crutchfield or i think its like $80.00 on e-bay. But those are only 2 way speakers they hold 2-75 watts RMS and 225 peak. Then there is the 3-way Infnity Kappa 63.3i speakers there $200.00 in the crutchfield or $105.00 on e-bay. They hold the same wattage as the other speakers. Definetly if you have the money buy a simple 2-way amp with like 100 watts x 2 and or a 4 way amp with like 100watts x 4 and its a significant difference. i have the panasonci mxeCq-Dfx701u Head unit with 200 watts max, ( 25 watts x4 RMS and 50 watts x 4 Peak) and they sound awesome but hooked up to an amp they sound Perfect. You can really notice a difference especially if you are goin to add subs in the long run.
Old 01-20-2002, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by Pr1dmx88
Probbably the best speakers for the money are the New Infinity Kappa series speakers. I beleive the 2k max has 6.75" speakers so you can get the Infnity Kappa 6.75" 652.3i You can get them for $149.95 in crutchfield or i think its like $80.00 on e-bay. But those are only 2 way speakers they hold 2-75 watts RMS and 225 peak. Then there is the 3-way Infnity Kappa 63.3i speakers there $200.00 in the crutchfield or $105.00 on e-bay.
this is very helpful to me, thanks. I'd love to be able to add an amp to speakers some day, but the install is too costly, I couldn't do it myself. Have to run wires to every door, f*** that...
Old 01-20-2002, 12:18 PM

I wasn't trying to put together a comp system if I was you'd see 1000 buck peices But anyway. I think you should look into getting an amp it does not just make it louder like most think...it brings a more definitive sound in most cases. But if your not going to get one try looking into eclipse point sources. They work well with little power and could take a baby amp if at some point you want one. Your headunit i will promise you is not putting out more than 5-12 watts.
Old 01-20-2002, 01:09 PM

My headunit is rated at 45x per channel, guess thats' peak. Putting in an amp to run 4 speakers will cost me another 300 bucks for amp and labor, I dont want to spend that..But thanks for recommending the Eclipse brand.
Old 01-20-2002, 01:14 PM

My headunit is rated at 45x per channel, guess thats' peak. Putting in an amp to run 4 speakers will cost me another 300 bucks for amp and labor, I dont want to spend that..But thanks for recommending the Eclipse brand.
Most head units are rated at 30-50 watts a channel. It's not true. Most like I said are 5-12. I just want to make sure you understand your not getting alot of power.
Old 01-20-2002, 06:25 PM

I got my clarion pro off the ebay for about 55 bucks shipped... really nice peice,(component), just go to ebay and type in clarion pro...