Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Advice Needed On Audio Components/Set-Up

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 02:14 PM

Advice Needed On Audio Components/Set-Up

I have an 03' Maxima. I am going to install a new audio system this spring. I currently have the Bose package system in the car w/ a pioneer double din HU. I was thinking about going with these speaker/amp/sub combination:

AMP- Alpine PDX-V9 5-Channel 1600W Class-D Amplifier

SPEAKERS- Front: Alpine SPR-60C 6-1/2" Component 2-Way Speaker System
Back: Alpine SPR-60 6-1/2" Coaxial Speaker System

SUB- Alpine SWR-12D2 12" Subwoofer
(Gonna go with this amp based on the recommendation) Alpine SWR-12D4 Type-R 12" subwoofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils

Here are a couple of the questions i have:

Is this a good combo? Is anybody else running this set-up?
For the sub, should i get a 2 ohm or 4 ohm? 4 ohm
Should i get a 12" or a 10". (I am not going for loudness, i am trying to achieve quality audio) 12" Dual 4 ohm Voice Coil Sub
What's the best type of box for the sub? Closed/Sealed
Any good tips on the install?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by The Duke of NY; 03-10-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:29 PM
KH3 by popular demand

For sound quality you can do 2 10s or 1 12 in a sealed box. Since the subchannel is around 500 rms, get 2 single 4 ohm voice coil 10s or 1 dual 4 ohm voice coil 12.

Only get 1 component set for the front, and save your money by just running a regular coaxial on the rears. You want more detail in the front.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:14 PM

Great advive. Thanks for the help. Going to go with the Alpine SWR-12D4 Type-R 12" subwoofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils. I would rather have the one 12" instead of 2 10"s.

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
For sound quality you can do 2 10s or 1 12 in a sealed box. Since the subchannel is around 500 rms, get 2 single 4 ohm voice coil 10s or 1 dual 4 ohm voice coil 12.

Only get 1 component set for the front, and save your money by just running a regular coaxial on the rears. You want more detail in the front.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:29 AM

I like your equipment choices. The Type-R series is great for the money.
I agree with all the statements made so far, and can't really add anything.

I would go with a sealed box. You have better clarity, and it will be plenty loud for that setup.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:47 AM

Good to have a confirmation from another member! I have a box that was housing a RF sub. I will take a picture of it & post to see if it is suitable for use.

Originally Posted by MaximaDrvr
I like your equipment choices. The Type-R series is great for the money.
I agree with all the statements made so far, and can't really add anything.

I would go with a sealed box. You have better clarity, and it will be plenty loud for that setup.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:16 AM

The nice thing about that amp is the fact that it produces the same power whether wired at 2ohms or 4 ohms. Just make sure the sub(s) are wired at 2ohms or 4 ohms. Here is a subwoofer wiring diagram.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0fc8KSW...rs_wiring.html
Old 04-02-2014, 11:53 AM
Suspension Yoda

Who's doing the install?
Old 04-10-2014, 08:43 AM

I have a similar set up in my 03.

Alpine Type R components up front, Type R coax in the rear doors and a Type
R 12" in the trunk. Wow! 1000 times better than stock.

I have a couple of differences - MRP-F250 4 ch amp and a MRP-M450 mono amp. The five channel amp you have sounds like it would be a much nicer and cleaner install.

Also after a whole bunch of sub configurations I ended up with a ported box.
Sealed will be cleaner and I love clean but for me I found I was still yearning for more lower end so I made the switch to the ported.

Good luck with the install. You will love the results. Oh ya by the way the install is a b$tch so be patient and read up if you are doing it yourself.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by ateick
Good luck with the install. You will love the results. Oh ya by the way the install is a b$tch so be patient and read up if you are doing it yourself.
The OP is local to me but for some reason doesn't want me doing the install. Go figure.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by The Duke of NY
Any good tips on the install?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Hey Duke. Are you handy/experienced at this type of stuff? The only reason I ask is because changing out the BOSE involves basically rewiring the entire car. The BOSE system works off its own amp and the so the wiring is not traditional stuff. If you have time, patience and a knack for this stuff enjoy but if not save yourself a lot of hassle and have it professionally done.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the diagram. Im going to be using the 4ohm.

Originally Posted by mjhuffer
The nice thing about that amp is the fact that it produces the same power whether wired at 2ohms or 4 ohms. Just make sure the sub(s) are wired at 2ohms or 4 ohms. Here is a subwoofer wiring diagram.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0fc8KSW...rs_wiring.html
Old 04-10-2014, 10:28 AM

I'm reading up on everything now. I have a good deal of knowledge on wiring & setting up all types of audio equipment, mostly studio & home audio.Trying to do all the research to see if this will be similar in skills & techniques. If it looks to be too difficult, i guess i will be hitting up DJFreestyle! appreciate the tips!

I have a similar set up in my 03.

Alpine Type R components up front, Type R coax in the rear doors and a Type
R 12" in the trunk. Wow! 1000 times better than stock.

I have a couple of differences - MRP-F250 4 ch amp and a MRP-M450 mono amp. The five channel amp you have sounds like it would be a much nicer and cleaner install.

Also after a whole bunch of sub configurations I ended up with a ported box.
Sealed will be cleaner and I love clean but for me I found I was still yearning for more lower end so I made the switch to the ported.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:30 AM

I'm going to attempt this job. If it seems to be too much of a hassle, i guess you will be getting a phone call!

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Who's doing the install?
Old 04-10-2014, 11:00 AM
Suspension Yoda

Sounds good, but if you mess things up and I have to redo it, I charge double

Old 04-10-2014, 02:16 PM

I swapped out my Bose system over the winter. Make sure you get an EQ with your system. BIG DIFFERENCE
Old 04-10-2014, 02:42 PM

What model EQ and what did it do for you?
Old 04-13-2014, 12:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

For your speakers I would highly suggest finding a local Hybrid Audio Technologies dealer and go demo any of their series. I'm a dealer for both Alpine and Hybrid... the Alpine's are a joke compared to the Hybrid Audio gear. I'm sure your local Hybrid dealer will be as enthusiastic about them as I am. Their Imagine series(stage 2) are what I would consider the best performance vs. price.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would say to listen to as many different speakers as you can. Then let your ears help you decide.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:30 PM

What model EQ and what did it do for you?
I bought a earthquake 7000 PXI EQ and it absolutely cleaned up my sound. For example, I have infiniti components in the front and the tweeters were ear piercing! The EQ allowed me to make the proper adjustments W/O going back & forth with the Xover. I listen to different music so I need different frequencies to stand out and I can adjust on the fly. As far I'm concerned, best $60 I've invested.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:37 PM

So Duke, how's your setup coming along?
Old 04-19-2014, 07:06 PM

Never heard of Hybrid Audio before. I will see if i can find a place to sample the audio this week. I am buying the set-up no later than Friday. Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by Broadfield
For your speakers I would highly suggest finding a local Hybrid Audio Technologies dealer and go demo any of their series. I'm a dealer for both Alpine and Hybrid... the Alpine's are a joke compared to the Hybrid Audio gear. I'm sure your local Hybrid dealer will be as enthusiastic about them as I am. Their Imagine series(stage 2) are what I would consider the best performance vs. price.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:08 PM

Purchasing everything this week. All i have to do is get a good box for the woofer. I have one that ws housing a RF 12". I will post pics so you guys can tell me your thoughts on it or if i should build a new one.

Originally Posted by Binfamous
So Duke, how's your setup coming along?
Old 04-23-2014, 09:33 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

In for the updates.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:21 PM

Don't go alpine if u really want something clear. For the components you can do image dynamics, infinity perfect , or just Google and get some reviews. Alpine isn't that good to put on a amp.

Rears just do coax . You can do 6.5 on the doors. Again wouldn't do alpine. Just search if ur not in a rush. Or you can cut 6x9 by the rear window if u really want it to be louder.

For the sub an l7 or l5 kicker will give good clean base. So will a w3 Jbl.

If u really want it to sound crisp, go active on the components. That means there's no external crossover. Ul have each tweeter and each speaker on its own channel. That way ul really be able to tune it nice and Itl sound much better. But ul need 6 channels for the interiors. That's 2 amps. If u go that route and all speakers on the doors u can also get a 8 inch mid to replace the stock woofer and amp that up too.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by maximasicilian123
Don't go alpine if u really want something clear. For the components you can do image dynamics, infinity perfect , or just Google and get some reviews. Alpine isn't that good to put on a amp.

Rears just do coax . You can do 6.5 on the doors. Again wouldn't do alpine. Just search if ur not in a rush. Or you can cut 6x9 by the rear window if u really want it to be louder.

If u really want it to sound crisp, go active on the components. That means there's no external crossover. Ul have each tweeter and each speaker on its own channel. That way ul really be able to tune it nice and Itl sound much better. But ul need 6 channels for the interiors. That's 2 amps. If u go that route and all speakers on the doors u can also get a 8 inch mid to replace the stock woofer and amp that up too.
Wow, my brain hurts now.

"Don't go Alpine" but then you suggested others that are right on par with Alpines offerings. Please humor me and tell me, specifically, what makes your other selections more credible or 'better'. Also, what exactly is "not good to put on an amp" ? Any speaker can be amplified, so I fail to see your logic here.

Coax, if rears are a must, fine. Although rears are a waste of time, space and money. But, again, why not Alpine ? Cut 6X9s ?

Kicker L7 and L5 give 'good clean base' (BTW, the word you are looking for is basS) ?? Since when ?? Have you actually ever heard good subwoofers ? JBL has no such woofer as a w3, that would be JL.

The guy is looking for advice and you encourage a self install set actively ? Sure, more flexibility and Definitely a sure fire way to fry some speakers when one does not know how to properly tune. Further .. It is only 6 channels IF rear speakers are used AND also ran active. Finally, that is Not necessarily 2 amplifiers, there are 6 channel amplifiers too ! or it could even be three 2 channel amps, or six mono amps. You can only use an 8 if it is an active setup ? ****, I must be doing everything wrong here !
Old 04-24-2014, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max

Wow, my brain hurts now.

"Don't go Alpine" but then you suggested others that are right on par with Alpines offerings. Please humor me and tell me, specifically, what makes your other selections more credible or 'better'. Also, what exactly is "not good to put on an amp" ? Any speaker can be amplified, so I fail to see your logic here.

Coax, if rears are a must, fine. Although rears are a waste of time, space and money. But, again, why not Alpine ? Cut 6X9s ?

Kicker L7 and L5 give 'good clean base' (BTW, the word you are looking for is basS) ?? Since when ?? Have you actually ever heard good subwoofers ? JBL has no such woofer as a w3, that would be JL.

The guy is looking for advice and you encourage a self install set actively ? Sure, more flexibility and Definitely a sure fire way to fry some speakers when one does not know how to properly tune. Further .. It is only 6 channels IF rear speakers are used AND also ran active. Finally, that is Not necessarily 2 amplifiers, there are 6 channel amplifiers too ! or it could even be three 2 channel amps, or six mono amps. You can only use an 8 if it is an active setup ? ****, I must be doing everything wrong here !

I don't see what's confusing. Let's clear it up. Alpine is garbage. Image dynamics components are much better and clean sound. Infinity perfect are also really good and clean. Kicker is a clean deep bass. 6.5 on the rear doors are stock but you really won't hear them.......6x9s cut in the back will make it much louder... if you don't wanna do 6x9 ,a 8 inch mid driver is a good option in place of the stock sub. Going active might be confusing to u, but by the way u got so easily confused with what i said don't say much. Whatever way u wanna power it up. I'm glad u can add to 6 more then one way. That's definitely something to go outta ur way to show. Whatever way ur clever mind comes up with. Mine automatically thought 2 4channel amps and 1 for the sub. Is that really that hard to understand? Cause that's really the most basic way to get the most out of what he has to work with without getting to crazy. He did ask for options. This is an option.

Last edited by maximasicilian123; 04-24-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:32 PM

Apparently the confusing part is where you cannot accurately answer the questions. Let me try again ..

What makes them 'better' specifically. Do you have something to quantify this OPINION ?
Why are they not good to "put on an amp" ?

What exactly are you comparing to with all this 'clean sound' commenting ? Stock ? What is your reference ?

6X9s .. Yea, that is a good way to steer someone wrong. Where, ever, have Oval speakers been used in any Real environment ? Please, take your time ..

Going active with multiple amps is "really the most basic way to get the most out of what he has to work with without getting to crazy" ?? Seriously ? So, your telling me a passive 2 way and a single amp is Not more basic ? Can't perform well ? And you're trying to clear things up for me ? Oh boy ..

For the record, I am Not a fan of Alpine. However, I am also not a fan of your other, limited, selections either.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:44 PM

Apparently the confusing part is where you cannot accurately answer the questions. Let me try again ..

What makes them 'better' specifically. Do you have something to quantify this OPINION ?
Why are they not good to "put on an amp" ?

What exactly are you comparing to with all this 'clean sound' commenting ? Stock ? What is your reference ?

6X9s .. Yea, that is a good way to steer someone wrong. Where, ever, have Oval speakers been used in any Real environment ? Please, take your time ..

Going active with multiple amps is "really the most basic way to get the most out of what he has to work with without getting to crazy" ?? Seriously ? So, your telling me a passive 2 way and a single amp is Not more basic ? Can't perform well ? And you're trying to clear things up for me ? Oh boy ..

For the record, I am Not a fan of Alpine. However, I am also not a fan of your other, limited, selections either.
Is this forum really full of retards? He asked for an opinion. Who gives a fk wat ur a fan of? U came on here to argue? From a lot of these videos I see on YouTube with maxima owners. I can just imagine what a nerd u look like. How did you even reply with in a minute ? Just from what I picture you looking like, and the fact that u wanna argue online instead of stating ur option shows what u do with your time, its even pathetic of me even answering you.

Last edited by maximasicilian123; 04-24-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:11 PM

Is this forum really full of retards? He asked for an opinion. Who gives a fk wat ur a fan of? U came on here to argue? From a lot of these videos I see on YouTube with maxima owners. I can just imagine what nerd u look like. How did you even reply with in a minute ? Just from what I picture you looking like, and the fact that u wanna argue online instead of stating ur option shows what u do with your time, its even pathetic of me even answering you.
Don't insult the OG's.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:31 AM

Is this forum really full of retards? He asked for an opinion. Who gives a fk wat ur a fan of? U came on here to argue? From a lot of these videos I see on YouTube with maxima owners. I can just imagine what a nerd u look like. How did you even reply with in a minute ? Just from what I picture you looking like, and the fact that u wanna argue online instead of stating ur option shows what u do with your time, its even pathetic of me even answering you.
What is pathetic is that you have no credible facts to back your claims and you cannot answer, nor comprehend simple questions.

I can give a rats a$$ what you picture. Although you did just insult an entire forum of Maxima owners (one of which I am Not). So keep up your attitude here and I promise it will be very short lived.

Don't bother responding, it is clear you don't have a clue what the hell you;re talking about and it will likely only end up getting your dismissed.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:06 AM

Wow. So today I learned:

1. that the Alpine system I have in my car (which I love by the way - who wouldn't when you're comparing to stock) is sh#t.
2. that because I'm on this forum I'm likely retarded.
3. that because I'm a Maxima owner I likely look like a nerd.
4. that maximasicilian123 seems to be very defensive and have a chip on his shoulder whenever anyone asks him to substantiate his claims.

Next time you pose a question that I have an answer to I'll be sure to ignore it and go sit in my car and wish I had cut 6x9's into my back deck.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:00 AM
Suspension Yoda

Oh man I missed lots of fun in here last night!

One thing I'm certain of, is that we all look like these people:
https://www.google.com/search?site=&...61.MB_bRKblMpg

Btw ateick - you owe me a PM reply, sir

Last edited by djfrestyl; 04-25-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:08 AM

Yeah it's surprising the new kid has lasted this long.
Mods have given him a lot of chances.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:37 AM

What is pathetic is that you have no credible facts to back your claims and you cannot answer, nor comprehend simple questions.

Don't bother responding, it is clear you don't have a clue what the hell you;re talking about and it will likely only end up getting your dismissed.

Totally agree Don. This guy is just spouting diarrhea of the mouth & not answering any questions, or providing anything useful to the thread.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:09 PM

I have 2 8" L7 kickers in my 2000 max and 1 10" ref audio in my 2002. Ref audio is killing the L7's. At the end of the it's all about YOUR preference. This forum was about the Duke asking for advice so let's not get away from that. But I will say that 6x9's is not a good look. Just my opinion and not being disrespectful .
Old 04-27-2014, 09:30 PM

dafuq did i just read?
Old 04-27-2014, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by friendhasmax
dafuq did i just read?
Exactly...
Old 05-05-2014, 09:04 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Who had the popcorn?
Old 05-11-2014, 02:15 PM

You & me both! I feel like a judge reading a transcript in a trial going through those messages!

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Oh man I missed lots of fun in here last night!

One thing I'm certain of, is that we all look like these people:
https://www.google.com/search?site=&...61.MB_bRKblMpg

Btw ateick - you owe me a PM reply, sir
Old 05-11-2014, 02:18 PM

All speakers & amp have been purchased. Should be arriving this week. Everything came out to $750 (front & rear speakers, 12" sub & amp). Bought the alpines listed in d in the original post. Got to post a pic of the box I have to see what are your guys thoughts.

Quick Reply: Advice Needed On Audio Components/Set-Up