Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Install of LEDS cause Electrical/light problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 06:08 PM

Install of LEDS cause Electrical/light problems

After attempting to install led light in dome light, my trunk light stopped working... Me being careless about that specific light, I continued to put blue led bulbs in all four of my side markers and this caused the following problems:
Keyless Remote doesn't work.
Dome light doesn't work unless key is in and doors are closed.
Trunk light still inactive.
I can't even use the lock/unlock button unless the key is in "on".

Now i figured that it must be too much energy from the led lights? Is there a way i can keep the lights and fix these issues?
Old 09-08-2014, 06:11 PM

You shorted something and blew a fuse
Old 09-08-2014, 09:16 PM

Did you remove the negative cable from your battery before doing electrical work? Were they plug n play?
Old 09-09-2014, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by The_Fixer
You shorted something and blew a fuse
Sheesh, I'll go ahead and replace the fuse..
Originally Posted by bumpypickle
Did you remove the negative cable from your battery before doing electrical work? Were they plug n play?
No, I didn't even think to remove the negative battery.. and yes they were plug and play
Old 09-09-2014, 04:13 AM

you know just because they claim plug and play dont mean they are.Let me give you some free learning,incandesent bulbs have a different resistance then a LED second a LED bulb draw less current have lower voltage requirements and act differently in each of your situations.so what this means is your car is not seeing the correct load on lighting system due to them being LED's so its acting weird and i bet you have ebay etc. leds dont you and that makes it worse.look up a member here named Amerikanner he is a led expert and may be able to point you in the right direction.I could but you used blue leds in your side markers and thats just a HUGE NO NO in my book.So good luck and listen to what the people here tell you as we have been thru the issues before and know how to fix them.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by The_Fixer
you know just because they claim plug and play dont mean they are.Let me give you some free learning,incandesent bulbs have a different resistance then a LED second a LED bulb draw less current have lower voltage requirements and act differently in each of your situations.so what this means is your car is not seeing the correct load on lighting system due to them being LED's so its acting weird and i bet you have ebay etc. leds dont you and that makes it worse.look up a member here named Amerikanner he is a led expert and may be able to point you in the right direction.I could but you used blue leds in your side markers and thats just a HUGE NO NO in my book.So good luck and listen to what the people here tell you as we have been thru the issues before and know how to fix them.
Thanks alot mate. Read your first post and that fixed the problem, it was a lamp fuse under the dash. When you say issues, it wouldn't be so bad that a replacement of a fuse couldn't fix it would it? Thanks again
Old 09-09-2014, 12:23 PM

Like being arrested for having blue lights on your vehicle? We can't fix that.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:12 PM

For blue side markers?
Old 09-09-2014, 06:50 PM

As far as I know, every state in the south east has laws making illegal for any blue lights on a vehicle. I don't know where you are, but generally blue lights on a vehicle just make you a dbag...
Old 09-09-2014, 07:33 PM

Just to add to that here in Canada they're illigal too. It's o.k for your interior but in your marker lights etc. is a no no. Only emergency response vehicles can have blue lights. Police, Ambulance etc. A bluish tint to your HID headlights is one thing but putting LED blue lights anywhere on the exterior of the vehicle. Not good. That's just asking to get pulled over.