Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Upgrading Stereo(Have Bose)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 04:29 PM

Upgrading Stereo(Have Bose)

Ok, I tried searching for an answer but didn't really find out what I wanted, just got a little more confused. OK. I want to upgrade my stereo system. I currently have the factory Bose system. At first I just wanted to add a rio car mp3 player, but apparently I can't connect it to the bose. Is it possible to connect the rio car player to an external amp, and have it work with the factory stuff? I know I need adapters and all sorts of things, but not exactly sure on everything.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:42 PM

Well, the best way to do it is rip out all the factory stuff, but you probably don't want to do that. You can buy a new headunit and they sell adapters for about $50-60 that will let you hook it up directly to the bose system. I think crutchfield might actyally have the best deal on them (even if you don't order a stereo from them)
Old 01-24-2002, 06:05 PM

Via but I wanted to avoid doing that. I just want a Rio Car player! heh. But is that the only way?
Old 01-25-2002, 12:34 PM

Re: Upgrading Stereo(Have Bose)

I recently undertook this venture as well. Right now I have implemented a bandaid approach. I spliced into the my existing cd changer wiring and patched the RioCar input into the bose hu.

In order for this to work I have to have the cd changer operating. I am fairly confident that it is possble to trick the bose head unit into thinking there is a changer present--I need more time and a better current tester in order to do so.

Originally posted by 98BlaximaSE
Ok, I tried searching for an answer but didn't really find out what I wanted, just got a little more confused. OK. I want to upgrade my stereo system. I currently have the factory Bose system. At first I just wanted to add a rio car mp3 player, but apparently I can't connect it to the bose. Is it possible to connect the rio car player to an external amp, and have it work with the factory stuff? I know I need adapters and all sorts of things, but not exactly sure on everything.
Old 01-25-2002, 12:48 PM

Wait. You have a cd changer or you don't? I don't have one, but its pre-wired for a changer right? I don't want to have it in my trunk though.
Old 01-25-2002, 01:28 PM

Yes, I DO have a changer and I DO have a RioCar. Yes, the bose has inputs for a changer--but, the car is not pre-wired (the wiring for the changer comes with the changer). There is also an input for the car phone. I have no idea what the pinout for the car phone is(my 99sel phone input does not look like the diagram posted in the phone mute thread).

However, the bad is that changer has to be running to get the bose to recieve and play left and right channel input (patched through the changer cable). In its current state, I can not listen to the changer, but can listen to the Riocar. I am planning to do more

As I said before, I think that it is possible to trick the bose hu into thinking a changer whereby turning on the left and right channel input. The bose actually mutes the left and right inputs when it thinks no cd is present or if the cd does not have a track.

Also, I tried hooking the L&R inputs into the AUX of the riocar and its voltage (gain) is too much. Apparently the riocar accepts 1v for the aux, but puts-out 4v to the front and rear channels. The quality of the cd changer when routed through the riocar sucks. I just unhooked it because I ran out of time.

I too, have search high and low for an answer (or at least a work around) for this. I am totally shocked that no one has the wireing diagram for the bose (like I said earlier, my 99SEL does not match the diagram listed in the phone mute thread).

Wait. You have a cd changer or you don't? I don't have one, but its pre-wired for a changer right? I don't want to have it in my trunk though.
Old 01-25-2002, 02:59 PM

This seems too much of a hassle just to add something. I guess I'll just have to upgrade the head unit. I can get a good one for like $300-$500 right?
Old 01-25-2002, 03:10 PM

Shouldn't be too difficult to get a decent HU iunstalled for that much. Another route--Egay, has tuners for he rio listed. Also, I picked up the cd changer for $135 on egay.

BTW: Riocar is awesome. However, once I loaded it up with songs and had a chance to use it, it has had a couple of lockups and did not repond. I read in another thread that other people have had problems with the riocar.

Having said that, the changer is definately the easiest and cheapest way to go at ~$135+ship. FYI: The sherwood changer did play burnt cds.

This seems too much of a hassle just to add something. I guess I'll just have to upgrade the head unit. I can get a good one for like $300-$500 right?
Old 01-25-2002, 03:15 PM

I'm guess its not to hard to change the head unit, so I should probably be able to do it myself. Have you had any other problems with the rio, cause I'm just about to get one. 60 gig should last for about forever.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:27 PM

No fatal problems. Literally, 3 lockups in three days. The lockups always occured with use of the remote. I am limited on my knowledge of linux (I read somewhere it uses linux OS). I'm going to delete some songs to give the HU some extra room and see if it ever locks up.

First thing I did was to update the system to the latest beta version of the software. Users recommend updating immediately to the latest NON-beta release before use.

Search the forum for a thread on how to remove the dash. It is invaluable. Also, be sure to bring some old towels or blankets down to your car so that you don't scratch your console or ebrake when figuring out how to release the triggers on the wiring harness.

I know, BestBuy sells the wiring harness and Circuit City carries the diversity antenna adapter.

Good luck.

I'm guess its not to hard to change the head unit, so I should probably be able to do it myself. Have you had any other problems with the rio, cause I'm just about to get one. 60 gig should last for about forever.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:29 PM

Well thats good. So i guess its just he firmware that causes the lockup. Usually Linux is like the most stable OS. But maybe since it was just beta.
Old 01-26-2002, 08:44 AM

If you figure out how to get the Bose to think a changer is connected w/o actually having one, I'd like to know. I bout an aftermarket Sony MD changer, and right now, I have to listen to it through an FM station. I don't have the CD changer, the factory service manual doesn't mention it at all, so I don't have a way of figureing out how to trick the Bose.

It would be great to be able to run the audio for my MD changer through the CD changer input...

Originally posted by Zealous
Yes, I DO have a changer and I DO have a RioCar. Yes, the bose has inputs for a changer--but, the car is not pre-wired (the wiring for the changer comes with the changer). There is also an input for the car phone. I have no idea what the pinout for the car phone is(my 99sel phone input does not look like the diagram posted in the phone mute thread).

However, the bad is that changer has to be running to get the bose to recieve and play left and right channel input (patched through the changer cable). In its current state, I can not listen to the changer, but can listen to the Riocar. I am planning to do more

As I said before, I think that it is possible to trick the bose hu into thinking a changer whereby turning on the left and right channel input. The bose actually mutes the left and right inputs when it thinks no cd is present or if the cd does not have a track.

Also, I tried hooking the L&R inputs into the AUX of the riocar and its voltage (gain) is too much. Apparently the riocar accepts 1v for the aux, but puts-out 4v to the front and rear channels. The quality of the cd changer when routed through the riocar sucks. I just unhooked it because I ran out of time.

I too, have search high and low for an answer (or at least a work around) for this. I am totally shocked that no one has the wireing diagram for the bose (like I said earlier, my 99SEL does not match the diagram listed in the phone mute thread).

Old 01-27-2002, 08:30 AM

Will do