Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Can someone FINISH this wire diagram....???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 09:23 AM

Can someone FINISH this wire diagram....???

ok i have 2 rockford fosgate punch hx2 12" subs comming in the mail today... i have a 1400 watt amp at 700watt x 2 RMS and 350 x 2 at 2 ohm but the subs r 4ohm....n e way i need some help on how to wire these up.... there should be a picture below. thanx guys in advance

BTW i posted the url and a tired to post an img but the img did not work when i clicked preview post so u will jsut have to go through the url...thanx again

http://customcompacts.homestead.com/tommyd.html

scroll down all the way when u get to the web page to see the diagram

Old 02-05-2002, 09:52 AM

I can help, but I need some more info on the amplifier. What impedance is the amplifier stable to when you bridge it. SO int he specs, it should say 1400Wx1 at 2 or 4 ohms. That's the info I truely need in order to get you the right wiring setup. Let me know.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by Dustyroads
I can help, but I need some more info on the amplifier. What impedance is the amplifier stable to when you bridge it. SO int he specs, it should say 1400Wx1 at 2 or 4 ohms. That's the info I truely need in order to get you the right wiring setup. Let me know.
thanx here is some info
max power 2ohm 700w x 2 ch
rms power 4ohm 350w x 2 ch

2 ohm stable 4 ohm bridged

thats all it tells me in the owners manual so if thats helps then i hope u cna use the info..

also my subs r 4 ohm
Old 02-05-2002, 03:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You have to run them 4-ohm stereo. There's no safe way to get the maximum power out of the amp with those subs.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:02 PM

Hmmmm....maybe I'm reading this wrong, but he said that the subs are 4 ohms, I'm assuming that means 4 ohms per voice coil. Since the sub is DVC, he can get a 2 ohm load out of the subs, the unfortunate thing is you can't bridge the amp. You would need some 2 ohm DVC's in order to get the correct loading. Essentially all you have to do is take one sub and wire it to one channel. Take both positive leads on the woofer and hook it up to the plus of one channel and repeat for the negative leads. Then repeat for the other woofer.

If you need more info, just let me know.
Old 02-06-2002, 04:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well, are they 4-ohm subs or 2-ohm subs? That makes a big difference.
Old 02-06-2002, 05:16 AM

He mentioned the fact that they are 4 ohm, but again I'm not sure if they are 4 ohm per coil or not. As you said it does make a big difference.
Old 02-06-2002, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by Dustyroads
Hmmmm....maybe I'm reading this wrong, but he said that the subs are 4 ohms, I'm assuming that means 4 ohms per voice coil. Since the sub is DVC, he can get a 2 ohm load out of the subs, the unfortunate thing is you can't bridge the amp. You would need some 2 ohm DVC's in order to get the correct loading. Essentially all you have to do is take one sub and wire it to one channel. Take both positive leads on the woofer and hook it up to the plus of one channel and repeat for the negative leads. Then repeat for the other woofer.

If you need more info, just let me know.

the sub says 4 ohm 1000 peak power on the back of the magnet...

here r the specs from rockford fosgate

Size 12 inch
Type Woofer
Voice coil Configuration - Dual
Material - Aluminum
Description -
3" 4-Layer
Cone Material Paper -
FIBERlock
Frame Material Frame - Cast
Material - Aluminum
Surround Material Rubber
Description -
Santoprene BART
Spider
Crossover
Specifications Power handling (RMS) - 500 Watts
Power handling (Peak) - 1000 Watts
Impedance - 4 Ohms
Sensitivity - 87
Vas (qFt) - 2.65
Fs - 29
Qts - .48
Xmax (mm) - 13.97
Dimensions Depth Bottom mount - 5.1875 in.
Cutout - 10.8125 in.
Displacement - 362.88 cu in.
Enclosure Sealed box -
Recommended volume (Cubic Feet) - 1.25
Recommended volume (Liters) - 35.40
Ported box -
Recommended volume (Cubic Feet) - 2.00
Recommended volume (Liters) - 56.64

THANK YOU
Old 02-09-2002, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by hockeyghst

the sub says 4 ohm 1000 peak power on the back of the magnet...

here r the specs from rockford fosgate

Size 12 inch
Type Woofer
Voice coil Configuration - Dual
Material - Aluminum
Description -
3" 4-Layer
Cone Material Paper -
FIBERlock
Frame Material Frame - Cast
Material - Aluminum
Surround Material Rubber
Description -
Santoprene BART
Spider
Crossover
Specifications Power handling (RMS) - 500 Watts
Power handling (Peak) - 1000 Watts
Impedance - 4 Ohms
Sensitivity - 87
Vas (qFt) - 2.65
Fs - 29
Qts - .48
Xmax (mm) - 13.97
Dimensions Depth Bottom mount - 5.1875 in.
Cutout - 10.8125 in.
Displacement - 362.88 cu in.
Enclosure Sealed box -
Recommended volume (Cubic Feet) - 1.25
Recommended volume (Liters) - 35.40
Ported box -
Recommended volume (Cubic Feet) - 2.00
Recommended volume (Liters) - 56.64

THANK YOU
if u have an ohm meter...take it and measure each coil...will eliminate alot of guessing...and i think it's 4 ohm per coil...
Old 02-10-2002, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by Yellowbrother

if u have an ohm meter...take it and measure each coil...will eliminate alot of guessing...and i think it's 4 ohm per coil...
dont have an ohm meter....

this is how i wired them......
+ to + on the sub (that is how i wired the coils on the sub)
then i take one + and go to the amp and then i took the - and went to the amp
Old 02-10-2002, 02:50 PM
ABS

If I remember correctly, when you wire a DVC in series, you double the impedance. When you wire the DVC in paralell, you half the impedance.

It sounds as though you currently have the DVC in each driver wired in parallel so your overall impedance for that driver should be only 2 ohms - assuming that each coil on its own is 4 ohms.

Since you have two drivers, if you configure each the same way (parallel configuration for the DVC), and run each on its own channel from the amplifier, I think you will get maximum output since each driver's overall impedance will be only 2 ohms.

If you choose to run the amp in a "bridged" or "mono" mode, and wire the VC's on each driver in parallel, and wire the drivers relative to one another in series, then you will double the overall impedance of the sytem. This means that each driver will be 2 ohms overall, but then using series wiring between each driver will raise the overall impedance back to 4 ohms.

On the other hand, if you wire each DVC in parallel and then use parallel wiring for the drivers, you will half the impedance down to only 1 ohm. This could blow up your amp.

You could also wire each DVC in series, yielding a total driver impedance of 8 ohms, and then wire the drivers to one another in parallel which would half the impedance and yield a system impedance of only 4 ohms.

Anyhow you probably get the idea. Good luck!
Old 02-10-2002, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by ABS
If I remember correctly, when you wire a DVC in series, you double the impedance. When you wire the DVC in paralell, you half the impedance.

It sounds as though you currently have the DVC in each driver wired in parallel so your overall impedance for that driver should be only 2 ohms - assuming that each coil on its own is 4 ohms.

Since you have two drivers, if you configure each the same way (parallel configuration for the DVC), and run each on its own channel from the amplifier, I think you will get maximum output since each driver's overall impedance will be only 2 ohms.

If you choose to run the amp in a "bridged" or "mono" mode, and wire the VC's on each driver in parallel, and wire the drivers relative to one another in series, then you will double the overall impedance of the sytem. This means that each driver will be 2 ohms overall, but then using series wiring between each driver will raise the overall impedance back to 4 ohms.

On the other hand, if you wire each DVC in parallel and then use parallel wiring for the drivers, you will half the impedance down to only 1 ohm. This could blow up your amp.

You could also wire each DVC in series, yielding a total driver impedance of 8 ohms, and then wire the drivers to one another in parallel which would half the impedance and yield a system impedance of only 4 ohms.

Anyhow you probably get the idea. Good luck!
ok well i appreciate the information greatly.....but according to the above post that i "posted" i have my subs wired in series....then i am going to put each sub on its own channel....is this considered 8 ohm or 4 ohm or 2 ohm????
Old 02-10-2002, 09:52 PM

If they are in fact wired in series you will get an 8 Ohm load per sub. Powered by separate amplifier channels you will get 1/2 the power output from your amplifier to each subwoofer equalling 175Wrms x 2.

Sounds to em though from your description you've got the sub coild wired in parallel.

Check out Rockford's site they ahve a good wiring tutorial for your particular subs.
Old 02-11-2002, 06:45 PM
ABS

Originally posted by hockeyghst

ok well i appreciate the information greatly.....but according to the above post that i "posted" i have my subs wired in series....then i am going to put each sub on its own channel....is this considered 8 ohm or 4 ohm or 2 ohm????
If each voice coil is 4 ohms, and the two voice coils in each woofer are wired in series, then your total impedance for that driver/channel will be 8 ohms (it doubles in series). Since you describe your amp as being 2 ohm stable, you would be best off wiring the two voice coils in parallel and have the them operate at a combined impedance of only 2 ohms (it halves in parallel). I hope this clarifies things a bit.
Old 02-11-2002, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by ABS

If each voice coil is 4 ohms, and the two voice coils in each woofer are wired in series, then your total impedance for that driver/channel will be 8 ohms (it doubles in series). Since you describe your amp as being 2 ohm stable, you would be best off wiring the two voice coils in parallel and have the them operate at a combined impedance of only 2 ohms (it halves in parallel). I hope this clarifies things a bit.
yes it clarifies a lot...basically wire the subs in parallel not series thanx
Old 02-11-2002, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by ABS

i read another thread i had after i replied to ur post and some guy told me that my wiring was correct in series and ur telling me it is correct in parallel so im a bit confused........????????
Old 02-12-2002, 11:31 AM

The diagram in the other post is parallel. + to + to + is parallel (assumes - to - to -)

Series is + - + - + - and so on.
Old 02-12-2002, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by OgreDave
The diagram in the other post is parallel. + to + to + is parallel (assumes - to - to -)

Series is + - + - + - and so on.
i dont understnad what you mean????

according to my rockford fosgate booklet that diagram i posted was wired in series not parallel.............

i hate wiring subs!!!!!!