Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

IF U KNOW car audio, please step inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 09:57 AM
Sports Button FTW

IF U KNOW car audio, please step inside

I have checked high and low, i can't find what i'm looking for...right now, i'm at the break where i'm willing to spend some good dough just to get what I want, but no one sells it...I want1!!!

cd/equalizer double din combo

45X4 peak 22X4 steady
ATLEAST 7 band equalizer
ATLEAST 2 spectral analyzer or something wit descent or some visual
ATLEAST 6 presets fM

THAT'S IT, no cd changer or cassette, or these crazy stuff, remote and all, just these 5 things are ok...I don't care if it's discontinued, or THE NEWEST model, just wit these features....missing a lot of pieces so it shouldn't go for more than 350, or even 300 but if i have to spend that much to get what i want, then so be it...

If you guys have a site, one that you own or whatever, pleast let me know...i've checked all around the net and no one has these features...if it takes too long to find this, i may have to say forget it and just get a CAI....
Old 02-12-2002, 10:57 AM

Try looking or re posting this in the Audio/Electronics thread. If you do repost it there maybe just lock this one.

SuDZ
Old 02-12-2002, 11:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Here's some good news, these unit may have all you want plus some stuff;

http://www.kenwood.com.au/car2.asp?cid=24&gid=1

The bad news is that some, or all of those units ARE not available in the US.

DW
Old 02-12-2002, 11:40 AM

Re: IF U KNOW car audio, please step inside

Originally posted by meccanoble
I have checked high and low, i can't find what i'm looking for...right now, i'm at the break where i'm willing to spend some good dough just to get what I want, but no one sells it...I want1!!!

cd/equalizer double din combo

45X4 peak 22X4 steady
ATLEAST 7 band equalizer
ATLEAST 2 spectral analyzer or something wit descent or some visual
ATLEAST 6 presets fM

THAT'S IT, no cd changer or cassette, or these crazy stuff, remote and all, just these 5 things are ok...I don't care if it's discontinued, or THE NEWEST model, just wit these features....missing a lot of pieces so it shouldn't go for more than 350, or even 300 but if i have to spend that much to get what i want, then so be it...

If you guys have a site, one that you own or whatever, pleast let me know...i've checked all around the net and no one has these features...if it takes too long to find this, i may have to say forget it and just get a CAI....
Did you post this in the audio forum a few days ago? I saw something very similar. Anyway, as was stated in that forum; you can't just get stereo stuff ala carte. Just because you want some features and not others doesn't mean the price will reflect that. As stated above, there are units that do either more or less than what you want but are priced accordingly. You either (a) have to spend more or less than budgeted and live with that or (b) go with two individual units. As you probably already know, the latter is probably going to be the most flexible since in two individual units you can opt to go with more basic models of either thereby saving as much as possible. Personally, I have the second setup because I have used both types and prefer the sound and flexibility of two units but it's up to you. Aesthetically, only the real high end double din units can match the two single din ones, specially if they are matching pairs since most are made to complement each other. Just my 2 long cents again. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2002, 11:48 AM

Re: IF U KNOW car audio, please step inside

Well, to tell you the truth it's linda diff to find what you want in one, The only thing I know that all the competition cars, like mine try to find those things in seperate, to choose the best components out of many brands. For an EQ I would deffinetly suggest ARC audio, for the head unit Macintosh, Eclipse or Alpine. You need the amplifier also to run the speakers with the full, healthy power. Arc audio, Zapco and PPI are the best on the market. Now if you need the head units with all the stuff in there, lates series of Alpine, Sony and Pioneer make those decks with built in EQ, crossovers and even timings, but those run close to thousand bucks.
I have a friend who gets those things close to dealer prices, so let me know:
Mikesburn@hotmail.com
Old 02-12-2002, 01:18 PM
Sports Button FTW

woah woah woah!!! ARe you guys sick?! lol, i checked that site out and prices were in the thousand range, I'm not trying to make mine the best, no where near, just above average. I went on ebay and saw brand new pieces with a LITTLE more than i wanted for like 350 max which is pretty good...all these cross overs and stuff, I don't understand it, i just want to buy a face wit the above features that will work on my car...seeing bose is so complicated. Unless you guys are telling me that certain ones won't work, I'm screwed, but if most do, then i'm not trying to spend more than 320 on a head, IF THAT even. 350 max...suggestions on best heads? I like them together cause it shows a bigger screen, well, it just looks better to me...my friend has a JVC in his honda wit nice colors...paid like 300 and some change for it, so i dont' mind paying taht price or a little less for somewhat the same thing....suggestions?

OH, do u guys recommend me buying used HU? like if someone had it for 6 months and had a reasonable reason for selling it, should I go for it or just stick wit brand new products?
Old 02-12-2002, 03:58 PM

Well, the best suggestion is if you personaly like the radio your friend has, and it suites your needs, sure buy it, It doesn't really matter if it's used, as long as it in the nice shape. Even if it breakes down, it should have warranty, so it can be fixed easily by the mfg.
You can easily find nice deck for $280 which is Eclipse, but I don't think it has any EQ or anilizers, but it's pretty powerful chip and gives 2.7 volts and has VERY VERY nice plate (Colorful). Now the more expensive model, wich has the best face plate I've ever seen, it also has equlizers and display EQs and all you need will run close to 500 bucks which is pretty expensive. I'd stick with Eclipse anyways.

www.elipse-web.com
Old 02-12-2002, 04:28 PM

buy the PIONEER PREMIER 930 headunit...
i have one and its got all the fetaures you want in a single DIN
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...5,2241,00.html

I get them for $580 shipped!

Ant
Old 02-12-2002, 04:33 PM

I'm not sure about double-din, but alot of Sony's newer CD decks (starting around $180 or so I think) have 7-band equalizers built in, and since there's basicly no buttons on the face of the display, you have have it analyze the music to some extent. I forget the details, but I was looking at them a couple months ago.
Crutchfield has good details, but www.etronics.com has the best prices I could find on alot of stuff (on the order of $100-$150+ cheaper than crutchfield for some stuff)
Old 02-12-2002, 05:55 PM

Re: Re: IF U KNOW car audio, please step inside

Originally posted by Mikesburn
WellThe only thing I know that all the competition cars, like mine try to find those things in seperate, , so let me know:
Mikesburn@hotmail.com
What class are you in? And what zone?
Old 02-12-2002, 08:48 PM
Sports Button FTW

who said it was impossible

i found a Kenwood double din wit everything i wanted!

the Kenwood DPX 4010

only problem is that it's 329.99, well, that's the cheapest i've seen it, normally MF puts it for 500 to 600

but i want to get it for like 300 max, so if any of u find it cheaper on ebay or other sites, let me know...thanks

or if u find something similar, let me know
Old 02-13-2002, 12:02 AM

Re: Re: Re: IF U KNOW car audio, please step inside

Right now I'm in street competition class, still working on my honey. See, some guys sell decks you need, but they are again expensive, not what you've expected. Let me know if you find the one, Iwould be interested to look at it!!!
Old 02-13-2002, 09:43 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: IF U KNOW car audio, please step inside

Right now I'm in street competition class, still working on my honey. See, some guys sell decks you need, but they are again expensive, not what you've expected. Let me know if you find the one, Iwould be interested to look at it!!!
Novice, ama, or pro street? What zone? Where you out last year?
Old 02-13-2002, 10:29 AM
Sports Button FTW

Kenwood DPX 4010 (discontinued)

okay guys, here are the stats....

Audio Features

Maximum Power Output 45W x 4
2 Preouts (Rear/Non fading Switchable)
AUX Input for Additional Audio Source with Optional Unit
General Features

FL Dot Matrix Multicolour Wide Display
Flip Down Front Panel (Manual)
11 band 13-step Spectrum Analyser
Supplied with Remote Control Unit (Grip Type)
Adjustable Auto Dimmer (5 steps)
Single CD Features

CD-R/CD-RW Compatible
DNPS (10 Disc Name Presets)
Changer Control Features

CD Text ready with compatible CD Changers
DNPS (Disc Name Presets) with Compatible CD Changers
DNPP (Disc Name Preset Play) by remote
Dual CD Changer Control Capability
Tape Features

Full logic mechanism
Dolby-B NR
Metal Tape Selector
DPSS
Blank Skip/Repeat Play
Tuner Features

FM/AM 24 Station Presets (18FM, 6AM)
AME Automatic Memory Entry
SNPS (30 Station Name Presets)
Stereo Mono Selector
DSP/Spectrum Analyser Features

SFC (Stadium/Concert/Club Disc/Church/Listening Room/Bypass)
5 Preset Sound Control
11-Band 13-Step Spectrum Analyser
Dimensions Width 178mm, Height 100mm, Depth 155mm
Weight 2,700g

They are selling it on this site for 999.00 when the manufacturer are selling it for 500 to 600 bucks, and I have seen it on the net as low as 316 to 319 now, but i saw two different pictures of this face...this one i like better, but sometimes i see this one...

i like it better all black, not feeling that silver but it still looks hot...

TWO PROBLEMS or QUESTIONS

Through all my searches, or maybe i missed it, it doesn't say anything about crossovers and I DO plan to get an amp and subs....can i buy crossover wires or something? or am i just screwed to begin with?

also, it's brand new so it SHOULD come with a manufacturer warranty right? Then again it is discontinued so i REALLY doubt it...but some sites were selling 2 year warranties for 30 bucks....does this piece come with a warranty and whether it does or not, should i go with the EXTENDED warranty? is it really worth it????

AFter these questions are answered, i'm ready to purchase this bad boy...just need the adapters right?????
Old 02-13-2002, 11:51 AM

Re: Kenwood DPX 4010 (discontinued)

Hey!!
Seems to me like the perfect thing you need!!! It has pretty much all the stuff!! The most important piece in car audio is simple an Equlizer. Make sure this headunit has it built in!!!
What about the price?

Now, the only thing is the problem that it has only two sets of RCA, so if you connect you SUB, you cannot control your FADE, which in this case is not THAT important, but I think it worth buing it. Also it's Kenwood, which is pretty good brand for headunits.

If you buy it new, it should have at least one year warranty, if not 3 years. (1 year dealer war. 3 years mfg warranty).

Let us know what you think!!!

P.S. If it desn't have an EQ, I can get you the best EQ ever made it's name is ARC Audio. It has seven bands. Usually it runs like $450
But I can get it for around $270. That's what I have in my car
Old 02-13-2002, 12:01 PM
Sports Button FTW

Re: Re: Kenwood DPX 4010 (discontinued)

Hey!!
Seems to me like the perfect thing you need!!! It has pretty much all the stuff!! The most important piece in car audio is simple an Equlizer. Make sure this headunit has it built in!!!
What about the price?

Now, the only thing is the problem that it has only two sets of RCA, so if you connect you SUB, you cannot control your FADE, which in this case is not THAT important, but I think it worth buing it. Also it's Kenwood, which is pretty good brand for headunits.

If you buy it new, it should have at least one year warranty, if not 3 years. (1 year dealer war. 3 years mfg warranty).

Let us know what you think!!!

P.S. If it desn't have an EQ, I can get you the best EQ ever made it's name is ARC Audio. It has seven bands. Usually it runs like $450
But I can get it for around $270. That's what I have in my car
I remember it saying it had a 4 band BUILT in EQUALIZER, but my major concern is:

THE WARRANTY!!! it's discontinued, so i don't know if it still has one...i guess i just gotta call these guys up and ask them....also, the crossover problem...if it doesn't come wit one, can i buy them seperate? I'm going to call them up but i'm really feeling this one, and i'm bout to get it for like 320...i think that's a good price, which it dropped lower though
Old 02-13-2002, 12:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: Kenwood DPX 4010 (discontinued)

Well, call about Warranty.

Crossover is the device which allows you to stay in the certain range of freekwencies. You don't need Crossover in the headunit, usually it is in the amplifiler.
Old 02-13-2002, 02:10 PM
Sports Button FTW

oh ok...doing that now.....i wonder how much installation in stores is
Old 02-13-2002, 02:44 PM

Shouldn't be more then 35 bucks. I would try by myself (well duh, I've done my whole stereo with my two hands)!!!
good luck!!!