Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

New System...sedan sub ????s

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 01:07 PM

New System...sedan sub ????s

Ok, have had my 2k2 Maj Blue 6sp for about a month, and I'm ready to seriously upgrade my system. my old ride was a '94 grand cherokee
with an Eclipse HU, Alpine 6.5 separates, 300wAlpine Amp, MTX250D and 1 MTX 12" Black Gold in a sealed Box.
Well,the eclipse was stolen, so I got an alpine with Changer controls. That will go in the dash of my new max. I've sold just about everything else. So this is what I'm looking at: MB Quart separates up front; SonyDVD/CD changer or Alpine CD changer; JL 5 ch amp; 2 or 3 JL 10w0 subs in a sealed box.
Here are the actual questions:
1)thoughts on the Quart separates? I haven't been speaker shopping since '95, and just loved my Alpines, but from everything I've read, Quarts are just about the best.
2)I've never set up a system in a sedan, so what kind of bass can I expect when firing through the leather seats? (I'm into high SQ, not SPL)

Money is an object, but I've got some leeway.
Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
Shaft
Old 02-18-2002, 01:25 PM

Quarts are one of the best, others would be dynaudio, focal and a few others. Bass will be fine.
Old 02-18-2002, 07:55 PM

well this is how things are shaking out....
I like the MB's for components, but similar to what I've read, they do sound a little harsh to me, and it seems like there needs to be a "perfect" install for them to perform. Soooo, I've gone with JL XR 6.5 components (got them for $150 under local price); got the new JL 500/5 amp to run the whole system ($225.00 under local price), am getting an alpine 12 disc changer, and still deciding btw the 2 or 3 sub configuration of the JLW0's. All in all, I think it will be a nice sounding system...
Old 02-19-2002, 12:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you aren't into SPL contests, you should just get a single 10 or 12. That will be more than enough for SQ, less money, less space, and less weight.
Old 02-20-2002, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by Micah95GLE
If you aren't into SPL contests, you should just get a single 10 or 12. That will be more than enough for SQ, less money, less space, and less weight.
Get a single 10" Kappa Perfect. With enough juice running to it that will sound like two 12's anyhow.

SuDZ