Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Need some feedback/advice on installing a headunit (not in a maxima)...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 12:10 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Need some feedback/advice on installing a headunit (not in a maxima)...

My friend has a 95 Chevy Blazer.
We want to put in an aftermarket deck, but I do not know whether he might need an adaptor or what?
The stock stereo is made by "delco" I noticed a lot of Chevys have this thing, I know another guy with a Lumina, his AC Delco says "BOSE" in some places too what is that about?

Will I need an adaptor?

What wires are supposed to go where? Colors etc? sorry, it is obvious I am pretty clueless when it comes to this.. I dont know if it's the same way or even close to as it is in my Max.

thanks
Old 02-21-2002, 12:48 PM
STFU n00b!

you'll need a dash kit and a wiring harness adaptor. if it's got bose, you could run into some other weird stuff. your best bet is to call a local stereo shop and ask them what you need.. then do themthe courtesy of buying the parts from them.

that way you get teh service when you need help, not some jerk on the phone from some place you bought stuff online.
Old 02-22-2002, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
you'll need a dash kit and a wiring harness adaptor. if it's got bose, you could run into some other weird stuff. your best bet is to call a local stereo shop and ask them what you need.. then do themthe courtesy of buying the parts from them.

that way you get teh service when you need help, not some jerk on the phone from some place you bought stuff online.

We're going to try it right now. I already see the dash kit is needed and the harness, the aftermarkey deck is a whole different size, not vertically but horizontally too.. thanks
Old 02-22-2002, 06:12 PM

A few more questions

We took everything apart, took out the old deck.... obviously a dash kit was needed since the stock unit is like 1.5 - 2.0 din.. so we got one of those, but no wiring harness.... I talked to this guy at the shop, he didn't seem to know very much to me, he does alarms, not stereos... but he said I can just splice the wires, and there is no need for a harness.. it can be done without it... is that true? It's late now, but we're going to try it out...

thanks
Old 02-22-2002, 09:15 PM
Schmoo

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
... but he said I can just splice the wires, and there is no need for a harness.. it can be done without it... is that true? It's late now, but we're going to try it out...
I'd get the harness. It makes it so much easier. You can hook it up to your stereo harness while working inside, on a table. You then just take it to the car and plug it in. Splicing inside the car is a big hassle, and you can end up with things being too short, or wrong connections made, etc.