Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Does the Bose head unit have pre-amp outs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 07:41 AM

Does the Bose head unit have pre-amp outs?

I have a 98 Max SE with the Bose system and am looking to add a sub or 2. Anyone know if it has the pre amp outputs?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2002, 09:07 AM

pre-amp outs

As far as I know, No, there are no pre-amp outs on the Bose head unit. I had a 90 SE w/ Bose and it did not. Now I have a 96 GLE w/ Bose and it does not. Sorry.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:37 PM
Schmoo

I thought the outputs of a Bose head unit were pre-amp outputs of a sort, since the speakers had their own amplifiers (mind you, I only really know about 3rd gen Bose units). The problem is that the Bose uses custom impedances, so you couldn't really hook it straight up to standard equipment and get good results. Anyway, I do think I remember seeing somewhere an adapter to let you use a Bose head unit with standard amps and such. Only problem is, I can't remember where. But you can try searching on google.

Old 03-02-2002, 01:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Schmoo
I thought the outputs of a Bose head unit were pre-amp outputs of a sort, since the speakers had their own amplifiers (mind you, I only really know about 3rd gen Bose units). The problem is that the Bose uses custom impedances, so you couldn't really hook it straight up to standard equipment and get good results. Anyway, I do think I remember seeing somewhere an adapter to let you use a Bose head unit with standard amps and such. Only problem is, I can't remember where. But you can try searching on google.
You are right, the bose unit sends a preamp signal to the amps.

Dixit