Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Should I replace the stock head unit ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 12:16 PM

Should I replace the stock head unit ?

I have a non-bose head unit, so far, I've replaced the stock speakers with Eclipse speakers, btw thanks to maximadave. The difference in sound is a lot, the stock speakers were just junk.
I know this stereo is made by Clarion and I was looking to replace it for a Clarion Pro Audio AXZ610. Do you think I will get a better sound quality? Finally both stereos are manufactured by the same company.
Also I'd like to know your opinion about the Eclipse Head Units. How do you compare units from Clarion and Eclipse ?

Any feedback it's really appreciated.
Old 03-02-2002, 12:25 AM

replace it...your speakers will sound even better because aftermarket decks push more power...just get a deck that will do everything u want it to (ex: subs)
Old 03-02-2002, 05:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

As far as sound quality I actually like my stock deck quite a bit. The reciever and tape, CD portions of a deck are all going to be similar in sound quality. It's the decks amplifiers that will make a huge difference. If you've replaced all of your stock speakers your stock deck may not have enough power to properly drive your new speakers. Stock speakers tend to be very efficient so that the stock amplifiers don't have to provide as much power to get a pretty loud sound. After market speakers usually (but not always) have a lower sensitivity, but can handle much more power. Keep in mind that any amplifier included in a deck however will never be as clean and loud as a separate amplifier.
Old 03-02-2002, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by 97StockSE
As far as sound quality I actually like my stock deck quite a bit. The reciever and tape, CD portions of a deck are all going to be similar in sound quality. It's the decks amplifiers that will make a huge difference. If you've replaced all of your stock speakers your stock deck may not have enough power to properly drive your new speakers. Stock speakers tend to be very efficient so that the stock amplifiers don't have to provide as much power to get a pretty loud sound. After market speakers usually (but not always) have a lower sensitivity, but can handle much more power. Keep in mind that any amplifier included in a deck however will never be as clean and loud as a separate amplifier.
I'm not planning to add an amplifier, that's why my concern is if after spending 200-300 bucks on the deck, I will get the same sound quality.
Rigth now I think it sounds pretty decent but, you know, never is enough.
Old 03-02-2002, 03:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think you would have better sound quality if you invested that money in a good 4 channel amplifier. Unless you just want a new deck or don't like the stock deck. That is what I would do personally anyway.
Old 03-02-2002, 07:23 PM
cwinn

Re: Should I replace the stock head unit ?

replace it. generally anything halfway decent that is aftermarket will be better than the stock stereo equip. clarion pro makes a good head unit, mine is four years old and I cant kill it. but I used to work in car stereo and I never saw an eclipse head go bad. either head unit would probably be fine

Old 03-03-2002, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by 97StockSE
I think you would have better sound quality if you invested that money in a good 4 channel amplifier. Unless you just want a new deck or don't like the stock deck. That is what I would do personally anyway.
the sound quality would still suck cause the stock deck doesn't have any preouts on it...you'd have to use 2 hi-lo converters