Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

laptop/computer!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 06:07 AM

laptop/computer!

who in here is good with this kind of stuff??? if u knoe ur shiet then please hit me up on aim... yellowbrother2
Old 03-02-2002, 11:43 AM
I need a truck

Re: laptop/computer!

whats the problem, becuase different people are good at different things in regards to a computer
Old 03-03-2002, 09:29 AM

ok....a lil history...laptop...intel celeron 533mhz...32mb ram...it had win 98 se...created bootable disk...format c:...try to load win me...i know microsoft recommends 64mb of ram but that will come later...and i know win me sux...but thas not the point...try to load win me on the ms dos prompt...it scandisk the laptop and say everything is good..then attempts to load win me...message comes up saying cannot read .cab files...then stops...that is as far as it got...and the cd is good...
Old 03-03-2002, 12:04 PM
Schmoo

First off, get more memory immediately. You can buy it used (Ebay), and it cost almost nothing.

Secondly, you can try to copy the install files to the hard disk. Assuming the disk is already formatted, make a folder on it called win9x, then copy the files from the CD's win9x directory into it. You shouldn't need to copy any subdirectories, I think. Anyway, when you're done, just run the setup program from the hard drive.

Old 03-03-2002, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by Schmoo
First off, get more memory immediately. You can buy it used (Ebay), and it cost almost nothing.

Secondly, you can try to copy the install files to the hard disk. Assuming the disk is already formatted, make a folder on it called win9x, then copy the files from the CD's win9x directory into it. You shouldn't need to copy any subdirectories, I think. Anyway, when you're done, just run the setup program from the hard drive.
um i'm confused...
Old 03-03-2002, 05:42 PM
Schmoo

Originally posted by Yellowbrother

um i'm confused...
I can't help you unless you tell me what part you don't understand.

I suggested copying the install files to the hard drive in order to remove the CD from the picture so that you won't have any CD-related problems.

Old 03-03-2002, 05:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do you have a disk or a CD that have the .cab files on it? If you do you may be able to get them off of those, otherwise you may have to reinstall windows :-(...
Old 03-04-2002, 05:15 PM

what files do i copy to a floppy??? just the setup.exe only? or some other files too? and do i save it to the bootable disk that i have? or a separate one?

the win me and win 98 se that i have on a disc is has been compressed then sent to me then reburned to a cd...the cd does work cuz i've tried it on other computer/laptop...
Old 03-04-2002, 08:59 PM
Schmoo

Easiest for me to tell you: have someone make a windows startup disk for you. (Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs->Startup disk).

This is a boot disk that includes CD-ROM drivers on it.

Once you boot this, you can access your CD-ROM drive.

You can then run setup from the CD-ROM.

Old 03-05-2002, 11:20 AM

1st off dont use a ME boot disk... get a win98 one... if you need one email me..

then boot with cdrom support into dos prompt (instructions are only if there is NO data on drive and drive is fdisked and formatted)

a:>c:

c:>mkdir cabs

c:>cd cabs

c:\cabs>copy e:\winme\*.* (assuming E is cdrom)
wait till done

c:\cabs>setup /is
Old 03-05-2002, 03:58 PM

can one of u guys aim me up?? i have the win me and win 98 se bootable disk!
Old 03-05-2002, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by Yellowbrother
can one of u guys aim me up?? i have the win me and win 98 se bootable disk!
sorry man.. i use msn messenger... if you have that ill be here im around every pm

grunge315@hotmail.com
Old 03-05-2002, 10:31 PM
Schmoo

Originally posted by grunge

c:\cabs>copy e:\winme\*.* (assuming E is cdrom)
By the way, it should be "win9x" instead of "winme" in that line above. At least, that's the name of the directory on the WinME CD that I've got.

The WinME installation package (for computers without Windows installed) comes with a setup boot disk. If you can get that, that's the easiest thing to start with.

Old 03-06-2002, 04:23 PM

imma try these steps tonite! crossing fingers!
Old 03-06-2002, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Schmoo

By the way, it should be "win9x" instead of "winme" in that line above. At least, that's the name of the directory on the WinME CD that I've got.
My bad