Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

? about WHIRRING noise in speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 05:08 PM

? about WHIRRING noise in speakers

I just bought a car, with 5 1/2 inch pioneer speakers all the way around, a Clarion amp, and some offbrand ten inch sub, with a Panasonic headunit.

When I turn on the radio and turn the volume up, the music comes through, accompanied by a whirring/whining noise. The noise gets louder as I shift through the gears, as if mimicking my engine noise...The engine revs, the whirring gets higher pitched. I go to idle, the noise gets lower.

What could it be? I know nothing about electronics, I'm going to trust you guys here.

Thanks in advance!

Peace,
Austin
Old 03-22-2002, 05:23 PM

Chances are they ran the power to the amp side by side with the RCAs
Old 03-22-2002, 05:47 PM

yah, its called altenator whine.. try rewiring it, and make sure u have good solid grounds.
Old 03-22-2002, 08:34 PM

so this is something that anybody who knows about stereos can fix for me? I'm totally worthless when it comes to this stuff, but this should be a piece of cake for somebody with experience with electronics, right?
Old 03-22-2002, 09:12 PM

anyone who knows how to install a system in your car should be able to fix it. whoever installed it probably got lazy and ran both cables down driver side.. when the rca's are supposed to go down passenger side.
Old 03-22-2002, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by OgreDave
anyone who knows how to install a system in your car should be able to fix it. whoever installed it probably got lazy and ran both cables down driver side.. when the rca's are supposed to go down passenger side.
ya make sure they do not cross each other anywhere... i rewired my car after getting bad whine and i still got it! so i checked in the trunk and the power wire was crossing the speaker wires so just pushing em out of the way solved it

Adam
Old 03-22-2002, 11:23 PM

I know there are RCA filters that supposily filter out the altenator whine, but dunno if they work. You just connect the RCA cables from the HU to the filter and the filter to the RCA outputs in the amp....wouldn't hurt to try and I don't think they're too costly either.

-blake
Old 03-23-2002, 04:54 PM

Thanks everybody.
Old 03-24-2002, 10:12 PM

Mine does same thing but i dont have a system in mine yet just cd player and regular speakers. I have a 89 maxima i think it came stock with bose speaker but that aint what in the back of my car some other name brand.Its a pretty nice cd player someone might of had a system befor i got it and just took amp/sub's out.but i have same probaly whinning as i give it more gas really sucks .i was wondering what to check for i heard it could be caused by someone grounding to moter.and about the noise filter thingy i already pulled the cd player out befor mine has a noise filter but still does it .so im wonder if it would be worth a shot cutting the ground wire far as i can see it go and regrounding it??.or is there something eles i should check befor i do that dont really have money to pay someone to look at it.
Old 03-25-2002, 12:33 AM
jmax

Originally posted by maxima_mike2002
Mine does same thing but i dont have a system in mine yet just cd player and regular speakers. I have a 89 maxima i think it came stock with bose speaker but that aint what in the back of my car some other name brand.Its a pretty nice cd player someone might of had a system befor i got it and just took amp/sub's out.but i have same probaly whinning as i give it more gas really sucks .i was wondering what to check for i heard it could be caused by someone grounding to moter.and about the noise filter thingy i already pulled the cd player out befor mine has a noise filter but still does it .so im wonder if it would be worth a shot cutting the ground wire far as i can see it go and regrounding it??.or is there something eles i should check befor i do that dont really have money to pay someone to look at it.
If all the speakers are connected to the amp it will be difficult to tell where the noise is entering. If only the rear speakers are amped, is the whining in all 4 speakers, or just the rear? If just the rear then it's an amp wiring issue, unless there is another procesor between the head unit and amp. But most often it's a poor ground at the amp. Second most common are POS RCA cables crossing over the positive power wire going to the amp. In which case you could change the way the cables are laid out, or get a decent set of shielded cables.

Other than that are probably another few hundred things that could be at fault.

Old 03-25-2002, 04:01 AM

I dont have a amp hook up .
Old 03-25-2002, 09:06 AM
jmax

Then you may have a speaker grounded to the door panel or a bad ground at the headunit. Could also be a faulty antenna wire. But I can't remember if you would hear that all the time or only when the radio is on. The headunit could also be grounded out. But I doubt that there is any metal close enough to ground out the head unit. Oh yeah, there could be a fray in any of the speaker wires, grounded to chassis.

Old 03-26-2002, 09:31 AM

I only use my back speaker my front ones sounds busted.so that would narrow it down some so it could be either my head unit grounded to the moter.or the back speakers are grounded to something bad that causes that noise????
Old 03-28-2002, 05:27 AM

ANSWER HERE

The gain on the amp is set to high turn it down a notch or sol if continues then turn it down a bit more, now dotn turn it passed half way or you wont hear anything. If it stillcontinues, take it back to where you got it and get a better amp, maybe Phoenix Gold, Alpine, MTX, but stay the hell away from SONY
Old 03-28-2002, 07:21 AM
jmax

Originally posted by maxima_mike2002
I only use my back speaker my front ones sounds busted.so that would narrow it down some so it could be either my head unit grounded to the moter.or the back speakers are grounded to something bad that causes that noise????
THe factory head unit ground is not very good. You could reground with a heavier wire to ground. A lot of installers have trouble with Nissan's factory head unit ground.