Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Rockford Fosgate Amp/Buying at Best Buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 04:41 AM

Rockford Fosgate Amp/Buying at Best Buy

Hey all,
Thinking of getting the Rockford Fosgate G16005 amp (100x4 + 200x1), to run my JL XR650CS/CX and a single 10" (not sure what yet). What do you think about this amp. Also thinking of starting to get my components from Best Buy and get the warranty. The rep says if I blow a speaker they will replace it for me. Do you think this is worth paying for (extra for warranty, and extra for buying at best buy vs net). I would like to purchase this single amp vs buying a separate amp for my subs if I can do it without hurting performance much.

RalphW
Old 03-23-2002, 06:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Rockford Fosgate Amp/Buying at Best Buy

Originally posted by RalphW
Hey all,
Thinking of getting the Rockford Fosgate G16005 amp (100x4 + 200x1), to run my JL XR650CS/CX and a single 10" (not sure what yet). What do you think about this amp. Also thinking of starting to get my components from Best Buy and get the warranty. The rep says if I blow a speaker they will replace it for me. Do you think this is worth paying for (extra for warranty, and extra for buying at best buy vs net). I would like to purchase this single amp vs buying a separate amp for my subs if I can do it without hurting performance much.

RalphW
I have always been a fan of RF. Their amps are extremely powerful, look good, and provide a lot of "bang for the buck." As far as getting the amp you mentioned, I have NEVER been a fan of using one amp to power speakers and subs. I have always felt that multiple amps did the trick. If you are trying to stay under a budget, then you may want to keep the one amp. If you are just looking for good amps, I would suggest JL, Zapco, or multiple RF amps. I have also heard that ArcAudio makes extremely good amps. Another favorite is PPI.

As far as paying extra for a warranty, I would NOT do that. If you go to a true car stereo shop, most will exchange a blown speaker with a new one if they installed it. I know most shops around here always give you the manufacturer' warranty if you buy from them, but they also give an extra two years warranty if they install it. You don't exactly pay for the warranty (but it's usually factored into the price of the installation).

So to summarize, if you are working on a budget, get the single amp, if you prefer better quality, get multiple amps. Don't pay for the warranty and go check out stereo shops around town to seee what they can do for you before you drop the dough on your equipment.

C.D.
Old 03-23-2002, 07:18 AM

Thanks for info

Thanks for info, I'm heading out now to check out the stores. A "Tweeters" is opening up locally next week. Looking forward to checking out what they have.

RalphW
Old 03-23-2002, 08:19 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Re: Thanks for info

Originally posted by RalphW
Thanks for info, I'm heading out now to check out the stores. A "Tweeters" is opening up locally next week. Looking forward to checking out what they have.

RalphW
I work at Tweeter in Southern Cal. Go into the store when it opens next week, you won't be disappointed.
Old 03-23-2002, 12:30 PM

I was thinking about getting RF components they sell at Best Buy for 150/pair. They weren't too bad-sounding, but there was no other component pair in stock to compare it against.

You dont need to purchase extended wtty because a standard 10year wtty is enough. Now, if you do install there too, then they will put your OEM pair of speakers back free of charge when you're selling your car.
Old 03-23-2002, 12:44 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
I was thinking about getting RF components they sell at Best Buy for 150/pair. They weren't too bad-sounding, but there was no other component pair in stock to compare it against.

You dont need to purchase extended wtty because a standard 10year wtty is enough.
Who has a 10 year warranty? Not RF.
Old 03-23-2002, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by maximadave

I think he meant to put 1 year.

C.D.
Old 03-23-2002, 04:21 PM

why don't you guys just email me instead of going to Best Buy. Not only will I get you a better price, but it will have a full warranty from an authorized dealer.
Old 03-23-2002, 05:07 PM
Sports Button FTW

hahaha, wasting your money

u still buy things from retail stores?! Just go on www.google.com, type in the model number of what you are looking for and go to a website and get it 20 to 50 percent less! I never buy car modifications from retail stores...not even my cd's...it's better to get it from a whole sale store and there is nothing wholeier than the internet...i checked this shop which had maxima diamond cut bumpers and they were talking 150 for a pair when i got mine for 60 and u can find them for a little less now....NEVER GO RETAIL, unless you want your product right away...but i'll wait 3 to 7 days for 2 to 50 percent off
Old 03-23-2002, 05:09 PM
Sports Button FTW

P.S. if u are worried about warranty, most places u can buy products from have warranties too...
Old 03-23-2002, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by maximadave
oooops sorry thats a 1-yr wtty.

Guys, you're right. I would rather buy over the internet...but the same model of speaker, for instance, I heard on the display at the store, now that makes sense.
Old 03-23-2002, 08:38 PM

well...1 thing nice about best buy..is the WARANTEE you guys are talking about isnt that at all..we call it a Performance Service...bascially with speakers..if they blow out you get new ones...cuz..you can't really service speakers....its 20 bux for 4 years..you can't beat it..all you do is WALK INTO BEST BUY..any best buy..and say..."my speakers blew...i have my 4 year performance service plan"...and you get new ones...We have them on subs..speakers..decks..amps.. Rockford amps do go out to service....again you dont hafta hassle with talking to rockford or shipping it out..or bringing it to a "authorized service center"...just bring it to any best buy nation wide..its that easy..and for 30 bux...what else can you ask for...its 4 years of trouble free service..at no additonal cost...and NO im not on commsission...niether is any other best buy employee..so its for your convineince...
Old 03-23-2002, 08:42 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1
well...1 thing nice about best buy..is the WARANTEE you guys are talking about isnt that at all..we call it a Performance Service...bascially with speakers..if they blow out you get new ones...cuz..you can't really service speakers....its 20 bux for 4 years..you can't beat it..all you do is WALK INTO BEST BUY..any best buy..and say..."my speakers blew...i have my 4 year performance service plan"...and you get new ones...We have them on subs..speakers..decks..amps.. Rockford amps do go out to service....again you dont hafta hassle with talking to rockford or shipping it out..or bringing it to a "authorized service center"...just bring it to any best buy nation wide..its that easy..and for 30 bux...what else can you ask for...its 4 years of trouble free service..at no additonal cost...and NO im not on commsission...niether is any other best buy employee..so its for your convineince...
you THINK it's 20 bucks but when you paying an extra 100 bucks for the speakers, it really isn't as cheap as you think....
Old 03-23-2002, 08:46 PM

i really doubt you'll save 100 bux off a pair of speakers...mabey the HE2 subwoofers..you'll save about 60 on each one.....but then again..if you pay the extra money +20...you can blow them out as many times as you want..and if you keep the boxes...even UPGRADE in the future as your budget allows...
Old 03-23-2002, 09:46 PM
Banned

Haha...a fellow BBY associate. I worked at BBY for about 2 years and Ive seen all sides of the place. In my opinion the PSPs vary in worth.
Speakers: A Must...Free replacement for 4 years is amazing, no speaker company goes 4 years w/o making some kind of improvement which you can cash in on usually with no additional charge.
Amps/Decks: Nice to have but not a requirement...the big drawback with most of these is the fact that they must be sent to a service center for repairs(usually LONG waits)

But then again...thats just my opinion.

Warbucks
Old 03-23-2002, 10:02 PM

hmmm true...well sony decks...JVC...are replacement 90% of the time unless more than 2 years old..then sometimes hafta be sent to service....not sure about amps..but Rockford needs to be serviced..i dunno about sony..but then again....XPLOD has to mean something
Old 03-24-2002, 03:43 PM

hmmm true...well sony decks...JVC...are replacement 90% of the time unless more than 2 years old..then sometimes hafta be sent to service....not sure about amps..but Rockford needs to be serviced..i dunno about sony..but then again....XPLOD has to mean something
So what happens 3 1/2 years from now when BB no longer carries a certain speaker and someone comes in with one blown?
Old 03-24-2002, 04:22 PM
Banned

Originally posted by C-Dawg

So what happens 3 1/2 years from now when BB no longer carries a certain speaker and someone comes in with one blown?
If they no longer carry it you get the amount you paid towards any other model..

Warbucks
Old 03-24-2002, 07:23 PM

Bingo!..pretty sweet deal huh?
Old 03-25-2002, 06:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i must agree i work a BB in RI (store 569) in the computer dept. and the service on some things is really worth it... like laptops!
Old 03-26-2002, 10:32 PM

Ya, the best buy service plan thing is nice. My friend uhh......bought me a head unit as a gift on his discount(ok ok......so i actually payed for it....shhh), I had it for about 8 monoths and it crapped out. The display stopped working. Took the thing back and I got a better one now questions asked. Just payed the difference in price and was on my way. I also purchased the service plan on my speakers and my cell phone.
Old 03-27-2002, 07:20 AM
www.autotalk.com

as far as i know none of the companies warranty blown speakerS? isnt it considered ABUSE? as far as those performance service plans go.. i get them on every single thing i buy from BB since they are soooo cheap ($2 for spk, $7 for headunit) yea yea i work there.. Every single electronic component in mycar is from bb and it kicks @$$. The only reason i will recommend you to buy from bb is that if you dotn want the hassle of going around here and there to get something replaced of serviced. What if teh audio shop you bought your speakers from goes out of businesS? there is less than 0.1% chance of bb going out of business. So its your call my friend.
Old 03-28-2002, 05:22 AM

Thorw an ALPINE thats bang for the buck and they have an automatic 6 year warranty, get the MRV-F400 5/4/3/2 channel amp. pumping 400 watts rms, and 650w peak, its rated efficient. Knock off the RF, my cousin blew it in 2 weeks, after he used it in an SPKL competition, now he has a SoundStream T-REX which is much better but too expensive.