Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

2 easy (newbie) Q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 09:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2 easy (newbie) Q's

Hello experts,
I have a small sub - the Kenwood WooX (yes, that tiny thing made for Miata's) - mounted in my 97 Max but I have just 2 wires left to connect.. Can someone gimme a clue?

(1) Power (yellow) - comes w/an inline 12V fuse, do I just connect this to the back of the fuse box someplace & try to leave the inline fuse accessible if needed?

(2) Remote/pwr ctrl. (blue) - I think I just connect this to the adaptor of my non-Bose HU (referring to the diagram at installdr.com) or would I need to purchase another adaptor from Radio Shack or someplace...?

I know, lame Q's but I'm hoping for easy answers to these (like "yes to both" haha). I read thru maximadriver's How2 & a few of the FAQ links on installing stuff: it seems like my Q's are too easy (or obvious) to explain or they pretain to hooking up power straight to the battery (I don't think that's the case w/what I got here)..

Thanks v.much for reading.
Old 04-02-2002, 11:02 AM

Re: 2 easy (newbie) Q's

Originally posted by VelocityBoy
Hello experts,
I have a small sub - the Kenwood WooX (yes, that tiny thing made for Miata's) - mounted in my 97 Max but I have just 2 wires left to connect.. Can someone gimme a clue?

(1) Power (yellow) - comes w/an inline 12V fuse, do I just connect this to the back of the fuse box someplace & try to leave the inline fuse accessible if needed?

(2) Remote/pwr ctrl. (blue) - I think I just connect this to the adaptor of my non-Bose HU (referring to the diagram at installdr.com) or would I need to purchase another adaptor from Radio Shack or someplace...?

I know, lame Q's but I'm hoping for easy answers to these (like "yes to both" haha). I read thru maximadriver's How2 & a few of the FAQ links on installing stuff: it seems like my Q's are too easy (or obvious) to explain or they pretain to hooking up power straight to the battery (I don't think that's the case w/what I got here)..

Thanks v.much for reading.
1) I'm not sure if that WooX thing has an amp built in to it or not, but whatever amp is powering it needs to be hooked to the battery by way of that power wire you have. the inline fuse must be hooked up within about a foot from the battery. I don't know what your talking about with the back of the fuse box thing.

2) Yes, this needs to be connected to your HU or any 12v switched power source like the antenna lead so that it recieves power and turns on your amp/sub when the HU is turned on.
Old 04-02-2002, 12:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: 2 easy (newbie) Q's

Hey WaydeMax,

Thanks for the reply-
The WooX does have a built-in 100w amp so the instr. shows this power line to connect to the fusebox (which then of course leads to the battery) so doesn't show in the instr. that I need to connect my line straight to the battery (i.e. run thru the firewall, etc.). I was hoping to hear that I merely "hook up this line" to the fusebox: once I get under the footwell and checkout the fusebox, will it be clear how to "hook up this wire?"

To your second reply re: the remote/blue, I can just "hook up" this wire to the appropriate connection on the existing adaptor & don't need another adaptor to accomodate this new wire, right?

I apologize again for these dummy Q's- I'm certain they're clear to the general audio population..

WaydeMax, I appreciate your response! BTW, 97 Rosewood? Good choice!

Originally posted by WaydeMax

1) I'm not sure if that WooX thing has an amp built in to it or not, but whatever amp is powering it needs to be hooked to the battery by way of that power wire you have. the inline fuse must be hooked up within about a foot from the battery. I don't know what your talking about with the back of the fuse box thing.

2) Yes, this needs to be connected to your HU or any 12v switched power source like the antenna lead so that it recieves power and turns on your amp/sub when the HU is turned on.
Old 04-02-2002, 03:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: 2 easy (newbie) Q's

Hey WaydeMax,

Thanks for the reply-
The WooX does have a built-in 100w amp so the instr. shows this power line to connect to the fusebox (which then of course leads to the battery) so doesn't show in the instr. that I need to connect my line straight to the battery (i.e. run thru the firewall, etc.). I was hoping to hear that I merely "hook up this line" to the fusebox: once I get under the footwell and checkout the fusebox, will it be clear how to "hook up this wire?"

To your second reply re: the remote/blue, I can just "hook up" this wire to the appropriate connection on the existing adaptor & don't need another adaptor to accomodate this new wire, right?

I apologize again for these dummy Q's- I'm certain they're clear to the general audio population..

WaydeMax, I appreciate your response! BTW, 97 Rosewood? Good choice!

1) I've never heard of connecting the power line to the fuse box, I've only done it by connecting it str8 to the positive battery terminal by way of a ring terminal ( with the inline fuse within a foot away ). You can also use a battery terminator to connect it. It has to go through the firewall to do this. I had to drill a hole for my power wire, but many people have done this by finding existing holes by removing plastic plugs or just putting it through with another wire that already there. You might want to call the people who made those instructions because they sound kind of sketchy.

2) I'm not sure exactly what this "adaptor" is you are talking about because when I did this, it was with an aftermarket HU. But if it has some wire that says "remote" (usually blue or blue/white), it should work , but make sure it is a 12v switched power source the gets power when your HU turns on.

I hope this helps...
Old 04-04-2002, 03:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 easy (newbie) Q's

Originally posted by WaydeMax

1) I've never heard of connecting the power line to the fuse box, I've only done it by connecting it str8 to the positive battery terminal by way of a ring terminal ( with the inline fuse within a foot away ). You can also use a battery terminator to connect it. It has to go through the firewall to do this. I had to drill a hole for my power wire, but many people have done this by finding existing holes by removing plastic plugs or just putting it through with another wire that already there. You might want to call the people who made those instructions because they sound kind of sketchy.

*** THIS is the instr. from Kenwood that I was referring to: note the connection to the fuse box then leading to the ignition key switch:

2) I'm not sure exactly what this "adaptor" is you are talking about because when I did this, it was with an aftermarket HU. But if it has some wire that says "remote" (usually blue or blue/white), it should work , but make sure it is a 12v switched power source the gets power when your HU turns on.

*** I think I meant to say "harness"- sorry, another newbie wording issue on my part. ***

I hope this helps...
*** Yes, thanks for your followup, WaydeMax! I hope to tackle this "little job" this wknd if the weather permits some outdoor (no garage!) activities!
Old 04-04-2002, 04:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 easy (newbie) Q's

*** Yes, thanks for your followup, WaydeMax! I hope to tackle this "little job" this wknd if the weather permits some outdoor (no garage!) activities!
I still don't know about those instructions. I'm an EE major at school, I don't know much of the high-level power/circuitry stuff like Matt93SE does (ask him...), but I think it will be easier and safer just to do it like I described above, through the firewall and direct connect to the battery. That's how big majority of people do it. I'm thinking that doing it through the fuse box will fry whatever fuse your supposed to connect it to. Plus, it might damage the pre-existing wire that the fuse box is connected to the battery with. This is all because of the current that needs to travel to your sub. I'm not the supreme audio install guy, but after looking at the pic you took of the instructions, I RECOMMEND you do it the proven way I said above. If you want to do it the instruction's way, ask some other people about it, like Matt93SE, to make sure the power/circuitry will work out. Have fun !!