Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

sub question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 12:02 PM

sub question

ive got a sony dvc 12" sub (the almunium woofer one) it says it handles up to 1200watts how much should i be pushing to it right now i have 180 and it dosnt seem to be hitting hard could i like double amp it like one amp into another amp into the sub? to give it more watts?
Old 04-15-2002, 12:22 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Re: sub question

Originally posted by dm7297
ive got a sony dvc 12" sub (the almunium woofer one) it says it handles up to 1200watts how much should i be pushing to it right now i have 180 and it dosnt seem to be hitting hard could i like double amp it like one amp into another amp into the sub? to give it more watts?
The Sony DVC sub will peak out at 1200 watts and handles about 600 watts of continous power (if that). Use the JL Audio 500/1 500 watt mono block amp. If you don't run enough power to your sub, you can blow your sub and even your amp. run the JL amp. Your sub will appreciate it

Dave
Old 04-15-2002, 01:53 PM

Re: Re: sub question

Originally posted by maximadave
The Sony DVC sub will peak out at 1200 watts and handles about 600 watts of continous power (if that). Use the JL Audio 500/1 500 watt mono block amp. If you don't run enough power to your sub, you can blow your sub and even your amp. run the JL amp. Your sub will appreciate it

Dave
any idea on how much such and amp costs and where i can get it?
Old 04-15-2002, 03:03 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Re: Re: Re: sub question

any idea on how much such and amp costs and where i can get it?
If you have a Tweeter store near you a JL500/1 would run you $499.00. Tweeter can also build you a custom box specifically for your DVC Sony sub.

Dave
Old 04-15-2002, 04:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: sub question

Originally posted by maximadave
If you have a Tweeter store near you a JL500/1 would run you $499.00. Tweeter can also build you a custom box specifically for your DVC Sony sub.

Dave
ouch 499.00 is over my head at the moment, how many watts should i be feeding this? i have a sony 5 channel amp that has 880 watts i think if i bridge them i can get 300 watts is that enough?

Dave
Old 04-15-2002, 10:12 PM
jmax

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sub question

ouch 499.00 is over my head at the moment, how many watts should i be feeding this? i have a sony 5 channel amp that has 880 watts i think if i bridge them i can get 300 watts is that enough?

Dave
Before you jump off the boat into water that you may not be able to swim, why not try reading up on the FAQ's link or the JL audio tutorial page about DVC subs. There is a lot of info that you, the consumer, should be aware of before making a purchase.

Old 04-16-2002, 01:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sub question

Originally posted by jmax

Before you jump off the boat into water that you may not be able to swim, why not try reading up on the FAQ's link or the JL audio tutorial page about DVC subs. There is a lot of info that you, the consumer, should be aware of before making a purchase.
Thanks for the tip man that really helped out i have a dual voice coil dvc sub and the jl audio site helped out alot, i have a spare amp laying around that i can bridge and make 150watts x2 and hook one up to each voice coil for a total of 300 watts am i correct from what i read
Old 04-16-2002, 04:29 PM
jmax

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sub question

Thanks for the tip man that really helped out i have a dual voice coil dvc sub and the jl audio site helped out alot, i have a spare amp laying around that i can bridge and make 150watts x2 and hook one up to each voice coil for a total of 300 watts am i correct from what i read
If your sub has dual 4 ohm coils. Otherwise, if the impedance is lower per coil, the amp may not be stable at the load the sub will present. My MacDaddy's were dual 4 ohms when new. Now that I have thoroughly worked one of them out the resistance is closer to 3.2 - 3.4 ohms per coil. That's another funny thing about speakers. The parameters change once they have been broken in.

Old 04-16-2002, 04:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sub question

i don't think it's good to wire a subs coils in stereo. you should bridge the channels and then wire the sub in parallel or series.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sub question

Originally posted by victor

i don't think it's good to wire a subs coils in stereo. you should bridge the channels and then wire the sub in parallel or series.
i agree, for example, if it's a 2 ohm dvc, you can wire the two coils in series to creat a 4 ohm load to the amp. that way if your amp can be brigded to mono at 4 ohms, ur good to go !
Old 04-17-2002, 05:36 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sub question

Originally posted by WaydeMax

i agree, for example, if it's a 2 ohm dvc, you can wire the two coils in series to creat a 4 ohm load to the amp. that way if your amp can be brigded to mono at 4 ohms, ur good to go !
its a 4 ohm sub and the amp i have is a 4 channel amp with a total of 400 watts how should i got about wireing it?
Old 04-18-2002, 05:11 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sub question

its a 4 ohm sub and the amp i have is a 4 channel amp with a total of 400 watts how should i got about wireing it?
I think you should just get a another amp. wire the the two coils in parallel to make a 2 ohm load. then get an amp, maybe a 2 channel, that's stable to 2 ohms bridged. or u have a better chance of finding a mono amp that's 2 ohm stable. I think that all you can do besides wire each coil individually.
Old 04-18-2002, 05:55 AM

can you tell me the model of the amp?? if so i will try to look up specs for it, and i'll let you know what the best wiring would be for your amp and sub combination.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:08 AM

can you tell me the model of the amp?? if so i will try to look up specs for it, and i'll let you know what the best wiring would be for your amp and sub combination.
its a crapy Jensen XA4200
50W x 4 Car Amplifier

but i have it laying around and since i dont got that much extra cash cuz of school and all, i was hoping i could use it to get a little more bump then what i have now

Heres the spec's for the amp

2-,3-, 4-channel, or Tri-way output
50 watts x 4 at 4 ohms
75 watts x 4 at 2 ohms
150 watts x 2 in bridged mode
requires 4-gauge power and ground leads — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
MOSFET power supply
speaker-level inputs
selectable 40-400 Hz variable high- and low-pass crossovers, 12 dB/octave
0-12 dB variable bass boost at 45 Hz
preamp outputs
4-way protection circuitry
Old 04-18-2002, 09:14 AM

its a crapy Jensen XA4200
50W x 4 Car Amplifier

but i have it laying around and since i dont got that much extra cash cuz of school and all, i was hoping i could use it to get a little more bump then what i have now

Heres the spec's for the amp

2-,3-, 4-channel, or Tri-way output
50 watts x 4 at 4 ohms
75 watts x 4 at 2 ohms
150 watts x 2 in bridged mode
requires 4-gauge power and ground leads — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
MOSFET power supply
speaker-level inputs
selectable 40-400 Hz variable high- and low-pass crossovers, 12 dB/octave
0-12 dB variable bass boost at 45 Hz
preamp outputs
4-way protection circuitry
cool. from what you listed it did not state at what impedance the bridged power was at, so i looked it up, and it's at 4ohm.

then i headed over to the sony site to see what sub you had, and the only aluminum cone woofer they had was a single voice coil woofer, so i'm not sure.

is your sub a dual 2 ohm or dual 4 ohm sub?? i need to know that.

hopefully it's either a dual 2 ohm, or a single 4 ohm woofer. i don't think that the amp will be stable at 2ohm's bridged.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:43 AM

cool. from what you listed it did not state at what impedance the bridged power was at, so i looked it up, and it's at 4ohm.

then i headed over to the sony site to see what sub you had, and the only aluminum cone woofer they had was a single voice coil woofer, so i'm not sure.

hopefully it's either a dual 2 ohm, or a single 4 ohm woofer. i don't think that the amp will be stable at 2ohm's bridged.
ok the sub i have is last years aluminum cone with the big red heat sync in the middle model number xs-L1265G on the box it says its dual voice coils, 4ohms x2, but i thought i saw that it will do 2ohms too but not sure
Old 04-18-2002, 11:10 AM

ok the sub i have is last years aluminum cone with the big red heat sync in the middle model number xs-L1265G on the box it says its dual voice coils, 4ohms x2, but i thought i saw that it will do 2ohms too but not sure
i tried to find the sub on the site too but it wasn't there (probably cuz it's from last year) but anyway, if it's 4ohms x2 than it will to do 2ohms depending on how you wire the two coils. wiring it in....
parallel = 2ohms
series = 8ohms
it would be best if your amp could bridged to one channel at 2 ohms , but from what you said it can't. so , I think the best thing to do is either get another amp like one I posted earlier or another sub.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sub question

If your sub has dual 4 ohm coils. Otherwise, if the impedance is lower per coil, the amp may not be stable at the load the sub will present. My MacDaddy's were dual 4 ohms when new. Now that I have thoroughly worked one of them out the resistance is closer to 3.2 - 3.4 ohms per coil. That's another funny thing about speakers. The parameters change once they have been broken in.

Good points, keep in mind too that the actual impedence changes with the frequency of the sound you're passing through the woofer, so the typical resistance rating is just a nominal figure and usually means the speaker has a range around that nominal rating. In fact, I had my old Fosgate Punch 75 wired mono onto a JL 12W6 with the voice coils parallel (nominal 3 ohm load) and never once blew it over 2 years time. Course those were the days Fosgate made some stout ****!
Old 04-18-2002, 06:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sub question

Originally posted by srbarnes4ever

Good points, keep in mind too that the actual impedence changes with the frequency of the sound you're passing through the woofer, so the typical resistance rating is just a nominal figure and usually means the speaker has a range around that nominal rating. In fact, I had my old Fosgate Punch 75 wired mono onto a JL 12W6 with the voice coils parallel (nominal 3 ohm load) and never once blew it over 2 years time. Course those were the days Fosgate made some stout ****!
agreed, but i don't suggest him trying it with his amp.

ok and back to the sub, there's no way to safely hook that amp to the sub, you could do as srbarnes4ever says and try that, but your amp might not be able to take it.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sub question

agreed, but i don't suggest him trying it with his amp.

ok and back to the sub, there's no way to safely hook that amp to the sub, you could do as srbarnes4ever says and try that, but your amp might not be able to take it.
that sucks, o well ill just leave it how i have it now hooked up to the sub spot on my 5 channel sony amp it sounds alright, could use a little more bass though, dont got the cash yet though
Old 04-18-2002, 10:38 PM
jmax

If it's dual 4 ohm hook it up as you said. Bridge the amp to two channels and hook up one channel to each coil. You may have a switch on the amp to sum the input signals for mono output. But don't think you will notice a significant difference with the dual coil sub. If it is a dual two ohm sub you will need a stereo or mono amp to power it. Unless you buy a really expensive one ohm stable four channel.

Old 04-18-2002, 11:24 PM

not that you want to buy a new amp, but the jbl powervalve amps are solid, and they are pretty inexpensive. the jbl 600.1 is a mono amp, that you could run at 2 ohm mono (dual 4 ohm sub wired parallel) and get a little over 600 watts...not enough more that it will hurt the sub tho. plus brand new, you can get them for around 200. and if you decide you need more power, the 1200.1 is about 265 bux and does around 1320 watts @ 2 or 1 ohm.

eric
Old 04-19-2002, 02:10 PM

If it's dual 4 ohm hook it up as you said. Bridge the amp to two channels and hook up one channel to each coil. You may have a switch on the amp to sum the input signals for mono output. But don't think you will notice a significant difference with the dual coil sub. If it is a dual two ohm sub you will need a stereo or mono amp to power it. Unless you buy a really expensive one ohm stable four channel.
yeah, i'm not thinking i guess, jmax is right. i'd put the coils in series and then use the amp bridged. the amp will then "see" a 4ohm load.
Old 04-19-2002, 04:10 PM

yeah, i'm not thinking i guess, jmax is right. i'd put the coils in series and then use the amp bridged. the amp will then "see" a 4ohm load.
I think he was saying to wire each of the two bridged channels to each voice coil
Old 04-19-2002, 05:00 PM

I think he was saying to wire each of the two bridged channels to each voice coil
i don't understand. so he won't be wiring the sub in parallel or series? so it'll be running in stereo?? i think i might be confused because it's a 4channel amp.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:36 PM

i don't understand. so he won't be wiring the sub in parallel or series? so it'll be running in stereo?? i think i might be confused because it's a 4channel amp.
I'm not sure what he's doing with his setup but Jmax's advice was to wire each coil individually with a each bridged channel from the amp. Now , I didn't think this would be wise but from reading Jmax's posting for a while now , I now that he's experienced and knows what he's talkin bout most of the time. So , I guess it's ok to do what he says.
Old 04-19-2002, 09:00 PM

I'm not sure what he's doing with his setup but Jmax's advice was to wire each coil individually with a each bridged channel from the amp. Now , I didn't think this would be wise but from reading Jmax's posting for a while now , I now that he's experienced and knows what he's talkin bout most of the time. So , I guess it's ok to do what he says.
i guess so. lol.
Old 04-20-2002, 05:11 AM

i guess so. lol.
i get how hes saying to wire it, hes saying to wire it independent like the picture on jl audios site

http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/dvc/dvcAdvantage.html
Old 04-20-2002, 05:14 AM

jmax knows his shiet

with a 5 channel brige 1+2, & 3+4 and connect them to each coil. It does not matter if you are using different channels as long as they are getting the same input signal. if the amp does not have a summing switch use a y rca and only use one stereo channel as the input.
Old 04-20-2002, 06:27 AM

i see now.
Old 04-21-2002, 09:09 AM
jmax

Originally posted by amax935

jmax knows his shiet

with a 5 channel brige 1+2, & 3+4 and connect them to each coil. It does not matter if you are using different channels as long as they are getting the same input signal. if the amp does not have a summing switch use a y rca and only use one stereo channel as the input.
Actually they don't need to receive the same signal. The motor assembly of the sub will "sum" the signal essentially. And it is not possible to damage the sub this way. Sending it a stereo or mono signal is unecessary. You can use the 5 channel amp for your mids and highs and the 4 channel for the sub. The mono 5th channel of the amp powering the components can remain unused, or for a better idea power a center channel with it. The 4 channel, bridged to two channels, will most likely have more power than the 5th channel of the other amp by itself.

Old 04-21-2002, 09:33 AM

Actually they don't need to receive the same signal. The motor assembly of the sub will "sum" the signal essentially. And it is not possible to damage the sub this way. Sending it a stereo or mono signal is unecessary. You can use the 5 channel amp for your mids and highs and the 4 channel for the sub. The mono 5th channel of the amp powering the components can remain unused, or for a better idea power a center channel with it. The 4 channel, bridged to two channels, will most likely have more power than the 5th channel of the other amp by itself.
yes i am using the 5 channel for my 4 door speakers each speaker wired to each channel ill try to hook up the 4 channel tonite or tomarrow and let ya know how it sounds,

im gonna need to get another power chord right i cant just bridge off the one from the amp i have already right?
Old 04-21-2002, 09:52 AM
jmax

yes i am using the 5 channel for my 4 door speakers each speaker wired to each channel ill try to hook up the 4 channel tonite or tomarrow and let ya know how it sounds,

im gonna need to get another power chord right i cant just bridge off the one from the amp i have already right?
You should get a distribution block for the power wire. The size of the wire needed depends on the total amperage draw and the length of the wire. Look at the size of the fuses on the amps and add the amperage together for total approximate amperage draw.

Old 04-21-2002, 10:43 AM

You should get a distribution block for the power wire. The size of the wire needed depends on the total amperage draw and the length of the wire. Look at the size of the fuses on the amps and add the amperage together for total approximate amperage draw.

MM whats a distribution block? and whats it do? What i have is my sony amp has a 30amp fuse and the 4 channel jenson has two 25 amp fuses, right now i have a street wires amp power chord which i belive is 4ga with a 25 watt glass fuse which is about 16ft long, do i have to get another one of these or can i just split that power line so i dont have to run another one?

Thanks for all the help
Old 04-21-2002, 11:09 AM

a distribution block will allow you to not have to run another power wire from the hood. you cannot just splice into the current power wire.
Old 04-21-2002, 11:47 AM

a distribution block will allow you to not have to run another power wire from the hood. you cannot just splice into the current power wire.
Alright sweet thats what i was looking to do, where can i get one any audio store? around how much should i pay?
Old 04-21-2002, 04:58 PM

yeah any audio store should have them. they go for like 15 bucks. you'll need a couple fuses for the distribution block too, one for each amp.
Old 04-22-2002, 01:28 PM

yeah any audio store should have them. they go for like 15 bucks. you'll need a couple fuses for the distribution block too, one for each amp.
alright i think i got all the stuff i need, 100 bucks at the audio store im gonna try to hook it up today if the rain holds off wish me luck
Old 04-24-2002, 07:53 PM

finally got every thing and got it all installed, got everything laying in my trunk ran out of daylight so after a few knuckle cuts and a sliced finger its all hooked up there is a lot more bass, but only one problem something in the trunk is rattling like mad any ideas as to what it is?

thanks for all the previous help worked out great