Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Rear deck speakers do not matter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 09:22 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Rear deck speakers do not matter?

I remember Anton/Sweetsound had no rear deck speakers at all... I've read at other places and heard others say that if you got a good set of Comps up front and subs in the back, rear speakers are almost useless, you can even leave the stock ones in?

Will there be any improvement with upgraded rear speakers? if you have good components and subs..
Old 04-15-2002, 09:25 PM
STFU n00b!

it all depends on what you like to listen to and how you like to listen to it.

if you want to do surround sound, they're pretty important and you need to get at least a decent set.

if you are competing in sound quality stuff, or don't care about playing movies or surround sound, you'll run little or no rear fill.
most of the guys that use rear speakers in competition use cheaper/smaller ones, and power then either off head unit power, or a very small amp.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:07 AM

i see, thanks...
I guess they are the least significant though out of everything else then..
Old 04-16-2002, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
i see, thanks...
I guess they are the least significant though out of everything else then..
Don't skimp out on rear speakers. The quality of the speakers and amplicication don't necessarily need to be of lesser quality than the front. The best system I've ever had didn't have any rear speakers at all, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't have sounded nice with them. My idea of rear fill speakers is to turn them up just loud enough that you can't really tell you even have rear speakers...but if you suddenly shut them off you would immediately notice the change. I hope that made sense.

If you use lesser quality speakers, or lesser quality amplification in the rear, then you may actually end up sounding worse than you did before having rear speakers. Ideally (and this is debatable), you would want all of your speakers to be as closely matched as possible in sound quality. That way a french horn would sound like a french horn no matter what end of the car it came from.

Tony
Old 04-16-2002, 12:19 AM

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes

Don't skimp out on rear speakers. The quality of the speakers and amplicication don't necessarily need to be of lesser quality than the front. The best system I've ever had didn't have any rear speakers at all, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't have sounded nice with them. My idea of rear fill speakers is to turn them up just loud enough that you can't really tell you even have rear speakers...but if you suddenly shut them off you would immediately notice the change. I hope that made sense.

If you use lesser quality speakers, or lesser quality amplification in the rear, then you may actually end up sounding worse than you did before having rear speakers. Ideally (and this is debatable), you would want all of your speakers to be as closely matched as possible in sound quality. That way a french horn would sound like a french horn no matter what end of the car it came from.

Tony

hmm
I just got some Kicker K65 coaxials for the back, they are supposed to be decent for the $$$ but I decided on going with some really nice Components up front, they will definately exceed the performance of the Kickers.. hope it won't be that bad. thanks for the info
Old 04-16-2002, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa

hmm
I just got some Kicker K65 coaxials for the back, they are supposed to be decent for the $$$ but I decided on going with some really nice Components up front, they will definately exceed the performance of the Kickers.. hope it won't be that bad. thanks for the info
Well, I really don't know your level of critical listening. Most people just want good sound. I want flawless sound. I'm so critical about it that sometimes I spend more time listening to my stereo and individual components themselves rather than enjoying the music.

Anyway, I bet you will be very happy with your setup. My suggestion was more geared to audiophiles and tweakheads like myself!

Tony
Old 04-16-2002, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes

Well, I really don't know your level of critical listening. Most people just want good sound. I want flawless sound. I'm so critical about it that sometimes I spend more time listening to my stereo and individual components themselves rather than enjoying the music.

Anyway, I bet you will be very happy with your setup. My suggestion was more geared to audiophiles and tweakheads like myself!:

Tony
you are probably right lol..
I'm still running stock speakers, all i have is a Pioneer P9200 deck improvement will be there, will probably blow me away too since i never had a system in any of my cars.. but hearing some other peoples I definately think it's time for one.. just don't want it to sound like stock
Old 04-16-2002, 04:58 AM

try listening to your system with the fade all the way to the front. if you think it sounds better than your rear fill won't matter, if you think it's missing something then you might need some rear fill. that's totally depending on the person. the point of only having the front sound stage is to mimic the sound at a live/concert performance where the sound comes from only in front of you.

i have no rear speakers. well i do, but they don't play anything.

Old 04-16-2002, 06:01 AM
Disco Biscuit

I do run rear speakers but only A pair of Dual cone Kenwoods running of my HU. It helps provide the rear fill to balance the sound, but at the same time NOT interfere with the Dyns up front. If your not careful, powering a set of coaxs or components in the rear can distroy the SQ of a system if not used properly. If you have maching speakers up front and back, its not as big of a deal. If you plan on having nice speakers up front, and buy cheap ones for the back, it will kill it. The reason I chose Dual cones is because since it doesnt have a tweeter in it, it doesnt clash with my speakers up front. Just something to think about.
Old 04-16-2002, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by Whitemax
I do run rear speakers but only A pair of Dual cone Kenwoods running of my HU. It helps provide the rear fill to balance the sound, but at the same time NOT interfere with the Dyns up front. If your not careful, powering a set of coaxs or components in the rear can distroy the SQ of a system if not used properly. If you have maching speakers up front and back, its not as big of a deal. If you plan on having nice speakers up front, and buy cheap ones for the back, it will kill it. The reason I chose Dual cones is because since it doesnt have a tweeter in it, it doesnt clash with my speakers up front. Just something to think about.

Makes sense.

Do you think "Kicker K65" are too ****ty? I'm going to get some DEI 3065 or Diamond Audio M3s, or possibly those JL XR Comps for the front... I'll amp them, and maybe run the Kickers off my Pioneer P9200, i know you usually get what you pay for, these Kickers cost 85$.. I'm afraid the Components will overwhelm them in sound..
Old 04-16-2002, 09:42 AM
Disco Biscuit

I would use them if you have them, and see how they sound running off the HU. If anything, you may just need to disable the tweeter with a simple x-over.
Old 04-16-2002, 04:39 PM
jmax

Originally posted by Whitemax
I would use them if you have them, and see how they sound running off the HU. If anything, you may just need to disable the tweeter with a simple x-over.
ha ha, forget the cap, do it the old fashioned way. Use a pair of wire cutters. I also believe the rear channel is nearly useless. As many reflective surfaces as there are in a car, like the rear window, you have plenty of rear fill. My rears are matched to my fronts in design. But only play from roughly 70 Hz up to 2000 Hz. That way the rear passengers can't complain. But I haven't had any critical listeners in my rear seat. I doubt that you will either. If you do, just turn up the volume so that you can't hear their criticism.