Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Oh My Ohms...........

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 10:27 PM

Oh My Ohms...........

I'm taking electricity and magnetism in college now and i'm still so lost.....

i just bought 2 RF 10's which are 4 ohms each, 100 watts RMS, 200 watts peak...

my amp is the RF 300S...which is:
75W x 2 for 4 ohms per channel
150W x 2 for 2 ohms per channel
300W x 1 for 4 ohms bridged (mono)

i was under the impression i would wire the speakers in parallel and it would bring the resistance down from 4 to 2 and then i'd pull 150W to each channel (each speaker) from the amp...will this work?...the box has two connecting places and the amp has two speaker terminals so what would my wiring look like???

please...if you know what you're talking about then please help me out

thanks
adrian
Old 04-18-2002, 10:56 PM
jmax

Nope, won't work. Your max power will be 75 X 2. You have two 4 ohm subs. Parallel will be a two ohm load. But the amp can not be bridged into a two ohm load. The lowest it is stable is 4 ohms bridged. If you connect the subs in series you will have an 8 ohm load. If you then bridge the amp it will see the load the same as it see's a 4 ohm stereo load. So bridged output would only be 150 watts. But if the subs are only rated for 100 watts, 75 should be plenty.

Old 04-18-2002, 11:07 PM

just for the sake of stating it, the old punch XXXa2's and punch XXXa4's were capable of 1.33 ohms stereo, or 2.67 ohm mono. the power XXXa2's and power XXXa4's were 1 ohm stereo, 2 ohm mono stable.

this information came directly from a rockford dealer (and theyre not gonna tell ya theyre stable lower than they are, cuz then you got to deal with returns, ect.

jmax, that wasnt to take away from what you said, just stating applicable info.

eric
Old 04-19-2002, 06:29 AM
Banned

Rockford is making a steady decline in my opinion....The xxx.a2 and xxx.a4 series were the last really strong amps to come from them. Now they are targeting mass retail sales. BBY and Crutchfield are their biggest markets so they are focusing on production more than quality. I think their flagship amps(anything over 400-500 retail) are still decent but their lower/mid range models that the sell tons of are starting to see a quality loss.

Warbucks
Old 04-19-2002, 06:48 AM

Originally posted by nismo240sx
just for the sake of stating it, the old punch XXXa2's and punch XXXa4's were capable of 1.33 ohms stereo, or 2.67 ohm mono. the power XXXa2's and power XXXa4's were 1 ohm stereo, 2 ohm mono stable.

this information came directly from a rockford dealer (and theyre not gonna tell ya theyre stable lower than they are, cuz then you got to deal with returns, ect.

jmax, that wasnt to take away from what you said, just stating applicable info.

eric
ok...so i'm really disapointed...cause now i have to run my amp at full power just to get 3/4's of the rms on the subs...which is something i def don't want to do...its past the return time for the subs (i bought it at 6th ave electronics) and i don't want to buy a more expensive amp...what's this that nismo240sx was talking about???...does this offer solution to my problem?...if not is there ANY solution???

grrrrrrr,
adrian
Old 04-19-2002, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by MaxSport730

ok...so i'm really disapointed...cause now i have to run my amp at full power just to get 3/4's of the rms on the subs...which is something i def don't want to do...its past the return time for the subs (i bought it at 6th ave electronics) and i don't want to buy a more expensive amp...what's this that nismo240sx was talking about???...does this offer solution to my problem?...if not is there ANY solution???

grrrrrrr,
adrian
NO
Old 04-19-2002, 01:33 PM

grrrrrrr,
adrian

NO
Old 04-19-2002, 01:58 PM

ok, here's my take on it. what jmax said is correct. i'd wire the subs in series to produce an 8 ohm load, i'd then go ahead and bridge the amp, the amp would then see a 4ohm load. each sub would get around 150, which sounds about right to me, for the spec you listed.
Old 04-21-2002, 10:06 AM
jmax

Originally posted by victor
ok, here's my take on it. what jmax said is correct. i'd wire the subs in series to produce an 8 ohm load, i'd then go ahead and bridge the amp, the amp would then see a 4ohm load. each sub would get around 150, which sounds about right to me, for the spec you listed.
Nope, total output of the amp will be 150 watts. 75 per sub. But the rockford probably puts out at least a little more than the rated 75 RMS. But definitely not like in the 1980's and early to mid '90's RF amps.

Old 04-21-2002, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by jmax

Nope, total output of the amp will be 150 watts. 75 per sub. But the rockford probably puts out at least a little more than the rated 75 RMS. But definitely not like in the 1980's and early to mid '90's RF amps.
oh. i thought that the amp would see the 4ohm bridged load, so it would put out 300 x1. i'm confused now.
Old 04-21-2002, 01:24 PM

Hey Maxsport,

Call Rockford Fosgate at (480)967-3565 7am-5pm MST M-F and ask them!!

Tony
Old 04-21-2002, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes
Hey Maxsport,

Call Rockford Fosgate at (480)967-3565 7am-5pm MST M-F and ask them!!

Tony
but report back. i want to learn.
Old 04-21-2002, 05:26 PM
Bandwagon Lover

Originally posted by victor

oh. i thought that the amp would see the 4ohm bridged load, so it would put out 300 x1. i'm confused now.
Nope...

Two 4ohm subs in series = 8 ohm. Bridged at 8ohm, each amp channel "see's" 4ohm (pushes 75w each). Since the amp is rated at 2x75@4ohm/chnl, total bridged output to the subs will be 150w. Since you have two subs, each sub would receive 75w. Same as if you ran both subs in stereo (one sub per channel).

Now, if you simply bridge the amp and connect one sub, (4 ohm bridged), each channel "see's" 2ohm. So, bridged output will then be 300w (150+150).

Does that help?
Old 04-22-2002, 05:09 AM

Originally posted by Audtatious

Nope...

Two 4ohm subs in series = 8 ohm. Bridged at 8ohm, each amp channel "see's" 4ohm (pushes 75w each). Since the amp is rated at 2x75@4ohm/chnl, total bridged output to the subs will be 150w. Since you have two subs, each sub would receive 75w. Same as if you ran both subs in stereo (one sub per channel).

Now, if you simply bridge the amp and connect one sub, (4 ohm bridged), each channel "see's" 2ohm. So, bridged output will then be 300w (150+150).

Does that help?
ok. i see now. wow, i just looked at the spec and that makes a lot of sense. thank you.
Old 04-23-2002, 05:01 AM

Nope...

Does that help?
Now i totally get it!...but if i bridge then it sends 75watts to each speaker and if i use each channel it sends 75 watts to each speaker...what's the difference between wiring it the two dif ways
Old 04-23-2002, 05:38 AM
Bandwagon Lover

Now i totally get it!...but if i bridge then it sends 75watts to each speaker and if i use each channel it sends 75 watts to each speaker...what's the difference between wiring it the two dif ways
In your situation, bridging will save a little wire.
Old 04-23-2002, 08:43 AM

i was told that if i bridge it then it will be mono and both subs will hit...but i do it per channel then the subs will be stereo and not hit together...is that true?
Old 04-23-2002, 09:47 AM

i was told that if i bridge it then it will be mono and both subs will hit...but i do it per channel then the subs will be stereo and not hit together...is that true?
No
Old 04-23-2002, 09:55 AM
Bandwagon Lover

In 99.x% of musical recordings, sub-bass frequencies are mono. There should be no problems with running them from a stereo amp.
Old 04-23-2002, 10:41 AM
jmax

In mono the amp will sum the signals. So the net output will be the same either way. Look at it this way: If a low bass note hits (at full output in the digital domain) in only the left channel in stereo the left sub will play that note at the full power capability of the amp/sub. In mono the left channel signal is combined with the right channel signal and averaged. So a full output signal averaged with a null signal would reproduce a half power signal going to both subs.

Since sub bass is non-directional you can't tell whether it is coming from the left or right sub. So there is no benefit to using a stereo signal. But no loss of sound SQ or SPL by connecting in stereo. "6 one way, a half dozen the other."

Old 04-24-2002, 06:06 AM
Banned

Originally posted by jmax
In mono the amp will sum the signals. So the net output will be the same either way. Look at it this way: If a low bass note hits (at full output in the digital domain) in only the left channel in stereo the left sub will play that note at the full power capability of the amp/sub. In mono the left channel signal is combined with the right channel signal and averaged. So a full output signal averaged with a null signal would reproduce a half power signal going to both subs.

Since sub bass is non-directional you can't tell whether it is coming from the left or right sub. So there is no benefit to using a stereo signal. But no loss of sound SQ or SPL by connecting in stereo. "6 one way, a half dozen the other."
Same concept for a DVC sub also isnt it? Im getting a single 12 with 2, 2ohm coils...and my amp isnt 1ohm stable so I am going to run 400x2 @ 2ohms stereo instead of 400x1 @ 4ohm mono. This will work fine wont it?

Warbucks
Old 04-24-2002, 11:24 AM
Bandwagon Lover

Should work just fine. I would highly suggest using a low xover setting to avoid stereo mid-bass (it could happen ) from distorting the sub....Of course, a mono input to the amp is always preferred if you are not bridging.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:22 AM
Banned

Should work just fine. I would highly suggest using a low xover setting to avoid stereo mid-bass (it could happen ) from distorting the sub....Of course, a mono input to the amp is always preferred if you are not bridging.
Thats what I am going to do until I get a new 1 ohm stable amp. Ive got it running as described right now and I have it crossed at 80hz and it sounds great.

Warbucks