Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Alot of Time And Money Later (sigh).... The System Is Installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 07:58 AM

Alot of Time And Money Later (sigh).... The System Is Installed

Well, (*#&(@*&#(@#^*@&^#*$&^@#*&$^ .... now I feel better. After installing (and removing and reinstalling and removing), my new system is in and operational. I installed (2) Pioneer TS-W3041DVC 12" Subs in a R/T Competition Bandpass Box, and hooked it up to a Rockford Fosgate 700S Amp. All of this taps into my factory BOSE system, which is long-overdue (even though it's new) for replacement. I will be posting pictures on a web site of the final product, and will put the link in this post. As for the convertors, etc, I went through 2 of them, until I found one that works the best. And for the amp, I wanted something else (Power 800.2 or a JBL equivalent), but I got a killer deal on the 700S, and it works fine. I haven't had the chance to fully pound it yet, because I install it at night, and my neighbors are "not nice" when it comes to "loud and excessive noises after 10 pm... it's the law, you know".

Install tips/Aggression Release:
1) Fill the box with "poly-fil" type filling. Get it at any craft store in the bedding/quilting department. Use a hot-glue gun to make it stick to the sides.
2) Seal all cracks in the box. Mine was supposedly sealed, but it wasn't, which was cause for at least 1 removal/reinstallation. I could've used caulk, but I opted to use hot-glue, since I already had it, it doesn't break down over time as fast as caulk, and because it was clear.
3) Caps. Get em, use em. If you don't know what they are, find out.
4) Flexible black tubing. Available at HomeDepot much cheaper than any audio shop. Hides colored wires (power/amp turn-on) and looks neat for installs.
5) Vibrations. Good luck finding them, and fixing them. Poly-fil or Dynamat (or equivalent) works. But Poly-fil is flammable, so be careful where you put it.
6) Wiring. Power on the driver's side. RCAs on the passenger's side.
7) Tapping the head unit. Call Tune-Town for help, or read post http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=113460 for help.
8) Bracing. Use it. In my case, it was a piece of wood that was sanded, then spray painted black with 3 coats.
9) Sound. Turn it up. If the seats ain't vibrating, you can't "feel" the music.
10) BOSE. One word. Where do you get off calling that PoS sub in my trunk a sub? I have had harder hits from a girl.
11) Adapters. You can't live with them, and you can't live without them.
12) To All Car Manufacturers. Why not put RCA ins/outs on your stereo source units. I mean, I pay $1200 for a "premium" system that I can't hook up a laptop/dvd/mp3/minidisc/cd player to. And just maybe, on the off chance, we WANTED to replace your "premium" system with a little more "non-premium" system that sounds better, why not make some RCA outs for us, so we can save the hassle of adapters.
But you know what, I figured it all out. It's all a conspiracy. We put in proprietary systems in a car, call it premium (like there REALLY is any other option), and make us pay $1200 for it. THEN, we make it to where if the customer needs to modify it, we have to pay an additional $50-100 for head unit adapters, plus $10-50 for speaker harness adapters, on top of the rest of the parts we are already putting into the car. Thanks guys, we really do love you for all this.