Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Speaker recommendations - close to or better than Bose?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 08:27 PM

Speaker recommendations - close to or better than Bose?

Hey everyone,

First of all, thanks for all the advice in my last thread in here. I think I've decided on the head unit and changer I'll be getting and I should be picking them up soon. Next thing I need to decide on are my interior speakers...

I'm replacing the Bose system (the head unit annoys me, I want more bass, and I want a 12 disc changer - that and I'm not as impressed as everyone else with the sound quality...) so I'm looking for speakers that should provide close to or better quality than the Bose. Right now I'll be powering the speakers from the head unit, but I'll be adding a seperate amp in a month or two when I have enough money to afford some good subs.

Here's my question: what should I expect to pay for interior speakers that will come close or rival the clarity of the Bose? I'm going to be dropping by a few stores to listen to speakers soon, but I want to find out in advance how much I should expect to pay (in the last thread it was suggested the price for mid-range speakers would be $70-90, but that seems off to me?).

Thanks again...
Old 04-29-2002, 08:59 PM
jmax

If you consider bose to be midrange sound quality then you can replace the same quality for $70-$100 per pair.

Old 05-01-2002, 11:13 AM

Re: Speaker recommendations - close to or better than Bose?

You didn't mention whether or not you want separates or coaxials. For ease of installation, I would totally recommend Focal HC coaxials. They sound much better than many separates and can be found at uscaraudio for under $150 I believe.

BTW, I replaced everything in my system and the SQ is 1,000 times better than the Bose.

Tony
Old 05-01-2002, 01:32 PM

Re: Re: Speaker recommendations - close to or better than Bose?

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes
You didn't mention whether or not you want separates or coaxials. For ease of installation, I would totally recommend Focal HC coaxials. They sound much better than many separates and can be found at uscaraudio for under $150 I believe.

BTW, I replaced everything in my system and the SQ is 1,000 times better than the Bose.

Tony
Cool, thanks for the advice. And sorry, I should've been clearer - yeah, I'm definetly planning on getting coaxials. I don't have the time or patience to install components nor the money to have someone else do it for me. $150 sounds like a pretty good price to me (that was what I was expecting to pay).

Unfortunetly, I'm kind of on a deadline (hoping to get all of this done before a big road trip I'll be taking) so I don't know if I'll be able to order any speakers online. That, and I'd rather hear then in person before spending $300. I'll ask around at some of the audio shops near here if they carry Focal HC's, though, and have a listen for myself. Thanks again.
Old 05-01-2002, 02:19 PM

Just my opinion, but don't puss out on your install. Spend the money and do it right. Save up if you have to and wait 3 extra months. Most of your sound should come from the front so get really good components for the front. The rears are for fill so get some cheap ones. Set the fade on your deck to about +4 decibels to the front and your staging will be awesome. If I had one recommendation for you it would to be get components for the front!
Old 05-01-2002, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by TheNip73
Just my opinion, but don't puss out on your install. Spend the money and do it right. Save up if you have to and wait 3 extra months. Most of your sound should come from the front so get really good components for the front. The rears are for fill so get some cheap ones. Set the fade on your deck to about +4 decibels to the front and your staging will be awesome. If I had one recommendation for you it would to be get components for the front!
I totally agree with everything Nip just said. However, if you don't get the components, I almost guarantee you'll be happy with the coaxials. Like I said, they are better than many components and just plain blow away 90% of the competitor coaxials. So even if you get components, depending on the brand, etc, then the Focals have a good chance of sounding better.

I know sound is subjective, but they're very clean, detailed, musical, and not hard on your ears. This is coming from someone that had a 3-way Dynaudio system for a few years.

Tony
Old 05-01-2002, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes

I totally agree with everything Nip just said. However, if you don't get the components, I almost guarantee you'll be happy with the coaxials. Like I said, they are better than many components and just plain blow away 90% of the competitor coaxials. So even if you get components, depending on the brand, etc, then the Focals have a good chance of sounding better.

I know sound is subjective, but they're very clean, detailed, musical, and not hard on your ears. This is coming from someone that had a 3-way Dynaudio system for a few years.

Tony
Well, like I said... any speakers I buy, I want to hear first. I'll be looking around this week, so I'll see what I like. My budget right now isn't exactly small, but it comes down to being able to afford good coaxial speakers front AND back or getting component speakers up front and getting really cheap speakers in back. Right now, it seems more appealing to go with the good coax's front and back. Besides, it's not like I can't buy component speakers later when I'm ready (probably in a few months, when I have the cash to buy my external amp and sub).

My goal right now is to get a sound system going that'll be as good as or better than the Bose and have all of the features I'm looking at (head unit I'm getting has a built in EQ, mp3 cd playback, and I'm getting a 12-disc changer). The speakers aren't quite an after thought, but out of everything they're what I'm most willing to upgrade later.

Like I said, as long as I'm not taking a step down from the Bose quality I'm happy... and if I get to buy good speakers that'll sound a lot better than Bose, that's great.
Old 05-03-2002, 02:50 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Re: Speaker recommendations - close to or better than Bose?

Originally posted by Paradoxish
Hey everyone,

First of all, thanks for all the advice in my last thread in here. I think I've decided on the head unit and changer I'll be getting and I should be picking them up soon. Next thing I need to decide on are my interior speakers...

I'm replacing the Bose system (the head unit annoys me, I want more bass, and I want a 12 disc changer - that and I'm not as impressed as everyone else with the sound quality...) so I'm looking for speakers that should provide close to or better quality than the Bose. Right now I'll be powering the speakers from the head unit, but I'll be adding a seperate amp in a month or two when I have enough money to afford some good subs.

Here's my question: what should I expect to pay for interior speakers that will come close or rival the clarity of the Bose? I'm going to be dropping by a few stores to listen to speakers soon, but I want to find out in advance how much I should expect to pay (in the last thread it was suggested the price for mid-range speakers would be $70-90, but that seems off to me?).

Thanks again...
I hear the Infinity Kappa's are great speakers, but expensive and from what I heard from those that have the Kappa's, they seemed happy. I'm considering the Kappa's in the future myself
Old 05-03-2002, 09:47 PM

I have the Infinity Kappas up front and I like them a lot. They're clean and sound better than the Bose did previously
Old 05-04-2002, 06:57 AM

Can you guys explain to me what consist of components? Like, my car came with stock tweeters (are those components?) I have Boston Acoustic FX6 coaxils in the front and back. I tried that FADE thing to, but i didnt like it. Having them all centered sounds best to me. Plus, i am going to have a Kenwood 648s amp powering all 4 speakers.

just my 2 cents and a question

thanks

bryan
Old 05-04-2002, 07:36 AM

I have Infinity kappas up front and in the rear. They are by far the best sounding speakers i have heard.
Old 05-04-2002, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by jag5311
Can you guys explain to me what consist of components? Like, my car came with stock tweeters (are those components?) I have Boston Acoustic FX6 coaxils in the front and back. I tried that FADE thing to, but i didnt like it. Having them all centered sounds best to me. Plus, i am going to have a Kenwood 648s amp powering all 4 speakers.
Components are when the tweeter is not connected to the woofer, but is separate. Ie. The stock Bose is components because the tweeter is high in the door and the woofer is low in the door. The fade thing may not sound good depending on your speakers, or how you are used to hearing your music. If your used to bad sound, hearing good sound will sound bad to you.You have a feeling about how your car should sound, and that is what you want to hear. How ever you like your sound, that is how you should listen to it. I would however suggest putting the fade 1 notch forward from what you are used to and give it just one day. You need to leave it on that setting and exit your car for a few hrs and then go back and listen to it so you are not biased by having just heard the car at the old setting you have engraved in your mind as being best. You may be able to retune you earsin this way. If you go and just change your fade to +4 in the front you WILL hate it because it is just too much of a deviation from the normal. Small changes at a time. Also, what is your treble and bass at. When you fade forward you may have to turn up the treble a notch or two to compensate for the lack of treble that was coming from the back.
Old 05-04-2002, 09:41 AM

Im using the FOCAL 165HC's in the rear.......off deck power, and they SCREAM for the peeps in the back.....but are NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, to the SQ and sound and midbass that my FOCAL 165K comp set put, but then again, they are NOTHING to the price of those either.....LOL.

If your going coax's I suggest the 165HC's, they sound great and since the sensitivity on them is high they get the most of the power they are supplied.
Old 05-04-2002, 03:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I recommend the Polk EX series for components....You can check out crutchfield.com for more info.
Old 05-05-2002, 03:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by gramenis
I recommend the Polk EX series for components....You can check out crutchfield.com for more info.

I have the bose system. IS it the system or just the speakers or head unit. What do you guys think of just putting in new components in the front? Think it would be any better?
Old 05-05-2002, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by Smitty1269

I have the bose system. IS it the system or just the speakers or head unit. What do you guys think of just putting in new components in the front? Think it would be any better?
Replace everything, you can't just pull out the old speakers without adding a few other things. Check the FAQ...
Old 05-05-2002, 08:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Focal

I have the Focal Utopias 165W for the fronts, and the Focal Polyglass 165V for the rears, with the tweeter mounted on the rear pillar and they sound incredible. They just ask for more. Before I had the Eclipse coaxials and then the pointsource, but they don't even compare to Focals. Definately worth the money!! Ask anyone who went to the Stillen open house if they liked the way they sounded...
Old 05-06-2002, 07:54 AM
jmax

Originally posted by Smitty1269

The bose amp won't work with conventional speakers. I am pretty sure you can't replace just the speakers. Unless there is an adapter for just that.

Old 05-11-2002, 07:38 AM
OG and counting...

I agree with Tony that the Focals are a very nice and clear speaker. Other speakers I would recommend are:

JL Audio XR-650-CX
JL Audio VR-650-CX
Boston Acoustics FX6 (I had these in my '94 and they sounded nice)
Eclipse
Infinity Kappa Series
a/d/s
Diamond Audio
CDT
Alpine
Old 05-11-2002, 11:03 PM

I can say that I love the new Polk EX3 components, and the Polk GXR coaxoials... They are GREAT sounding speakers...you can also get the Polk EX3 coaxoials for the rear, but I went for the cheaper ones because the rear speakers dont do that much, and the GXR's sounded very good.... Obviously there are better speakers, if you have the money.....But Polk's are great....