Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

How is this material on sound deadening?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 08:51 AM

How is this material on sound deadening?

I know there is Ramm matt and Dynamat (just used some for my license plate) but i wanted to know how well that soft cone/egg shell looking foam works for sound deadening. When you open the trunk, and the lid that goes up, there is that material that covers the bottom of the lid. Well, i was tapping on it and it was making some loud noises, because i want to make the littlest amount of rattling in my trunk. So, i thought i could take some of that eggshell foam, maybe about 1/2 inch thick and apply it to the whole lid part, then recover it with that material that comes with the maxima. I hope that wasn't too confusing.

What are the most common places rattles come from in the trunk? There is another area that is just to the right of the back left tire and its in a box, but i noticed it has a rattle inside it when bass hits, kinda annoying, anyone else have that problem.

thanks

bryan
Old 05-09-2002, 10:55 AM
FJC

Re: How is this material on sound deadening?

Originally posted by jag5311
I know there is Ramm matt and Dynamat (just used some for my license plate) but i wanted to know how well that soft cone/egg shell looking foam works for sound deadening. When you open the trunk, and the lid that goes up, there is that material that covers the bottom of the lid. Well, i was tapping on it and it was making some loud noises, because i want to make the littlest amount of rattling in my trunk. So, i thought i could take some of that eggshell foam, maybe about 1/2 inch thick and apply it to the whole lid part, then recover it with that material that comes with the maxima. I hope that wasn't too confusing.

What are the most common places rattles come from in the trunk? There is another area that is just to the right of the back left tire and its in a box, but i noticed it has a rattle inside it when bass hits, kinda annoying, anyone else have that problem.

thanks

If it's what I'm thinking of, than the Dynamat will work better for your purpose. It is pretty dense and used in IASCA competitions for sound deadening. It works but it's expensive.

bryan
Old 05-09-2002, 11:11 AM
Disco Biscuit

Foam will absorb sound, but will not kill rattles. Dynamat and RAAMmat will kill rattles but will not absorb sound. They are best used together.
Old 05-09-2002, 12:08 PM

I would think if the foam is absorbing the sound and bass, then how would it cause rattles. Keep in mind here, i have only 1 10 inch subwoofer, so its not like i am booming the hell out of my trunk. That is why i thought spending a smaller amount of money on foam i could probably get from Lowes rather then spending 125 bucks on a dynamat trunk kit.

Let me know if that changes your perspective

thanks
bryan
Old 05-09-2002, 12:32 PM

you can find "peel and seal" at lowes. it's in the roofing section. exact same stuff as dynamat, etc. though it's a little thinner, a couple layers of it would work.

as for the egg crate foam stuff, i believe they use it to eliminate resonance and cancellation. the peaks and troughs in the foam, will reflect the waves in different directions. well, that's what i think i've heard. it makes sense to me.
Old 05-09-2002, 03:02 PM

So, is that a YEA or NAY for the foam egg idea. What about just standard foam that doesnt have the egg stuff?

thanks
bryan
Old 05-09-2002, 03:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by jag5311
So, is that a YEA or NAY for the foam egg idea. What about just standard foam that doesnt have the egg stuff?

thanks
bryan
The foam cones are used in studios for sound-proofing (I work as an engineer). I'm not sure EXACTLY what effect it would have on the sound in your trunk but I assume it would lower your SPL considerably without killing the rattle. I suggest dynamat...a couple layers. Have you thought of using Stinger Roadkill spray?

What do you guys think?

Mike
Old 05-09-2002, 07:29 PM
FJC

Originally posted by mikemusica

The foam cones are used in studios for sound-proofing (I work as an engineer). I'm not sure EXACTLY what effect it would have on the sound in your trunk but I assume it would lower your SPL considerably without killing the rattle. I suggest dynamat...a couple layers. Have you thought of using Stinger Roadkill spray?

What do you guys think?

Mike
It would absorb the Sound Pressure Level
Old 05-10-2002, 01:20 PM

Have you tried ebay for dynamat? bought a trunk kit for $60 the other day. Since the guy selling was near me I picked up the kit and saved on shipping.
Old 05-10-2002, 08:48 PM

Peal&Seal is only $12 for 12.5 sq. ft., and it does the exact same thing
Old 05-10-2002, 10:31 PM

Do you just cover the entire trunk lid then? do you pick certain parts, because there are areas i don't know how to get to that may make rattles

what are the most common areas of rattles?
Old 05-10-2002, 10:33 PM

You could also make sure all the trunk hardware is nice and tight
Old 05-11-2002, 05:24 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mikemusica
[B]

What do you guys think?

Stinger Roadkill isnt available right now....The company that made it for Stinger stopped making it for awhile. Try Cascading your trunk.The company is called "CAE" and the spray is "Quiet Kote" I use it on nearly all of my installs (if the customer pays) and I never had a problem. The drying time is extensive (4 hrs) but well worth it.

--my $.02