Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Poor FM reception?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 07:58 PM

Poor FM reception?

I ditched the Bose and went with an Eclipse HU. I used a two-prong antenna adapter to the normal banana jack. I doubt anything is wrong with the HU & I get horrible FM reception. I'm comparing the current reception with what I got with the Bose and every other stereo I've before.

Is this normal because of the type of antenna on the Max?

Tony
Old 05-23-2002, 08:01 PM

I have the same problem!!! I had the non-Bose system in the ride before and the FM reception was good. Now the reception is CRAP!!! IF you figure anyhting out please let me know. I have an Eclipse as well. The CD8051 to be exact.
Old 05-23-2002, 08:08 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

I have the Eclipse CD8061, Ive had very little problems. There are some, but being that you lose the Diversity antenna system when you change can cause it. Blah just upgrade to XM if ya really listen to "radio" that much.
Old 05-23-2002, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by Pearl96Max
I have the Eclipse CD8061, Ive had very little problems. There are some, but being that you lose the Diversity antenna system when you change can cause it. Blah just upgrade to XM if ya really listen to "radio" that much.
So you can't use the stock antenna to its full potential because I'm now using an aftermarket HU? Is there any other adapter out there that works better?

Main problem is driving out of the area. When I use the seek function the stereo picks up ZERO stations, no matter how strong they are. If I manually search .2 Mghz at a time, I find them eventually. But try doing that in rush hour traffic.

Tony
Old 05-24-2002, 05:42 AM

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes

So you can't use the stock antenna to its full potential because I'm now using an aftermarket HU? Is there any other adapter out there that works better?

Main problem is driving out of the area. When I use the seek function the stereo picks up ZERO stations, no matter how strong they are. If I manually search .2 Mghz at a time, I find them eventually. But try doing that in rush hour traffic.

Tony
I had the same problem. I have a Pioneer 7400 and had crappy reception. You have to take the Power antenna wire that is not being used from the wiring harnessand connect it to the System Control wire off the HU. You should have luck with this.
Old 05-24-2002, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by mikec22

I had the same problem. I have a Pioneer 7400 and had crappy reception. You have to take the Power antenna wire that is not being used from the wiring harnessand connect it to the System Control wire off the HU. You should have luck with this.
You mean the wire that controls the automatic motorized anntenna that we don't have? I'm confused!

Tony
Old 05-24-2002, 01:21 PM

I know nothing about fifth gens but maybe the antenna is amplified and you need that wire to send the signal to power it up
Old 05-24-2002, 09:48 PM

Ok, here it goes. This made me think when i was told this, but this the fix. The maximas have two antennas, one in the front and one in the back of the car. The Power antenna obviously does not allow the antenna to come up, because there is none. What it is, is that conected to the antenna's are amplifiers. While driving, both antennas are active, and the one that picks up the signal the strongest carries it. The rear antenna is the stonger them both. On the Remote managment cable coming off the HU, you cut of the connector and splice it to the Power antenna wire (should be blue) coming off the added harness. Also, you will lose you Trip controls. To fix this on a 2K2 Maxima, there is an extra harness that is not being used coming out of the car (this is for non-Bose systems). There is a brown/white wire within it. That wire either needs to be cut from it, of have a wire spiced into it, and then grounded. I have not tryed this one yet, but i was told it works. Just remember that your audio control Will be lost, you will have to buy a product manufactured by PAC that will allow this to be used. Good Luck, let me know how things go.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:53 PM

YAY I was close
Old 05-25-2002, 12:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yep..bascially when you unplug your factory headunit..and plug your harness into it make sure to power up your "power antenna" wire.
Old 05-25-2002, 03:36 AM

On the Remote managment cable coming off the HU, you cut of the connector and splice it to the Power antenna wire (should be blue) coming off the added harness.
What is the remote management cable? I already have a PAC kit that allows me to use my steering wheel controls on my Eclipse HU. What wire specifically am I supposed to connect to my power antenna lead off of the HU? I'm a little lost.

Tony
Old 05-25-2002, 07:20 AM

I have an 88 maxima and I got the same problem. For a quick fix, I went to K-Mart which is having their going-out-of-business sale and bought an am/fm signal amplifier for about 7 bucks. It's really helped out a lot, but it's still not the same as the real deal. So it's just a temp fix for now.
Old 05-25-2002, 08:11 AM

You connect the Remote management to the power antenna wire coming off the harness from the radio. You may have a different wire with you Eclipse HU..This is what had to be done with my Pioneer 7400
Old 05-25-2002, 12:25 PM

You connect the Remote management to the power antenna wire coming off the harness from the radio. You may have a different wire with you Eclipse HU..This is what had to be done with my Pioneer 7400
I've never heard of the term "remote management". I know I have a power antenna lead off of my head unit. I just don't know what to hook it up to. What wire do I connect with the power antenna lead (usually blue) off of my HU? What does the remote management wire look like? What does it do?

Thanks,

Tony
Old 05-28-2002, 05:38 AM

As I said in my first post, I am in the same boat as Tony here. When I had my Eclipse installed the reception turned to absolute crap!! Stations that used to come in clear and rock solid, now waver and are very fuzzy. Is the description that mikec gave a few posts back the solution??

I would also like to know about the PAC kit. Price? Any trouble installing it? I would love to be able to use my factory controls on the Eclipse.
Old 05-28-2002, 07:16 AM

I have a 94 and with two different head units I have had horrible reception, like I had no antenna whatsoever. The antenna mast itself is new, and the tuner is new, so it has to have something to do with the wiring. Is powering the antenna wire the solution?
Old 05-31-2002, 07:07 AM

I'm going to try replacing the wire that connects the head unit and the power antenna itself.
Old 06-07-2002, 02:34 PM

Hey everyone, Igor911 found the answer in the 5th gen forum. It works great! Thanks Igor!!!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=124745

Tony
Old 06-11-2002, 07:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey everyone, Igor911 found the answer in the 5th gen forum. It works great! Thanks Igor!!!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=124745

Tony
How come no one answered the original question, what is the "remote management" wire?

I have the blue power antenna wire from my Pioneer HU, but no other blue wires unused. Which wire am I supposed to use??
Old 06-11-2002, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by Tanmann9

How come no one answered the original question, what is the "remote management" wire?

I have the blue power antenna wire from my Pioneer HU, but no other blue wires unused. Which wire am I supposed to use??
I think no one asnwered it because there is no such thing as the "remote management" wire...that I know of!

There should be a blue wire on the stock Bose wiring harness. This is the wire you need to connect to your power antenna wire from your HU. I assume you used an aftermarket wiring harness so you could hook your Pioneer HU up without cutting wires? The aftermarket harness should also have this blue wire. Mine even said "power antenna" on it.

Tony
Old 06-11-2002, 08:33 PM

I think no one asnwered it because there is no such thing as the "remote management" wire...that I know of!

There should be a blue wire on the stock Bose wiring harness. This is the wire you need to connect to your power antenna wire from your HU. I assume you used an aftermarket wiring harness so you could hook your Pioneer HU up without cutting wires? The aftermarket harness should also have this blue wire. Mine even said "power antenna" on it.

Tony
Thanks for the info, but I didn't have a Bose unit, I had the stock SE stereo. My aftermarket HU has a wiring harness with the blue "power antenna" wire. Where do I connect this to for the fix?
Old 06-12-2002, 01:58 AM

Thanks for the info, but I didn't have a Bose unit, I had the stock SE stereo. My aftermarket HU has a wiring harness with the blue "power antenna" wire. Where do I connect this to for the fix?
What kind of wires do you have coming from the stock Nissan stereo harness? Did you hook up your HU into the corresponding wires that came from the Nissan harness? Wires like ground, constant power, acc power, etc?

It's possible this fix won't work with you. Do you have the special antenna that's built into the rear window like my SE/AE w/ Bose?

Tony
Old 06-12-2002, 06:10 AM

What kind of wires do you have coming from the stock Nissan stereo harness? Did you hook up your HU into the corresponding wires that came from the Nissan harness? Wires like ground, constant power, acc power, etc?

It's possible this fix won't work with you. Do you have the special antenna that's built into the rear window like my SE/AE w/ Bose?

Tony
Well I've got the 2000 SE, so I guess I don't have the special antenna? Is it a special feature of the Bose system or the AE or what?
Old 06-12-2002, 08:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

this's hilarious..i made a post in the 5th gen forums asking about aftermarket hu install and everybody flamed my friend, saying he didn't know what the heck he was doing...and now i see other 5th genners having problems.

and nobody asked "so what went wrong?" or "what was the fix?"

dunno...just feels weird.

props to mikec22 for your informative post

Jae
Old 06-12-2002, 10:11 AM
OG and counting...

Since I have an Eclipse, I am going to make sure that the installers do that little trick with the power antenna wire to make sure I get good reception.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by PrinzII
Since I have an Eclipse, I am going to make sure that the installers do that little trick with the power antenna wire to make sure I get good reception.
You might want to check to see if the blue wire is there.
Old 06-12-2002, 01:41 PM

Well I've got the 2000 SE, so I guess I don't have the special antenna? Is it a special feature of the Bose system or the AE or what?
I'm not exactly sure. I think it's a Bose feature. What kind of radio antenna do you have?

Tony
Old 06-12-2002, 05:30 PM

I'm not exactly sure. I think it's a Bose feature. What kind of radio antenna do you have?

Tony
Just the antenna built into the back window glass, or whatever comes standard on the 2000 SE.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:29 PM

Just the antenna built into the back window glass, or whatever comes standard on the 2000 SE.
As far as I know, and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the same antenna everyone else has. Apparently this antenna system needs power to function correctly. This is accomplished by hooking up the power antenna wires.

I assume when you took out the stock Nissan stereo you still had a bunch of wires back there with the stock wiring-pin connector. Then, I assume again, that you purchased an aftermarket wiring harness (adapter) that plugged into the connector left over from the old stereo. You hopefully then used the bare wires from your aftermarket adapter to run your new stereo. One of these wires should be blue or blue/white. One should be a remote wire for your amp(s) and the other should be a power antenna wire. It may or may not say this on the wires themselves, but more likely with any literature (or on the packaging itself) that came with the adapter. Just connect this wire to the power antenna wire from your new HU.

Tony
Old 06-15-2002, 01:49 PM

Boyz,
I own a 98 so this only applies to this application.
I had the same problem with an Alpine 7878. Bad reception!!
I took the Nissan adaptor and replugged it in 180 degrees from the starting orientation and viola!! Now my reception is worthy o an 800 dollar indash.

The adaptor only connects one Nisaan pin to thr Motorola side. Otherwise the weakest signal would govern. Anybody with this dual diversity srtup has a 50% chance of hooking up the window instead of the mast.

If this doesnt fix it your on your own.