Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

2K2 BOSE Speaker Swap Poss. ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 07:16 PM

2K2 BOSE Speaker Swap Poss. ?

I know know that I can swap out the 2K2 tweeters to aftermarket for better sound. Does anyone know, can we swap out the door speakers the same way? I'd LOVE to pay like 200-300 bucks for completely improved sound, and minimal installation. You guys think it would make a difference?
Old 05-30-2002, 01:52 AM

Re: 2K2 BOSE Speaker Swap Poss. ?

Originally posted by Neal728
I know know that I can swap out the 2K2 tweeters to aftermarket for better sound. Does anyone know, can we swap out the door speakers the same way? I'd LOVE to pay like 200-300 bucks for completely improved sound, and minimal installation. You guys think it would make a difference?
If you are taking about replacing the stock speakers (6.5s) for aftermarket, then yes it can be done. I had to order the BOSE speaker brackets and I just stuck the speaker wires to the factory speaker harness. Since I installed a JL component set with an alpine head unit, I ran my own tweeter wires to the x-over. Then I installed the stereo harness and used the speaker wires from the harness and ran them to the x-over. Then I used the speaker wires that are from the alpine harness and ran those to the x-over as well. Normally you hook up the speaker wires from the stereo harness to the alpine harness but since Nissan used a multi-pin connector at the end of the rubber boot at the door, it made it difficult to do it any other way. This is the method I used to install the front speakers with an aftermarket headunit. What do you want or plan on doing to your sound system?
Old 05-30-2002, 11:18 AM

I was just pondering keeping the HU and amp, and just switching out the speakers. The door speakers suck. I was thinking probably component set in the front doors and a pillars and 5 1/4 in the rear doors. What do u think?
Old 05-30-2002, 12:01 PM

I was just pondering keeping the HU and amp, and just switching out the speakers. The door speakers suck. I was thinking probably component set in the front doors and a pillars and 5 1/4 in the rear doors. What do u think?
Well, Im no expert, but I have heard that when you change certain things on the Bose system that you have to change everything. You might want to ask around. If you are just going to change the speakers then maybe you can. If you are going to add a component set and keeping the head unit and amp then just plug your speakers into the stock harness. I did not want to cut any of the harnesses because I plan on going back to stock (if I decide to get a diffrent car). Instead of pluging your tweeter wire intothe stock harness, like I did did with the 6.5s just run them to the x-over. From the amp run wires to the x-over. And if the stock 6.5s are hooked up to the amp, take them off and run them to the amp. I am not sure about the wiring of the BOSE system. Ask around and see what some of the members with Bose systems say. Tony Fernandes has a nice merlot max that had the Bose. Ask him to see what he says. Also if you know the wiring of the Bose let me know and maybe we ca come up with something. For instance were are the speaker wire going to, amp or the Bose head unit? I imagine the amp but I just want to make sure. Sorry I wasn't any help.
Old 05-30-2002, 01:13 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking that components in front, nice set of coax in rear, and maybe a sub later on would work. Would 2 2channel amps work better for this or one 4 channel?
Old 05-30-2002, 05:36 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking that components in front, nice set of coax in rear, and maybe a sub later on would work. Would 2 2channel amps work better for this or one 4 channel?
Well thats all up to you on how much you want to spend and what your preference is. If you want to amplify both the front and rear speakers then whatever is less expensive between (2)two channel amps or a 4 channel amp. But then there is the issue of space and since you mention you want a sub later on then that you mean the possibility of 3 amps. i have a hifonics amp and wired the left speakers (front and rear) in parallel and the same with the other side. BTW the hifonics amp is two channels. Worked good. If I wanted to do what you are planning then I would think about a 4 channel amp. Again it's all about what you prefer. My advice is this, research, ask questions, see what the prices are and research again.