Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

What do you think of this system???

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002, 06:41 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

What do you think of this system???

Pioneer DEH-P92000 headunit - 250$ (already have)

-DEI 3065 Neodymium components - 230$
-Kicker K65 Coaxials for rear fill - 85$ (already have)
-Image Dynamics IDQ 12" D2 - 130$
-Phoenix Gold Tantrum T600.4 - 340$

So that's an additional 700$ to finish the stereo.. i'll attempt at building the box myself.. anything else i may need? I already have an AMP wiring kit..

I want to run the rear speakers off the headunit and power the DEIs with 2 channels and bridge 2 channels to the IDQ amp.. would that work out?

Only one thing is iffy to me, the PG amp is rated at 30W x 4 at 4ohm.. and 150W x 4 at 2ohm? (could be a typo at carmedia1.com) then 300W bridged. how do i power my components? wouldn't 30W per speaker be too little and 150W be too much? How does this work? (again, could be a typo)

Otherwise,
what do you think of the setup? The Amp is the only thing that I'm not certain about.. I feel that a single 4 channel amp that puts out around 75W per channel would be good for me, so I can bridge 2 channels to the sub.. and possibly later, when/if I decide to upgrade rear speakers to something else, i can power all 4 interior speakers by the amp and get an additional 1 for the sub.... what do you guys think?

thanks
Old 06-06-2002, 07:13 PM

I agree with you, the amp needs to be changed!!
Old 06-06-2002, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by ThumpinMaxima
I agree with you, the amp needs to be changed!!
To what?
Old 06-07-2002, 02:05 AM

Well, as for the amp, I'd either spend an extra $40 for the PPI 480 or go with seperate amps. For $340 you can get two very good amps. I doubt that you will want to upgrade your interior speakers before you upgrade your sub or add another. If you get a JBL 300.1 and a 80.4 (160Wx2 bridged @ 4ohm) you'd pay a lot less (I think these are less that $150 each shipped from ikesound.com)and would probably be a lot louder. I know nothing about those components but I've read that they are excellent and with over 100 watts going to them I don't think you'll ever feel the need to upgrade your rears. I'm giving my Polk MOMO components 80W RMS and they keep up very well with my IDMAX with a JBL 1200.1 running it, and I haven't heard nearly as many good things about the MOMO when compared to DEI components. If you do decide to get seperate amps you'd need a distro block so you can hook up both amps.
Old 06-07-2002, 04:40 AM

When in doubt

NYCe MaXiMa,

http://www.phoenixgold.com/ta_600/ta_specs_600.html

When you go to the source you'll see that that amp ia a nominal 75W @4 ohms per channel, double that at a 2 ohm load.

dave
Old 06-07-2002, 07:19 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Re: What do you think of this system???

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
Pioneer DEH-P92000 headunit - 250$ (already have)

-DEI 3065 Neodymium components - 230$
-Kicker K65 Coaxials for rear fill - 85$ (already have)
-Image Dynamics IDQ 12" D2 - 130$
-Phoenix Gold Tantrum T600.4 - 340$

So that's an additional 700$ to finish the stereo.. i'll attempt at building the box myself.. anything else i may need? I already have an AMP wiring kit..

I want to run the rear speakers off the headunit and power the DEIs with 2 channels and bridge 2 channels to the IDQ amp.. would that work out?

Only one thing is iffy to me, the PG amp is rated at 30W x 4 at 4ohm.. and 150W x 4 at 2ohm? (could be a typo at carmedia1.com) then 300W bridged. how do i power my components? wouldn't 30W per speaker be too little and 150W be too much? How does this work? (again, could be a typo)

Otherwise,
what do you think of the setup? The Amp is the only thing that I'm not certain about.. I feel that a single 4 channel amp that puts out around 75W per channel would be good for me, so I can bridge 2 channels to the sub.. and possibly later, when/if I decide to upgrade rear speakers to something else, i can power all 4 interior speakers by the amp and get an additional 1 for the sub.... what do you guys think?

thanks
Do the xovers on the comps have a rear fill output? this would help you alot. The you would run the full comps off the amp
Old 06-09-2002, 10:04 PM

Pearlmax, i have no idea about the crossovers
i'll look this up..

As far as the amp..
People reccomend all sorts of stuff.... Everyone mentions JBL for some reason.. i guess they are good like that huh? I thought of JBL as a bullsh-t brand lol.. Most definately I can get 2 amps and fit my budget and power everything with them though....

any more info or feedback is much appreciated
Old 06-09-2002, 10:22 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

i'll look this up..

As far as the amp..
People reccomend all sorts of stuff.... Everyone mentions JBL for some reason.. i guess they are good like that huh? I thought of JBL as a bullsh-t brand lol.. Most definately I can get 2 amps and fit my budget and power everything with them though....

Alot of people are talking about the JBLs because they are a more "bang for your buck" amp. They arent comp or real SQ as opposed to power to dollar ratio. What actually is the budget/slash power range that you are looking to be in? BTW your local (NJ/NY)right? If your not too far you should come down....
Old 06-09-2002, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by Pearl96Max

Alot of people are talking about the JBLs because they are a more "bang for your buck" amp. They arent comp or real SQ as opposed to power to dollar ratio. What actually is the budget/slash power range that you are looking to be in? BTW your local (NJ/NY)right? If your not too far you should come down....
yes. i'm in Staten Island, NYC.

THe price range/budget/power range is the following:

-4 channel amp
-around 75W per channel.. so I can bridge 2 to the sub and run my components up front off the other 2 channels.. powering my rear deck speakers off the HU... this way, when I get more $ to play with later and decide to upgrade further, I'll just power all my interior speakers with that same amp and get a seperate one for the sub(s).

As far as the budget.... i'd really like to spend as little as possible but i obviously can't get a nice amp for 100$.. I would go as high as 400$ if needed.... but i'd like to spend like 350$ or so..
Old 06-09-2002, 11:21 PM

I haven't heard of anyone complaining about the SQ of the JBL amps (at least from people who actually own the amp). I have mine hooked up to my IDMAX and it sounds great. I've also heard a set of comps running off a JBL and they didn't sound bad at all. They may be geared more towards raw power, but to my ears they sound just as good as most of the amps on the market and the price can't be beat.

Originally posted by Pearl96Max

Old 06-09-2002, 11:26 PM

Yes, there a a ton of car audio companies out there and a lot of good brands, everyone has a favorite. The JBLs are definately good amps. If you want some more info you could browse some car audio websites/forums. www.termpro.com , www.sounddomain.com, and www.elitecaraudio.com all have large forums where you can learn about current equipment.

i'll look this up..

As far as the amp..

Old 06-09-2002, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by Gates
Yes, there a a ton of car audio companies out there and a lot of good brands, everyone has a favorite. The JBLs are definately good amps. If you want some more info you could browse some car audio websites/forums. www.termpro.com , www.sounddomain.com, and www.elitecaraudio.com all have large forums where you can learn about current equipment.

yea, i've been lurking around those forums and others for a while now JBL is reccomended by many for the budget.. but i see that at the moment, i rather spend more and get a better single amp.. later i'll get a seperate one for the sub.. I just want the best for the price and what i want
Old 06-09-2002, 11:59 PM

Yeah, if you want a good 4 channel check out PPI. They make great multi-channel amps.

yea, i've been lurking around those forums and others for a while now JBL is reccomended by many for the budget.. but i see that at the moment, i rather spend more and get a better single amp.. later i'll get a seperate one for the sub.. I just want the best for the price and what i want
Old 06-10-2002, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by Gates
Yeah, if you want a good 4 channel check out PPI. They make great multi-channel amps.