Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Need opinions on Kenwood head units

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 03:45 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Need opinions on Kenwood head units

OK so I am working out a deal with someone to get a new headunit. I am trading some computer stuff I have for a KDC-X859 + 40 or a KDC-X959 even.

Any thoughts on the 2 pros and cons of each.

I like the fact that the x959 has the organic EL display and I can store my own pictures but I also like how the 859 is a d mask.

Does anyone have the x959 if so are you pleased with it?

Thanks,
Old 06-09-2002, 09:49 PM

I dont have the model number for reference, but its a a single DIN CD player with a nice display. My friend had it in car and it broke on him several times, had to take it repaired under wtty. If you ever get Kenwood stuff, dont buy used, buy only new and get extended wtty.
Old 06-10-2002, 03:52 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
I dont have the model number for reference, but its a a single DIN CD player with a nice display. My friend had it in car and it broke on him several times, had to take it repaired under wtty. If you ever get Kenwood stuff, dont buy used, buy only new and get extended wtty.
yeah, its new he will get it from tweeter(where he works) I will not have a lot of money tied up in the unit because of the trade I am doing.

I have a kenwood double din in my 90 GXE and havent had one single problem out of it(had it for 3 years now). I guess every company makes a lemon sometimes.

I will not own another Sony though because I have had 4 and they all had problems mostly with the cd mech...the new stuff may be better but I am through taking another chance with sony hoping they dont have problems.

Now back on the subject of the 2 radios. I think I am going to get the 859 even though it doesnt have the cool OEL display. The main 2 reasons are...1. the 959 is a flip down face which means it would stick out some (I know I could make it flush mount but it still wouldnt look right). and 2. the 959 inverts the screen every 10 seconds---goes from black background and blue writing to blue background and black writing which would get really annoying and it isnt defeatable like the Pioneers.

I really like the d mask style radios and the 859 has a **** for the volume instead of buttons which is a plus for me too.

anyway thanks for the reply.
Old 06-10-2002, 04:33 PM
Mauja He Mauja

i have a KDC-9015. I have had it for 2 years, bought it new from sbhstereo.com. i love it. it has a nice display, and many nice features. i have never had any problems, and it has never skipped. the graphics are very nice as well.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by awsm66

yeah, its new he will get it from tweeter(where he works) I will not have a lot of money tied up in the unit because of the trade I am doing.

I have a kenwood double din in my 90 GXE and havent had one single problem out of it(had it for 3 years now). I guess every company makes a lemon sometimes.

I will not own another Sony though because I have had 4 and they all had problems mostly with the cd mech...the new stuff may be better but I am through taking another chance with sony hoping they dont have problems.

Now back on the subject of the 2 radios. I think I am going to get the 859 even though it doesnt have the cool OEL display. The main 2 reasons are...1. the 959 is a flip down face which means it would stick out some (I know I could make it flush mount but it still wouldnt look right). and 2. the 959 inverts the screen every 10 seconds---goes from black background and blue writing to blue background and black writing which would get really annoying and it isnt defeatable like the Pioneers.

I really like the d mask style radios and the 859 has a **** for the volume instead of buttons which is a plus for me too.

anyway thanks for the reply.
I have had quite a few Kenwood HUs over the past 10 years or so. I love them. Out of all the ones that I have had, I had one that was just a lemon, I guess you could say. The motor on the MASK part broke once and I sent it off and got it repaired. When itgot back, I had it about 2 months and the display went dead.

I have a MP919 now and I absolutely love it. Even though I have had problems in the past with a single Kenwood unit, I would still recommend them to anyone.

C.D.
Old 06-12-2002, 02:42 PM

I have a Kenwood MP3 player. After a few months it started skipping really badly and the sound quality isn't too good either.
Old 06-12-2002, 03:37 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally posted by abnorm
I have a Kenwood MP3 player. After a few months it started skipping really badly and the sound quality isn't too good either.
Perhaps you can send it back to kenwood, if it's still under warranty, to get it fixed or they will replace it.