Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Alpine HU audio question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 12:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Alpine HU audio question?

Would this head unit be over kill for my stock bose speakers? It's the the Alpine CDA-7897.
Old 06-10-2002, 12:25 PM
I'm so hood

If you are using the stock bose speakers with an aftermarket head unit, there's two possible ways I could think of to make it work. The first being buying the adaptor to simply make the speakers work with the HU. In this case your head unit would not be powering the speakers - the stock amps still would.

The second would be running fresh speaker wire from the HU directly to the bose speakers, bypassing the amps/active EQs. From what I can imagine, this would be undesirable, since the Bose speakers are still paper-coned speakers, with any quality in sound coming from the fact that they receive amp power and are frequency tuned by the active eqs. I don't know that this is the case, but you can be sure they wouldn't sound as good as they did stock, which to me isn't that good anyway.
Old 06-10-2002, 12:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by blizz20oma
If you are using the stock bose speakers with an aftermarket head unit, there's two possible ways I could think of to make it work. The first being buying the adaptor to simply make the speakers work with the HU. In this case your head unit would not be powering the speakers - the stock amps still would.

The second would be running fresh speaker wire from the HU directly to the bose speakers, bypassing the amps/active EQs. From what I can imagine, this would be undesirable, since the Bose speakers are still paper-coned speakers, with any quality in sound coming from the fact that they receive amp power and are frequency tuned by the active eqs. I don't know that this is the case, but you can be sure they wouldn't sound as good as they did stock, which to me isn't that good anyway.
I plan to use the bose adapter, thanks for the response.
Old 06-10-2002, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by blizz20oma
Don't forget that the Bose speakers are somewhere between 1-2 ohms and most aftermarket and stock speakers are 4 ohms. This = trouble. If you absolutely must use the stock speakers you will need to get an adapter and continue to use the Bose amps.Why one would do this is beyond me because the deck then becomes useless giving the buyer nothing more than looks with little in terms of performance gain for the primary 4 speakers. The option to hookup some subs is gained, but if your going to go the sun route why not do it right and get new speakers as well.