Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Good amp-less system in a 2K2 W/O Bose

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 12:36 AM

Good amp-less system in a 2K2 W/O Bose

I've finally had enough with the crappy Clarion paper speakers in my 2002 SE and decided that they must be replaced. My ideal/realistic system is to have the highest quality speakers I can in the stock locations. I absolutely cannot have any subwoofer in the trunk. I value every cubic inch of trunk space that I have. Also, I'd like to have something that I dont *have* to have an external amplifier with (keeping the stock H/U no ifs, ands, or buts). I did a search on crutchfield and found a set of Kenwood Excelon KFC-Xr71p component 6.75" speakers for the front and KFC-Xr601 6.5" coaxes for the rear. The sensitivity on these seems somewhat high (92 db on both) so I figured I could get away with running them off the stock deck for now. My goal is to have a clean and full sounding system. I in no way shape or form want to break sound pressure records, shatter windowns, or cause my passengers to throw up. Just something with some decent bass for music as well as a clean top end.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:05 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Good amp-less system in a 2K2 W/O Bose

Originally posted by Maximus1000
I've finally had enough with the crappy Clarion paper speakers in my 2002 SE and decided that they must be replaced. My ideal/realistic system is to have the highest quality speakers I can in the stock locations. I absolutely cannot have any subwoofer in the trunk. I value every cubic inch of trunk space that I have. Also, I'd like to have something that I dont *have* to have an external amplifier with (keeping the stock H/U no ifs, ands, or buts). I did a search on crutchfield and found a set of Kenwood Excelon KFC-Xr71p component 6.75" speakers for the front and KFC-Xr601 6.5" coaxes for the rear. The sensitivity on these seems somewhat high (92 db on both) so I figured I could get away with running them off the stock deck for now. My goal is to have a clean and full sounding system. I in no way shape or form want to break sound pressure records, shatter windowns, or cause my passengers to throw up. Just something with some decent bass for music as well as a clean top end.

I know you said no subwoofer in the trunk, but I don't think you realize what your passing up.

I installed an Infinity BassLink in the small pocket on the drivers' side behind the wheel well. I use this vehicle for 100% travel and it is ALWAYS loaded to the gills with luggage, so space is at a premium. Anyways, it's PLENTY of bass for $199.95+19.95 shipping off ebay. The store now is actually throwing in the LC Bass remote(allows bass adjustments from drivers' seat) for around $210 total. I paid an additional $30 for the LC remote.

BTW, it weighs less than 20 lbs. total, contains a 10" sealed woofer and a 200-Watt RMS amp, all in a reasonable small package.

I'll have some pics in a week or two hopefully. I'm still working out some rattles, before I finish the install and take pics.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:08 AM

I'll consider that. Another idea I was thinking of was putting an 8" sub where the Bose sub is in the rear parcel shelf. Heck, I can even find a used Bose sub grille to make it look stock. Has anybody contemplated doing that. Ofcourse my first priority is to upgrade the stock speakers. Does my setup choice look pretty good without external amplification?
Old 06-11-2002, 01:21 AM

I'll consider that. Another idea I was thinking of was putting an 8" sub where the Bose sub is in the rear parcel shelf. Heck, I can even find a used Bose sub grille to make it look stock. Has anybody contemplated doing that. Ofcourse my first priority is to upgrade the stock speakers. Does my setup choice look pretty good without external amplification?
I'd go with a woofer in the trunk, I've heard free air subs and they don't sound that good IMO.

What don't you like about the stock speakers?

I notice now with the sub, that I need a little more mid bass, but I think that's only because I'm using the stock deck speaker level outputs(no RCAs) to provide a signal to the BassLink. So, I turn the bass eq setting on the deck real low. Once, I get a new deck I will probably upgrade the doors too just for the hell of it though.

I've not had nor heard those speakers, so I can't give an opinion. However, I'm leaning towards the eXcelon line myself since the Infintity Kappas probably won't fit in the front doors in the 6-3/4" size, but the eXcelon will. Plus, I've had real good luck with my eXcelon deck in my other car, so I'm pretty much sold on the eXcelon brand and quality.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:26 AM

In a word, it just sounds cheap. I cant really describe it, but the car has no highs and no real lows. The stock tweets cant 'tweet' to save their life and the drivers only go down to maybe 100Hz. It makes some CDs sound like your listening to the radio.

I guess if I do a bass module of some sort, it would be the Basslink. I'm gonna start off swapping the stock speakers so I'll go from there. Who knows.....I may be one of the few happy with just a simple speaker swap.
Old 06-11-2002, 10:37 AM

In a word, it just sounds cheap. I cant really describe it, but the car has no highs and no real lows. The stock tweets cant 'tweet' to save their life and the drivers only go down to maybe 100Hz. It makes some CDs sound like your listening to the radio.

I guess if I do a bass module of some sort, it would be the Basslink. I'm gonna start off swapping the stock speakers so I'll go from there. Who knows.....I may be one of the few happy with just a simple speaker swap.
'no high's, no low's, its gotta be bose'

on a more serious note, having an amp doesnt automatically make it a lot louder. you could get a small amp, and that would actually improve the sq more than the output, just because it has better components inside.

eric
Old 06-11-2002, 11:03 AM

I spent 50 bucks on Pioneer tweeters and replaced the stocks. Man what a difference, my highs are awesome now! Just use the included capacitor and you'll be fine with em. A nice 50 buck upgrade that makes a world of difference. About the basslink, I thought you could patch the basslink right off of the wires leading to the BOSE sub. Then you could just remove that, and have a space for the bass from the trunk to travel through. Worked pretty well for me, I'm a LOT happier with the system, and the basslink can go from car to car nicely!
Old 06-11-2002, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by Neal728
I spent 50 bucks on Pioneer tweeters and replaced the stocks. Man what a difference, my highs are awesome now! Just use the included capacitor and you'll be fine with em. A nice 50 buck upgrade that makes a world of difference. About the basslink, I thought you could patch the basslink right off of the wires leading to the BOSE sub. Then you could just remove that, and have a space for the bass from the trunk to travel through. Worked pretty well for me, I'm a LOT happier with the system, and the basslink can go from car to car nicely!
What tweeters are those?

Also, did you have the BassLink before you removed the BOSE sub? If so, how much difference does the hole in the rear deck make with the BassLink?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth cutting a hole in my rear deck and using a Bose grille to cover it for a less "muffled" sound.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:31 PM

Re: ...

Originally posted by IceY2K1

What tweeters are those?

Also, did you have the BassLink before you removed the BOSE sub? If so, how much difference does the hole in the rear deck make with the BassLink?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth cutting a hole in my rear deck and using a Bose grille to cover it for a less "muffled" sound.
first off i wouldnt reccomend a ghetto tweet install...i dont mean that they physically werent installed properly. i mean that the impedances will be different between bose the the pio's, and there isnt a proper crossover on there.

second, i would cut that hole out, and not give it a second thought. as long as it looks factory, and lets bass thru, go for it.

eric
Old 06-11-2002, 11:37 PM

Actually the imp. is 4 ohm on the BOSE tweets on 2K2s. We've had extensive discussions on it.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by Neal728
Actually the imp. is 4 ohm on the BOSE tweets on 2K2s. We've had extensive discussions on it.
Any idea on the NON-Bose?