Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Need help for a friend......

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 02:44 PM

Need help for a friend......

My friend has a system in his car, 2 12's powered by an MTX amp...He has a power cap. The problem is his battrery keeps dying. He had one die, bought a brand new Die Hard, and it died in 1 day...I looked at his system this morning, and he has 4 awg power wire going from the battery to the cap, but only 8 awg from the cap to the amp, and 4 awg ground....Could that wiring be the reason for the problems he is having ??? If he put 4 awg from the cap to the amp, what difference will that make.....
Old 06-25-2002, 04:17 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Re: Need help for a friend......

Originally posted by SilverMax98
My friend has a system in his car, 2 12's powered by an MTX amp...He has a power cap. The problem is his battrery keeps dying. He had one die, bought a brand new Die Hard, and it died in 1 day...I looked at his system this morning, and he has 4 awg power wire going from the battery to the cap, but only 8 awg from the cap to the amp, and 4 awg ground....Could that wiring be the reason for the problems he is having ??? If he put 4 awg from the cap to the amp, what difference will that make.....

ALL of his power/ground wires should be of the same gauge. Regardless that should not kill the battery. Have him check the alternator. If the car is using the battery and the alternator doesnt recharge it then theres the prob...

my $.02
Old 06-25-2002, 06:23 PM

Re: Need help for a friend......

I agree, sounds like an alternator issue. Have him take it to the dealership, or reputable shop, and they can test it very quickly. Did he charge the Cap properly? I understand that the charging process is crucial to battery/alternator health.

Good Luck!
Old 06-25-2002, 08:16 PM

well, we just got done putting an alternator in his car, so we'll see if that was the problem... But he should change the 8 awg wire from the cap to the amp right ??
Old 06-25-2002, 08:35 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

well, we just got done putting an alternator in his car, so we'll see if that was the problem... But he should change the 8 awg wire from the cap to the amp right ??
YES !!! ALL power/ground wires MUST be the SAME gauge in and out.Otherwise its like trying to spray a garden hose into a straw....think of it that way
Old 06-25-2002, 08:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Pearl96Max

YES !!! ALL power/ground wires MUST be the SAME gauge in and out.Otherwise its like trying to spray a garden hose into a straw....think of it that way
OMG, ROFLMAO, hahahaahhahahaha I love that, garden hose to straw, than you thats the perfect explaination.
MrGone