Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

How many Watts do our stock speakers have?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 07:24 PM
pro

How many Watts do our stock speakers have?

I have a 4th gen non bose. I am tired of the stock system and will be getting a new one this weekend, nothing too fancy but something that will turn a few heads and sound good. I don't know what speakers to get so I want to know how many watts our stock ones do so I know how much I should go up.
Thanks,
Paul
Old 06-25-2002, 08:06 PM

Re: How many Watts do our stock speakers have?

Originally posted by pro
I have a 4th gen non bose. I am tired of the stock system and will be getting a new one this weekend, nothing too fancy but something that will turn a few heads and sound good. I don't know what speakers to get so I want to know how many watts our stock ones do so I know how much I should go up.
Thanks,
Paul
stock speakers handle 15 watts
Old 06-26-2002, 09:08 AM
pro

Wow that's pretty crappy, 100 watts should be a huge improvement. What would you guys say is the best set up for $350. I need an amp, a sub, and the front speakers. I know you guys thing this wont get me much but I dont need the best set up out there just something to sound decent. Currently I found a good set up at best buy for $350. It's those sony 100 watt speakers, a 4 channel 100 watt amp, and a 150 watt sub and a kit. I'm new to all this car audio stuff so any advice would be appreciated. Also do those expensive kits that connect your amp make a big difference over the 40 or 50 dollar ones?
Thanks,
Paul
Old 06-26-2002, 10:13 AM
I'm so hood

Dang paul...a $350 budget for those components? Come on now, save up at least a bit more money Or at least don't go running into best buy and lock away on that system - for instance, you could probably get a lot better front speakers for the same price as the sony's BB's trying to sell you. Personally, two years ago I bought the best standard-consumer-line Sony 2-way 6.5s that ran like, $119.99. They were pretty disappointing. I spent the same amount on my current Eclipse 6.5 coaxials recently, and man...talk about better bang for your buck. On the front speaker note, just saying you might if possible want to shop around a bit more.

Do you still have the stock head unit? If so...what are you planning on using the amp for, the sub? If you still have the stock hu and are using the amp for the sub...(I'll skip the discussion here about the kind of quality you'll get connecting a $100 best buy jensen amp at speaker-level with a $50 best buy low end sub), then your speakers are gonna be hurting. It's not the power handling of the speaker thats important here - those sonys might be able to take 100w, but if your stock hu is still powering them, power output won't change from stock (it'll be a glorious like, 7 watts rms x 4, 15-20w x 4 max, not to mention quality of power).

For me, there's "decent", and there's "well, this kinda sucks but I don't have much money", but then there's "not even worth it" in car audio...and going with the cheapest equipment Best Buy has to offer falls into the latter category, esp if you're still using your stock hu.

Let me know what you think about that. Personally if I was in the sitch where I had $350 to throw down on a completely stock non-bose system, I'd probably start just by getting a head unit...if you get a cheap hu, you might be able to afford new front speakers. I'd buy new speaker wire for 'em, something like everyday shielded 16ga, and get that installed/install it, then save up a bit for an amp and sub later on.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:28 AM

cheap eh..

Dude don't laugh but this is what I did. I went to walmart and got a Jensen amp for $99.00 a convertor to convert speaker level inputs to RCA for about $15.00 and the wiring kit for $29.99. Then I went and bought 2 10" kicker comps subs with the enclosed box for $250.00 so that is pretty close to what you are looking for.

The amp is 150 watts RMS and the subs are 125w RMS. BASS is awesome. don't get me wrong I've heard better. but you can't beat it for the price!

Hope that helps,
Junior P Zilver
http://www.holyrollerz.com

Originally posted by pro
Wow that's pretty crappy, 100 watts should be a huge improvement. What would you guys say is the best set up for $350. I need an amp, a sub, and the front speakers. I know you guys thing this wont get me much but I dont need the best set up out there just something to sound decent. Currently I found a good set up at best buy for $350. It's those sony 100 watt speakers, a 4 channel 100 watt amp, and a 150 watt sub and a kit. I'm new to all this car audio stuff so any advice would be appreciated. Also do those expensive kits that connect your amp make a big difference over the 40 or 50 dollar ones?
Thanks,
Paul
Old 06-26-2002, 10:59 AM

check ikesound.com buy a jbl 300.1 for $145 and your set for your subs. as for sony.. dont buy it, many more brands r twice as good for the same price, just becaise it says sony doesnt mean its good in car audio.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:04 AM
pro

Thanks for the info. I have a panasonic head unit that gives like 50 watts per channel. Don't you need an amp if you want to run 100 watts per channer since my HU doesn't support it? Also which speakers would you recommend for no more then $100 a pair? If I don't need an amp that would be great, those damn things are expensive. I know I sound a little cheap but I want to put more money in on how my car looks and performs, I don't want to spend everything on how it sounds.
Thanks,
Paul
Old 06-26-2002, 12:15 PM

So you already have a fine HU...you don't need more than 50watts per channel. Now I would get a cheap amp...maybe a Jensen or Radio Shack model. Since this am is cheap it will not be able to power your speakers...use it only to power the subs. Now since you don't need a super duper system...get any decent inexpensive sub for around $150 you should be able to find something, even Best Buy would work. Next I would buy some speakers from a good brand like Eclipse or JL but get their lower end models...that way you should be able to get a set for around $100. Next get a regular install kit and have someone install it for you for a cheap price...aka. ask a friend to do it(everyone knows someone who's into car stereo's). This total system would run you about $300 but at least you'd have a nice sounding car.
I know everything is pretty vague but if you need to know what brands to get just ask. Also look around the net..you can get some good deals on ebay too. The only thing is I would not buy speakers or subs on ebay...but a HU and an Amp is fine.
Just remember....get a cheap amp and a cheap sub....bass either sounds really good and clean(which yours won't unless you spend money) or it sounds fine. It's hard for bass to sound bad unless the box is constructed wrong or your car rattles(which won't depend on what equipment u have).
Hope that helps somehow.

Roman
Old 06-26-2002, 12:32 PM
pro

Thanks. I really want 100 watts for my speakers but I might just get 50, and acutally I just looked and my HU supports 45 (pretty much the same). The reason I am buying at bestbuy is because they give you a free sub worth $70 (or if you want one for $200 they will subtract that) when you buy an amp. So you guys dont think it's a good idea to have a amp power the speakers? This would save me money but I want the speakers to produce a nice sound. My friend has a really nice and loud sub but crappy speakers so you can't even hear the words in the song, just the bass.
Thanks,
Paul
Originally posted by roman
So you already have a fine HU...you don't need more than 50watts per channel. Now I would get a cheap amp...maybe a Jensen or Radio Shack model. Since this am is cheap it will not be able to power your speakers...use it only to power the subs. Now since you don't need a super duper system...get any decent inexpensive sub for around $150 you should be able to find something, even Best Buy would work. Next I would buy some speakers from a good brand like Eclipse or JL but get their lower end models...that way you should be able to get a set for around $100. Next get a regular install kit and have someone install it for you for a cheap price...aka. ask a friend to do it(everyone knows someone who's into car stereo's). This total system would run you about $300 but at least you'd have a nice sounding car.
I know everything is pretty vague but if you need to know what brands to get just ask. Also look around the net..you can get some good deals on ebay too. The only thing is I would not buy speakers or subs on ebay...but a HU and an Amp is fine.
Just remember....get a cheap amp and a cheap sub....bass either sounds really good and clean(which yours won't unless you spend money) or it sounds fine. It's hard for bass to sound bad unless the box is constructed wrong or your car rattles(which won't depend on what equipment u have).
Hope that helps somehow.

Roman
Old 06-26-2002, 01:09 PM
I'm so hood

Paul - OK, didn't know you had an aftermarket hu. That opens things up a bit. I'm not sure on BB's eq, so I can't recommend you an amp, but it sounds like the free sub with an amp deal would fit your needs pretty well.

As far as the speakers go, for $100? The eclipses I have were $120, the shop usually knocks some price off but the older asst mgr that I dont know rang me up that time, so that's full floor price. Check out crutchfield.com for reference or ask on here specifically what coaxials would fit the front pods for around $100 - you'd be surprised, it seems a lot of 6.5s don't fit w/o minor modification. Oversized 6.5s (6.75s) seem to be the ticket, but I got my eclipses to fit (there was a tiny gap on one side, just sealed it with silicone gasket sealant).

For a normal aftermarket 45x4 hu, most coaxials that take about...30-65W rms (roughly 75-125W max) will work OK on deck power, but I would just do the front 2 and detatch the rears. The eclipses I have seem real efficient - they sound fine running off my 60x4 alpine.

You'll be up and bumpin in no time.
Old 06-26-2002, 03:49 PM
pro

Originally posted by blizz20oma
Paul - OK, didn't know you had an aftermarket hu. That opens things up a bit. I'm not sure on BB's eq, so I can't recommend you an amp, but it sounds like the free sub with an amp deal would fit your needs pretty well.

As far as the speakers go, for $100? The eclipses I have were $120, the shop usually knocks some price off but the older asst mgr that I dont know rang me up that time, so that's full floor price. Check out crutchfield.com for reference or ask on here specifically what coaxials would fit the front pods for around $100 - you'd be surprised, it seems a lot of 6.5s don't fit w/o minor modification. Oversized 6.5s (6.75s) seem to be the ticket, but I got my eclipses to fit (there was a tiny gap on one side, just sealed it with silicone gasket sealant).

For a normal aftermarket 45x4 hu, most coaxials that take about...30-65W rms (roughly 75-125W max) will work OK on deck power, but I would just do the front 2 and detatch the rears. The eclipses I have seem real efficient - they sound fine running off my 60x4 alpine.

You'll be up and bumpin in no time.
Thanks for the info. Did you mean $100 for just the cables? I don't know if I want those monster cables right now as they as too much for my budget. I have a bunck of extra optic monster cables for my home system but I dought those will work. I could propably get it for $100 as I have done a lot of business with the sales manager at Ultimate Electronics, I have bought over $4000 with him for my home theater speakers so he better give me a discount. So you don't think I should get the amp and the subs right now? Also when people make custom boxes do they make it just out of wood or do they use a special material, I would like to do something custom to make my trunk look nice so I need to know which material I should use.
Thanks,
Paul
Old 06-26-2002, 06:36 PM

make sure u look at rms instead of max....like decks with 50 watts max only really push out 22 rms which is true power...umm...just get someone @ best buy to hook u up...everything u were talkin about i could get for like 150 i think...that's how much of a markup there is...i should know...i work there
Old 06-27-2002, 06:52 AM
I'm so hood

I think if you have $350 to spend on the amp, sub(s), and speakers, you could get it all done if you go with the Best Buy amp/sub deal. As far as amp kits/cables go, with the equipment it sounds like you'll be using, an everyday like, $50 Stinger kit would work fine, something like that. I dunno what you'd buy for speakers though, esp if you were staying at Best Buy for that. I don't even know if they sell any 6.75s at BB - most of the speakers there will prob take minor modification to fit. If you wanna look elsewhere, you might start another thread asking about which coaxials using aftermarket hu power would work best in our front doors for around $100.

People usually build boxes out of MDF, medium-density fiberboard. If your sub isn't that loud, 1/2" thickness would be fine.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:09 AM
pro

That you all for the help. I will go back to best buy on Saturday or Friday and ask them some of these questions. Life, you should give me that discount .
Thanks,
Paul
Old 06-27-2002, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by pro
That you all for the help. I will go back to best buy on Saturday or Friday and ask them some of these questions. Life, you should give me that discount .
Thanks,
Paul
lol...i have bought 5 car decks, 6 pairs of speakers, 3 amps...hmmm....and i haven't gotten caught yet...do u live in kali?