Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Where Can I get a headunit

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 08:39 AM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Where Can I get a headunit

I'm not looking for anything special, just a decent headunit that can run my stock gxe system, the rear deck has a pair of jbl's, ill later add an amp and a pair of 12's in a box.

My price range is around 200 and under. If anyone has a used one in good condition i'll take a look at that too
Old 06-27-2002, 10:16 AM

Where can you get a head unit? Well you should be able to look at ones of all price ranges at your local audio shop. I think even Best Buy and Circuit City have these as well but I would check out a place that specializes in car audio to look at some head units.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by ReichMax97
Where can you get a head unit? Well you should be able to look at ones of all price ranges at your local audio shop. I think even Best Buy and Circuit City have these as well but I would check out a place that specializes in car audio to look at some head units.
well i figured that, but I want a recommendation b/c all the ratings etc. are foreign language to me. Also I wanted to get one that would fit flush and is easy 2 install.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by seximagtr

well i figured that, but I want a recommendation b/c all the ratings etc. are foreign language to me. Also I wanted to get one that would fit flush and is easy 2 install.
Well in that case, when you go into one of these places to get a deck, have someone there help you. Look at some prices and question the things you are wondering about. As far as installation and fitting flush, that isn't the easiest thing to do yourself, and I would reccomend getting that done professionally. It really isn't that hard, tell them what kind of speakers you have (how many watts they are if you know) and they should be able to show you a deck with the proper power to run your speakers. I think you should be able to get a decent head unit for around 200 dollars. Hope this helps a little bit, good luck
Old 06-27-2002, 01:04 PM

how bout these: Kenwood KDC-316Y and Kenwood KGC-90444 w/ equalizer.

I can get kenwood stuff @ wholesale prices but i want 2 know the quality. I've got JBL 6.5 120 watt speakers in the rear, and stock in front(non bose).

btw, for those jbls i have, will having a headunit make a difference in sound? how bout adding an amp? The reason I ask is when i crank it all the way up, the sound gets all distorted like the speakers cant handle the power..
Old 06-27-2002, 01:09 PM
I'm so hood

It's probably more an issue of the JBLs not getting the power they need. The stock head unit powering all 4 speakers barely puts out any power, not to mention possible distortion issues due to high heat (my old clarion head unit used to crap out bad in the hot summer months when I powered 4 speakers with it....was a gradual kind of thing as it overheated), and I'm guessing thin stock speaker wire.
You also might make sure the JBLs are mounted nice and snug/tightly.

Sound quality on the JBLs should improve a bit once you get an aftermarket hu.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by seximagtr
how bout these: Kenwood KDC-316Y and Kenwood KGC-90444 w/ equalizer.

I can get kenwood stuff @ wholesale prices but i want 2 know the quality. I've got JBL 6.5 120 watt speakers in the rear, and stock in front(non bose).

btw, for those jbls i have, will having a headunit make a difference in sound? how bout adding an amp? The reason I ask is when i crank it all the way up, the sound gets all distorted like the speakers cant handle the power..
I'm not an expert on those Kenwood products, so I'm sorry but as far as your distortion when you turn it up, is it all 4 speakers, or just the stock fronts? I don't know much about those JBL speakers either although it looks as though they're decent. Yes a head unit will make a difference in sound. I don't know what kind of power output the stock head units put out but I'd be willing to bet an aftermarket deck would make your JBL's sound a lot better, as far as the stock speakers, I'm not sure. I'd get those replaced anyhow (Just my opinion). I wouldn't get an amp just for your speakers. With a decent head unit, you'll have enough power to run whatever speakers you have decently. I would say your rear speakers are fine powerwise, but the stocks aren't meant to sound good when cranked, so I'd get a good deck and some new front speakers and I think it will sound better.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:16 PM

I tightened the seal in the rear and it sounds much better, full base at full volume, but the fronts still rattle, I think it's time for new headunits AND new front speakers, anyone have recommendations for the speakers? I actually like the jbl's, but wouldnt mind more bass