Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

question bout neons in interior

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 07:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

question bout neons in interior

i just installed neons in the driver and passenger side footwells. rite now they are wired to my cigarette lighter fuse and a switch that i put in. that means that in order for them to turn on, my key has to be at least turned to the ACC position. anybody have any ideas where else I can wire the power to so i can turn them off even without my key in the ignition? thanx.
Old 07-05-2002, 08:03 PM

Re: question bout neons in interior

Originally posted by aznsap
i just installed neons in the driver and passenger side footwells. rite now they are wired to my cigarette lighter fuse and a switch that i put in. that means that in order for them to turn on, my key has to be at least turned to the ACC position. anybody have any ideas where else I can wire the power to so i can turn them off even without my key in the ignition? thanx.
Please, Please don't take this wrong, but why would you want to do this? Maybe I'm just an old fart, and just don't understand, but I seriously would like to know why this would be done.
Old 07-05-2002, 09:11 PM

so i can see my floor better at nite
Old 07-05-2002, 11:09 PM

why don't u just do it straight to the battery?
Old 07-07-2002, 10:58 AM
Dev

Re: question bout neons in interior

doesn't the cigarette lighter work even without the key in the ignition? i have neons in my grand prix which were hooked up to the cigarette lighter temporarily and they would not go off until i pulled the plug, with or without the key.
i hooked mine up to my fog lights so they would come on at night, and would go off as i shut off the car. if you want them to go on getting into the car, hook it up to your dome lights or lights on the door panel, which is what a friend of mine did.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:15 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Re: Re: question bout neons in interior

Originally posted by Dev

doesn't the cigarette lighter work even without the key in the ignition? i have neons in my grand prix which were hooked up to the cigarette lighter temporarily and they would not go off until i pulled the plug, with or without the key.
i hooked mine up to my fog lights so they would come on at night, and would go off as i shut off the car. if you want them to go on getting into the car, hook it up to your dome lights or lights on the door panel, which is what a friend of mine did.
Maxima cigarrette plugs go dead if the key isn't turned. At least that's the case in my 97 gxe auto.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:18 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Run it straight to the battery...but risk battery drainage. Better to have the plug source. Carry a flashlight man, or use the dome light...switch the bulb to the matching neon color if you have to...
Old 07-08-2002, 10:09 AM

so i can see my floor better at nite
wire it to ash tray light OR fuse box OR battery(last choice)
Old 07-08-2002, 10:39 AM

Night Club on wheels
Old 07-08-2002, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by itsgt

wire it to ash tray light OR fuse box OR battery(last choice)
ya, rite now they're wired to the fuse. what did u wire urs to? if i wire them to the ashtray, will they always have power? rite now, they only turn on if mah key is at least in teh ACC position.