Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

amp problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 07:29 AM

amp problems

Hi Guys,

I have a 2k2 SE6sp. I put in 2x10s Kicker Comps and a Jensen Amp. 2x150watts@4ohms.

Yesterday I was driving to work and the amp did not turn on immediately I drove for about 200ft then it started up, it worked great for the rest of the day.

Today it was the opposite it worked as soon as I started the car, but about 200ft down the road it turned off. so i get to work check the fuse on the amp itself and it was ok.

My amp is only about 9mths old is it possible to have burnt it? Please help. How do I know if it's the amp or faulty wiring?

Old 07-09-2002, 07:45 AM

YOu have a BAby AMP. YOur Speakers require more power than your amp can dis out therefore it is shuting itself down. YOu can defeat this by turning your gain down.
Old 07-09-2002, 07:45 AM

hi junior,
be glad to help, unfortunately, need a little more info...how is this amp hooked up to your stereo? is it aftermarket or factory?
Old 07-09-2002, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by H.N.I.C.95
YOu have a BAby AMP. YOur Speakers require more power than your amp can dis out therefore it is shuting itself down. YOu can defeat this by turning your gain down.
it's more than that really, power issues won't cause a startup delay or signal shut down...I think it is in the input signal myself.
150 watts it o.k. for those subs really, won't cause any record level bass but 150 watts will make a kicker 10 play o.k.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:35 AM

Your problem is similar to the problem I had. I had my RF 600w amp hooked up to my 2 12 Eclipse once i turned the gain down no problems
Old 07-09-2002, 08:39 AM

It's hooked up to my stock HU. with a speaker level to rca convertor.

So if it's shutting down by itstelf becaue of power will it start back up?

J.

Originally posted by slickonetoo
hi junior,
be glad to help, unfortunately, need a little more info...how is this amp hooked up to your stereo? is it aftermarket or factory?
Old 07-09-2002, 09:08 AM

with that said, what h is aying is mostly right.I would say that the levels on the amp and the converter aren't matching..do you have access to a multimeter?
or does the converter have light "clip" indicators on it? you need to turn your radio up to about 3/4 volume and if it has lights, turn the gains up to where there the light comes on...then back it down slightly to where the lights go off..then do the same for the amp..chances are, the amp wont have clip lights so you have to do it by ear if a meter isn't available..
Old 07-09-2002, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by slickonetoo
with that said, what h is aying is mostly right.I would say that the levels on the amp and the converter aren't matching..do you have access to a multimeter?
or does the converter have light "clip" indicators on it? you need to turn your radio up to about 3/4 volume and if it has lights, turn the gains up to where there the light comes on...then back it down slightly to where the lights go off..then do the same for the amp..chances are, the amp wont have clip lights so you have to do it by ear if a meter isn't available..
That makes sense guys. Thanks! you guys Rock!